cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can boot into Windows 10 fine with oc, but freeze when running optimized defaults.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I'm trying to boot into Windows 10 to update my 660 ti to the uefi bios. I'm on rve firmware 1701. I hit f5 for optimized defaults, and Windows completely freezes when trying to launch startup programs. I boot up into refind first, and select windows from there. I also have secure boot disabled for now.

I can boot perfectly fine when overclocked.

Have any suggestions for booting without oc?

Cpu: 5930k
18 REPLIES 18

Nocturney
Level 7
Wow, I actually have exactly the same problem !
I had a thought that maybe the windows was somehow defined and optimized using the overclocked settings, because I installed mine after overclocking the CPU.
Perhaps doing a clean install on stock settings could fix it, but I haven't try it yet..
Or maybe I'm completely wrong with my thought and someone could know or explain better 🙂

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I guess that's possible. I could always just toss a small windows install on my flash drive, and see how it runs.

Menthol
Level 14
It's probably best to always install your OS using default settings but I don't think that is the problem, default settings may not be applying the voltages needed for memory stability, try setting your dram voltage at the memory manufacturers XMP rated settings manually and maybe your CPU input and Sa voltages to what you use for your overclocked settings to see if that stabilizes your system

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I tried setting input, dram, and vsa voltage with no luck.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
Almost done with one pass of memtest on the ram. So far looks fine. . Think it could be uncore degradation?

Same exact issue here. Sent the board in to Asus for repair, but no joy, still unstable at default settings.
Replaced the ram, but that too made no difference. The only way to get the system stable was to lower the
memory speed to 2000mhz. I'm starting to think the processors IMC is going bad. Taking the system to a
shop to rule that out. I'll report back with what I find.

Chino
Level 15
Zarathustraa wrote:
I'm trying to boot into Windows 10 to update my 660 ti to the uefi bios. I'm on rve firmware 1701. I hit f5 for optimized defaults, and Windows completely freezes when trying to launch startup programs. I boot up into refind first, and select windows from there. I also have secure boot disabled for now.

I can boot perfectly fine when overclocked.

Have any suggestions for booting without oc?

Cpu: 5930k

OS corruption is a possibility. Clear your CMOS then do a clean Windows install.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
I think it's the cpu starting to degrade. I booted up the live Intel processor diagnostic tool, and the computer locked up shortly after starting the tests. Intel mentions to run the tool at stock settings. Does anyone know if it's safe to run it with stock speeds and raised voltage?

I don't know if this is related, but rve lists the processor overclocked speed at 4.35, even though settings are dialed in for 4.6. Cpuz lists it at 4.6 in Windows. Could 4.35 just be an average of cache and cpu speed?