cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best BIOS configuration

drdushan
Level 7
Hello guys I trying already for couple weeks to find best BIOS configuration (most stable and good performance) but this is not easy task 😉

I have ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME with CPU Intel Core i7-5960X (water cooled) and 64GB of Memory Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2800MHz C16 Memory Kit (CMD32GX4M4A2800C16).

Now my problems is sometimes BIOS just get stuck, also when I want to restart computer from Windows 8.1 computer doesn't want to restart ... I need to shut down then turn on again ...

Also I experience that computer sometimes, but just sometimes turning on on his own ... I did check everything and I think its BIOS problem ... Another problem is network driver. When I install last windows patch computer doesn't recognize network card just Wi-Fi connection. I have to delete connection and hit refresh then computer will recognize network card. I think this is driver problem I don't know if anybody else has same experience with Windows 8.1 ...

Tonight I downloaded BIOS 0901 so I will see if I will be more lucky. But I would appreciate if somebody has experience with components what I have to share settings.

Thanks in advance
10 REPLIES 10

Avenger411
Level 10
drdushan wrote:
Hello guys I trying already for couple weeks to find best BIOS configuration (most stable and good performance) but this is not easy task 😉

I have ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME with CPU Intel Core i7-5960X (water cooled) and 64GB of Memory Dominator® Platinum Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 DRAM 2800MHz C16 Memory Kit (CMD32GX4M4A2800C16).

Now my problems is sometimes BIOS just get stuck, also when I want to restart computer from Windows 8.1 computer doesn't want to restart ... I need to shut down then turn on again ...

Also I experience that computer sometimes, but just sometimes turning on on his own ... I did check everything and I think its BIOS problem ... Another problem is network driver. When I install last windows patch computer doesn't recognize network card just Wi-Fi connection. I have to delete connection and hit refresh then computer will recognize network card. I think this is driver problem I don't know if anybody else has same experience with Windows 8.1 ...

Tonight I downloaded BIOS 0901 so I will see if I will be more lucky. But I would appreciate if somebody has experience with components what I have to share settings.

Thanks in advance

Hey!

Okay one problem at a time 😄

First of all you say you have 64gb of 32gb dominator platinum 4x8gb which one is the correct ? if you have mixed different kits, you may have some problems.

Second, when you say bios gets stuck. Do you mean it gets stuck during post ? if so, check the Q-code indicator and tell us what code you see.

Third, When you say your computer doesn't want to restart, when you click "restart" it does nothing ? or you get a black screen ? or the computer shuts down ? please explain a little bit more.

Fourth, When you say windows doesn't recognize the network card, do you still see it in the "device manager" ? the network card as you are referring should be called " Intel (R) Ethernet Connection (2) U218-V ". Plus, have you installed network drivers from the cd or from windows update ? i'd recommend staying with the ones on the cd if that's the case.

Fifth, Good you've put your bios up to date!. If you were @802 and now @901 chances are that you'll be getting the same problems. But still, doing a full bios flash could help in your case!
- Clear Cmos
- Flash Bios
- Clear Cmos again (just for the sake of it :D)
- Boot into bios and apply "optimized settings"
- Reboot
- Conquer the world!

There you go so from my point of view we're missing information on your problems. Explain in details every single problem and there will be a bunch of people trying to help you 🙂

Hope all goes well !

Thanks

Max
Cpu : Intel 5930K@4.25ghz@1.2v / Cache @4.25ghz@1.20v
Cpu Cooler : Corsair H100i
Case : Corsair 780T
Memory : G.Skills 32GB DDR4-3200mhz CAS 15-15-15-35-1T@1.370v
Motherboard : Asus Rampage V Extreme (BIOS 3504)
M2 : Samsung 950 Pro NVME 512gb (Gaming)
M2 : SSD1 : OCZ RD400A 128gb (windows)
SSD1 : Crucial MX100 512gb (data)
Gfx : EVGA Titan X w/ 980 Hybrid Cooling AiO Liquid Cooler
PSU : Antec HCP-1000W
Monitor : Asus RoG Swift

Thank you Avenger for your respond and here is mine as follows 🙂

1. I have 2 same kits 32gb dominator platinum 4x8gb which one is the correct what makes TOTAL of 64GB

2. Yes during post and Q Code is 79 - CSM initialization. This is my main problem always when BIOS get "stuck" CODE 79

3. When I click restart computer going to restart, then bios has to boot up but does not at all, BIOS try to boot up but get "stuck" with CODE 79 again ... When I shut down computer and turn on again everything working normal. Just bios doesn't want to restart computer. I cant imagine this is only me ?

