cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Update for eDrive support (Samsung 960)

linxeye
Level 8
Hello,

I'd like to know if Asus plans to udpate X99 BIOSes providing full support of Microsoft eDrive technology. This to allow enabling BitLocker on a Samsung 960 EVO/PRO set as boot drive.

Apparently Samsung support says motherboards need a BIOS update to support eDrive (see: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/memoryandstorage/thread-id/1...)

"After investigating the HW encryption problems from a compatibility point of view, we found this issue can be only be fixed with a BIOS update by the motherboard manufacturers.
Through technical collaboration with one of the major BIOS chipset companies, we have verified that a new BIOS update of the motherboard BIOS works well with the H/W encryption function in our SSD drives. We will continue to verify the solution with the other BIOS chipset companies.
We expect that the motherboard manufacturers will publicize the information of their BIOS updates for a solution."

Thanks.
623 Views
5 REPLIES 5

dk2463
Level 7
Thank you for bringing this up. Totally. Would like to see this addressed.

linxeye wrote:
Hello,

I'd like to know if Asus plans to udpate X99 BIOSes providing full support of Microsoft eDrive technology. This to allow enabling BitLocker on a Samsung 960 EVO/PRO set as boot drive.

Apparently Samsung support says motherboards need a BIOS update to support eDrive (see: https://us.community.samsung.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/memoryandstorage/thread-id/1...)

"After investigating the HW encryption problems from a compatibility point of view, we found this issue can be only be fixed with a BIOS update by the motherboard manufacturers.
Through technical collaboration with one of the major BIOS chipset companies, we have verified that a new BIOS update of the motherboard BIOS works well with the H/W encryption function in our SSD drives. We will continue to verify the solution with the other BIOS chipset companies.
We expect that the motherboard manufacturers will publicize the information of their BIOS updates for a solution."

Thanks.

Hi

dk2463 wrote:
Thank you for bringing this up. Totally. Would like to see this addressed.


Just to add I would also like to see support of this and have Samsung 960 Pro. I tried to ask Asus about this so called BIOS fix that Samsung has taken a year to work out is required, but I couldn't get past first line support to get a sensible answer.

Regards

Phil

linxeye
Level 8
I guess that now applies to 970... as well ? Any update Asus ?

linxeye wrote:
I guess that now applies to 970... as well ? Any update Asus ?


Yes, and Samsung are refusing to provide any sort of qualified hardware list for eDrive support, probably because there is no hardware that supports it.

Asus has not sold the motherboards saying the eDrive feature is supported, and given their lack of input so far would suggest they have no inclination to add support to existing products.

It is possible to get Opal working, and typing a password in a pre-boot OS, however this doesn't support standby/sleep, so once Windows sleeps and wakes up the system crashes as Windows can't access the drive anymore. Of course it is just a case of disabling standby (hibernate still works as that is a full reboot and allows the pre-boot to run and unlock the drive), but it's a pain on a laptop not to have standby.

Regards

Phil

linxeye wrote:
I guess that now applies to 970... as well ? Any update Asus ?


yes Unfortunately, asus really needs to stop ignoring this problem that is on-going for more than 1 year and releasea bios update.Not even the 1 month old z390 series have this bug fixed.Really sad to see this being an asus fan.