cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

bad cpu or not ?

EaglePC
Level 10
hi all very fustrated here i have the asus rampage v 10 anniversary edition mb , i7-6850k and corsair donimator 32gb ram kit.
1.) i exchange the board 3 times 2.)i exchange the ram 3 times i get same results ram dimm slot b1 or b2 will not work all other dimm slots do is it likely my cpu does it have a memory controller on itslf i have diagnose the cpu many time with intels diagnosic tool and it passes funny cpu-z see all ram stick the bios will not
Asus Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7940X / Corsair H115i Pro / CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3000MHz / EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE GAMING BLACK Edition / 2x Samsung 970 Pro NMVe 1GB / 4x Samsung 850 PRO - 2TB / Asus ROG Swift PG348Q / Corsair AX 1500i / Thermaltake View 71 RGB PC Case /Win 10 PRO x64
26 REPLIES 26

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Uff that's a headache EaglePC

What I don't get is... that if the board was OK and the CPU bad why would they bother replacing board 3 times...how did you replace it...with a retailer who doesn't test the board or through RMA and presumable someone did test?

If it's possible the board was replaced no questions asked then yeah maybe CPU is bad. The diagnostic utility is not 100%...I had a 5930K die slowly back in the day...diagnostic tool rated it OK even though it would not run a card at x16...PCIe controller was dying and CPU too slowly requiring more voltage...Intel tested it and replaced it...

RAM? you been trying same type of kit over and over?

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
Uff that's a headache EaglePC

What I don't get is... that if the board was OK and the CPU bad why would they bother replacing board 3 times...how did you replace it...with a retailer who doesn't test the board or through RMA and presumable someone did test?

If it's possible the board was replaced no questions asked then yeah maybe CPU is bad. The diagnostic utility is not 100%...I had a 5930K die slowly back in the day...diagnostic tool rated it OK even though it would not run a card at x16...PCIe controller was dying and CPU too slowly requiring more voltage...Intel tested it and replaced it...

RAM? you been trying same type of kit over and over?

Thanks yes it was under 30 days so i return and exchange from amazon.
yes i made a boo boo which i doubt with the cpu arctic silver got all over the contacts under cpu but i caught it before placing it in socket and clean it with 70% alcohol very good and i see nothing scratch on contacts
Asus Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7940X / Corsair H115i Pro / CORSAIR Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB (4 x 8GB) 3000MHz / EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 ELITE GAMING BLACK Edition / 2x Samsung 970 Pro NMVe 1GB / 4x Samsung 850 PRO - 2TB / Asus ROG Swift PG348Q / Corsair AX 1500i / Thermaltake View 71 RGB PC Case /Win 10 PRO x64

EaglePC
Level 10
all the ram i tried was corsair CMD32GX4M4A2666C15
g-skill F4-3200C16Q-32GTZKW &
F4-3400C16Q-32GTZKW

any software to fully test the cpu ?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
OK, well, Amazon are great in that they exchange no questions asked...but not great in that they won't test anything and makes me think that yes, it's your CPU that is the problem...

I would RMA it to Intel...a pretty painless process

Hopper64
Level 15
What Q codes are you seeing?

Are you trying to run your memory at default speed of 2100 or the rated speeds of 2666, 3200, 3400?

Do you have another CPU that you can test with?*
MZ790AE, GSkill F5-8400J4052G24GX2-TZ5RK, 14900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ HK block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Crucial T705, Windows 11 Pro

EaglePC
Level 10
ok with all ram dimms i get error code b6 then stuck on cc using xmp won't boot at all - if i don't use xmp pc will boot without error codes only 24gig of 32 gig checking the led b1 dimm no led light ,yes called intel might just do a advance replacement , never really thought how they make hardware today by touching the cpu terminals and cleaning them with alcohol could of hurt it

EaglePC wrote:
ok with all ram dimms i get error code b6 then stuck on cc using xmp won't boot at all - if i don't use xmp pc will boot without error codes only 24gig of 32 gig checking the led b1 dimm no led light ,yes called intel might just do a advance replacement , never really thought how they make hardware today by touching the cpu terminals and cleaning them with alcohol could of hurt it

Are you weak your systemagentvoltage when you use xmp profile? Ram will not work overclocked standard settings and need lots of weaking.

EaglePC wrote:
never really thought how they make hardware today by touching the cpu terminals and cleaning them with alcohol could of hurt it

If you got a bit of thermal paste on the contacts and then gently cleaned off with alcohol...then no, I can't imagine any harm was done...as long as you didn't break any resistors on the bottom or something like that...I doubt this has anything to do with the trouble you are having...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
If you got a bit of thermal paste on the contacts and then gently cleaned off with alcohol...then no, I can't imagine any harm was done...as long as you didn't break any resistors on the bottom or something like that...I doubt this has anything to do with the trouble you are having...

thanks yes you correct even under a magnifier cpu it looks perfect also no bent pins of socket on mb ,well at least i will get my 4th board later today from amazon i just snap together and pray will keep you all up to date