4. When I say about network card yes I see in device info with yellow triangle. Then I press uninstall card and refresh screen and card get installed and everything works fine. But every time I turn on computer and going to windows first starts Wi-Fi network card doesn't work.

5. I did all this things and as you said so far I have same problems ...

Thank you

drdushan wrote:

1. I have 2 same kits 32gb dominator platinum 4x8gb which one is the correct what makes TOTAL of 64GB

Remove one of the kits and see if that solves your problem.

So you think that memory is main problem and because of that I have problem with CSM initialization Q CODE 79 ?
based on motherboard spec they support my memory ...

Also what Q CODE 79 really mean ?

One very important fact. When I just bought motherboard and I had BIOS 0603 everything was working just fine. I could restart computer and booting up was working fine. I had different problems but not those.
Then I update BIOS to 08XX and then I start to have problems ...

drdushan wrote:
So you think that memory is main problem and because of that I have problem with CSM initialization Q CODE 79 ?
based on motherboard spec they support my memory ...

Also what Q CODE 79 really mean ?

One very important fact. When I just bought motherboard and I had BIOS 0603 everything was working just fine. I could restart computer and booting up was working fine. I had different problems but not those.
Then I update BIOS to 08XX and then I start to have problems ...

Hey! Well if bios 603 was working properly for you what's holding you to use it ? Because between 603 and 901 only ram compatibility and a pci express bug has been fixes so you don't miss a thing. That could be a solution for you. And i'm wondering, do you have fast booting options enabled ? If not, this could help you get past post and if they're enabled, disable them (there are 3) and see what will happen 😉

Thanks

Max

drdushan wrote:
Thank you Avenger for your respond and here is mine as follows 🙂

2. Yes during post and Q Code is 79 - CSM initialization. This is my main problem always when BIOS get "stuck" CODE 79

3. When I click restart computer going to restart, then bios has to boot up but does not at all, BIOS try to boot up but get "stuck" with CODE 79 again ... When I shut down computer and turn on again everything working normal. Just bios doesn't want to restart computer. I cant imagine this is only me ?

4. When I say about network card yes I see in device info with yellow triangle. Then I press uninstall card and refresh screen and card get installed and everything works fine. But every time I turn on computer and going to windows first starts Wi-Fi network card doesn't work.

5. I did all this things and as you said so far I have same problems ...

Thank you

Hey!

1. - What chino said!
2. And 3. - are part of the same problem and i do not know what it is.
4. - Do what chino said once again
5. Even though it didn't fix your problems now you can check that off the list 😉

i'm pretty sure the top dog gurus like chino/praz/ will be able to help you out!

Hope it all works out!

Thanks

Max

Chino
Level 15
drdushan wrote:

Thanks in advance

1. Clear your CMOS.
2. Update to the latest BIOS using the EZ Flash Utility in the BIOS and an USB pendrive.
3. Once process is finished, shutdown your system.
4. Clear your CMOS again.
5. Go into the BIOS and load the optimized defaults using F5.
6. Save and restart your system.

Leave the XMP profile off for now. Test your system at stock defaults meanwhile. Regarding your Network driver, you said it stopped working after installing a Windows update. Find the last update and uninstall it. If in doubt, restore your system back to a prior state.

Chino
Level 15
Yes, that kit has been tested and is supported on the Rampage V Extreme. But you're using both of them in your system. Mixing memory kits, even if they are identical, is never a good idea.

Then how can I use 64GB of memory ?