cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bizarre behavior

squawker
Level 11
Hi all,

R5E is an amazing heavy board, and its components are top notch.

Having said that, i’m having a hard time to solve a problem with it:

- booting on restart gets stuck on code 79 for about 2 minutes, after that boot is OK.

Additional information with 0705 bios:
- starting from power off booting is always OK.
- when bios is stuck on 79 code, the VGA LED is on.
- on restart, after the 2 min delay, entering bios setup, BOOT Device LED is on, what is correct i suppose.
- all PCIE Lane LED indicators, beside PCIe switch, are off, not indicating the PCIe_ x16_1 slot where the video card is!
- each time starting from power off, the network adapter is disabled, i need to restart it on Device Manager (on hot boot, it is OK)
- on Main menu, ME Version is N/A, what is very odd!!

Additional info with 0403 bios that is on support DVD:
- same conditions that 0705 bios, but the PCIe16_1 led indicator is on, as it should be.

My components are:
- cpu 5960X (at stock)
- ram ripjaws 3000 (with DRAM Frequency and Timing Control set at AUTO)
- video cards gtx 690 or 980
- PSU Corsair AX 1200
- SSD Samsung 840 PRO 256GB
- W7 home premium

The Event viewer has the error: "Intel Management Engine Interface driver has failed to perform handshake with the firmware" which is an event ID 3, source MEIx64.

Any ideas? Are bios chips bad? I have done all usual checks, re installed CPU, flashed bios with only PSU installed.
Thanks
Valdir
10 REPLIES 10

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Sounds like a bad bios chip have you tired the 2nd bios ?

Thanks for the replies,

Sounds like a bad bios chip have you tired the 2nd bios ?

Bios1 has the 0403 firmware and bios 2 the 0705 firmware, and both get stuck on 79 Q code on restart. Only difference is that with 0403 PCIe16_1 led indicator is on, and with 0705 is off. This happens with both gtx 690 or 980 in PCIE_X16_1 slot.
Same happens if i put vídeo card in slot PCIE_x16_3.

Does sound like bad BIOS....how did you flash BIOS, BIOS flashback method I presume? Did the flash work...i.e. did the BIOS light flash for over a minute etc.?

Maybe download a fresh BIOS file...rename R5E and then place on pendrive formatted in diskpart http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post398383

I have tried flashing bios with both flashback and ASUS EZ Flash 2, with same results.

Apparently both method went OK, that is, first bios1 or bios2 led was flashing and after system reboots to finish update.

Most interesting is that in bios Main menu, ME Version is N/A, what i have not seen before!

I remenber i saw in X79 RIVE thread people flashing bios with a new MEI version, but i dont know the procedure and i suppose it is beyond my skills...

I did not use diskpart to format the pendrives, but suspecting something could be wrong with the pendrive, i used 3 different types
of pendrive, always with same results.

I suspect i have both bios chips bad.

Thanks and any other suggestion is welcome.

squawker wrote:
Most interesting is that in bios Main menu, ME Version is N/A, what i have not seen before!

Hello

If this is seen with both BIOS have the BIOS chips reprogrammed or RMA the board.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Does sound like bad BIOS....how did you flash BIOS, BIOS flashback method I presume? Did the flash work...i.e. did the BIOS light flash for over a minute etc.?

Maybe download a fresh BIOS file...rename R5E and then place on pendrive formatted in diskpart http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?46802-please-i-need-help-with-Rampage-Extreme-iv&p=398383&v...

Chino
Level 15
1. Clear your CMOS.
2. Flash your BIOS to the newest 0706 version using an USB pendrive with the EZ Flash utility or USB BIOS Flashback. Whichever is easier for you.
3. Once the process has finished, shutdown your system.
4. Clear your CMOS again.
5. Go into the BIOS and load the optimized defaults.

And here's a few things to check:
1. Slow Mode switch is turned off.
2. LN2 Mode jumper is in the disabled position.
3. If you have the OC Panel connected, pop the cover off and make sure both the Slow Mode and Pause button are in the off position.

squawker
Level 11
Hi,

Updating: things went from bad to worse, as if it were possible lol

Now bios1 chip is fried, getting only code 00.

After flashing bios2 to 0706, following Chino instructions, the issues indicated im my first post were not solved, and on Main menu, ME Version remained N/A.

After that, during a normal (?) bios operation copying bios2 to bios1, it was killed outright, so i suspect, with too many issues, mobo was defective from start.

My first bad rog board from ASUS but a new one is under way.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

squawker
Level 11
Update: new board and everything is running fine, now with UEFI raid0 2 x Samsung 840PRO.

So, the old board was bad by birth and gave me a lot of work because i was not believing it was defective.

Now have to find here a good cooler for cpu.

Praz
Level 13
Hello

The procedure I laid out in my above post was evident as the only solution from the screenshot in your first post. Regardless how many times or the method used to flash the BIOS would not end in anything other than failure.

squawker
Level 11
Hi Praz,

Yes, you were correct but i was reluctant to admit that after having so many ROG boards without any defect, i was rewarded with a bad one, and one recently launched that is very difficult to find in my country.

As you have said, one possibility is to reprogram bios chip and i checked in some places how to do this, but the procedure(s) is/are very involved at least for me, and results seems to be not guaranteed.

i’d like to thanks you and all people in this Forum that always are helping those in trouble with their equipment!