cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME - Slow Boot Times (RAID 0)?

TheNaitsyrk
Level 7
Hiho,

I recently decided to create RAID 0 array (2x 120GB Kingston V300 Sata SSDs) on my PC for fast boot times etc.

The problem is that the PC was previously installed on Samsung EVO 850 500GB (Single SSD) and it was taking about 50-60 seconds to boot once the power button was pressed. Fast boot was disabled. XMP Memory was disabled. BIOS was basically at default settings.

Then I formatted the PC to create RAID 0 and I noticed absolutely no difference even though I enabled fast boot, enabled XMP, CPU is not overclocked, changed boot options so it goes past logo screen etc. It. Yet, it still takes 60+ seconds to boot.

I thought okay, I will reinstall back to my Samsung EVO 850 500GB to see if there's a difference if I enable fast boot etc. I noticed that 1st time I booted it took 31 seconds. Then after turning it off and on, it took 40 seconds. Every time after that it was again 50-60 seconds.

At this point I had enough, and I decided to reinstall back to my RAID 0. At this point I deleted and created RAID volumes 3 to 4 times already. I did it through BIOS and through Intel CTRL + I screen. Same slow results.

I contacted ASUS live chat and I've been told to do things I already done. The only thing that I didn't do is update the BIOS (I'm on 3301 and the new one is 3401 I believe). I don't think this will solve the problem.

I noticed that my RAID 0 array is pretty quick when it comes to (READ 950mb/s) (WRITE 250mb/s). Samsung EVO 850 (READ 520mb/s) (WRITE 500mb/s)

I have a crappy ASUS Geforce 210 in my PC at the moment (Waiting for 1080TI), 6800K not overclocked, ASUS RAMPAGE V EXTREME, NZXT Internal USB HUB thing, 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3200Mhz RAM RED LED (XMP enabled), 2x 120GB Kingston SSD RAID 0, Samsung EVO 850 500GB SSD. Both are SATA SSDs, and I also have Seagate 2TB Hard Drive.

I tried testing the boot speeds with nothing installed on the system, and with every USB unplugged with the exception of internal NZXT USB hub.

Any idea what the problem could be? It's pretty annoying. The only reason why I bought 2nd SSD is to RAID 0 it to boot ultra quickly and load all programs quickly.

My laptop MSI Ghost Pro with 2x SSDs boots in 5 to 6 seconds from cold, I wanted to replicate it on my desktop.

When I enter Rapid Storage Technology menu in Windows it says under the RAID 0 array:
Manage Volume
Name: Kingston RAID 0
Type: RAID 0
Data stripe size: 128 KB
Size: 228,942 MB
Add disk

Advanced
Write-cache buffer flushing: Disabled
Cache mode: Off
System volume: Yes
Verification details Verify
Blocks with media errors: 0
Physical sector size: 512 Bytes
Logical sector size: 512 Bytes

On the right side it shows:
Storage System View
SATA_Array_0000
112GB
112GB

Kingston RAID 0
Type: RAID 0
224GB

I'm hopeless at this point, I hope someone knows what's up.
14 REPLIES 14

Chino
Level 15
DDR4 training takes longer so boot times is slightly longer on the X99 platform compared to older platforms. Running a RAID array also increases the boot time a little since it needs to load the RAID controller during boot.

If you're looking to get the lowest boot time possible, use a single drive. If you're using Windows 10, make sure you do an UEFI install. Disabling CSM also helps decrease boot time. If you don't use any of the onboard stuff like Wi-Fi, Asmedia SATA ports, etc., you can disable them as well. Some users disable memory training while helps significantly but personally I don't recommend that path.

Chino wrote:
DDR4 training takes longer so boot times is slightly longer on the X99 platform compared to older platforms. Running a RAID array also increases the boot time a little since it needs to load the RAID controller during boot.

If you're looking to get the lowest boot time possible, use a single drive. If you're using Windows 10, make sure you do an UEFI install. Disabling CSM also helps decrease boot time. If you don't use any of the onboard stuff like Wi-Fi, Asmedia SATA ports, etc., you can disable them as well. Some users disable memory training while helps significantly but personally I don't recommend that path.

Thank you! I knew it's longer, but I didn't know it's that long. At least I know I didn't cause it. I'll try to disable a thing or two (the ones you mentioned) to decrease boot time.

Although, I still think 60 seconds is a bit long even for X99 platform.

Thanks again.

Without RAID, it's also long

R5E, bios 2xxx => 9.8sec
R5E, bios 3xxx => 14.9sec
R5E10 => 20.3 sec

It's getting worse and worse :mad:
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

tistou77 wrote:
Without RAID, it's also long

R5E, bios 2xxx => 9.8sec
R5E, bios 3xxx => 14.9sec
R5E10 => 20.3 sec

It's getting worse and worse :mad:

How did you manage to boot in 20 seconds? I wish I could do it. Mine boots in 50-60 seconds NOT MATTER what I do.

tistou77
Level 13
In the bios options, you must disable Memtest, enable boot attempt, etc ...
It normally helps
Sorry for my english 😄

tistou77 wrote:
In the bios options, you must disable Memtest, enable boot attempt, etc ...
It normally helps

Could you please list all the things I need to change?

I'd really REALLY appreciate it. And if you could provide screenshots, I'd die of happiness.

Cheers!

tistou77
Level 13
Sorry for my english 😄

tistou77 wrote:

Is there anything else I should disable?