cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't update bios :(

bcfromva
Level 7
My PC recently has an issue where when it wakes up from any kind of low-power state the CPU multiplier is stuck at 8, making it nearly impossible to do anything. I figure this may be a BIOS problem, so I attempted to update my BIOS to 3402 through the UEFI.

The BIOS update was reported successful, however when the machine reboots, it shows the splash screen and then displays "BIOS Updating, please do not shut down or reboot your computer." However, after 10-15 seconds the computer reboots itself and continues this reboot loop until it gets sick of failing and boots into the other BIOS (thank god for dual BIOS). I then attempted to update the BIOS using the ROG connect method with the same problem.

Any ideas? I need to fix the CPU multiplier problem 😞

Some system info:
CPU: i7-5930K
PSU: Corsair HX1000
Memory: Corsair Vengeance CMK16GX4M4A2800C16 8 x 4GB
GPU: 2 x EVGA GTX 980 SC
SSD: Samsung 850 Pro
Windows 10

Thanks in advance.
12 REPLIES 12

Chino
Level 15

It was reverting to a 2014 version of the BIOS. However, I gave it another go this morning and it finally updated.

Unfortunately, the new BIOS caused a new problem. The PC now crashes and reboots itself when I leave it idle.

Any thoughts on this?

Chino wrote:
It reboots a few times during the BIOS update. Have you checked your BIOS to see if it updated successfully?

AI Suite shows a 2% overclock, but I haven't changed anything since I installed the new BIOS, so I don't know where that came from.

Also, just now had a hard reboot while I was using it (as opposed to being idle). I was just on Chrome browsing a website. This was about 2 minutes after it had been on all day (and not used).

Chino wrote:
Is this with the PC at stock defaults?

Chino
Level 15
Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock defaults for me. Also if you have AI Suite installed, remove it for now.

Okay; I uninstalled AI Suite and cleared the CMOS. Should I also "load optimized defaults"?

Chino wrote:
Clear your CMOS and test your system at stock defaults for me. Also if you have AI Suite installed, remove it for now.

It hasn't crashed in 24 hours. Should I re-try AI Suite or does that not work with 3402?

I take back my last post; crashed today while in use. No blue screen, just a hard reboot with no warning.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Hopper64
Level 15
Tested your memory? All power cables secured? 8 and 4-pin power CPU power sockets populated?
MZ790AE, GSkill F5-8400J4052G24GX2-TZ5RK, 14900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ HK block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Crucial T705, Windows 11 Pro