cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

anyone getting the phantom power up since bios 1502?

GoNz0-
Level 10
Well after nearly bricking my board and recovering I left it on 1502 as I am scared of bricking it going back after last time, Now I have noticed the PC got stuck in a boot loop until i realised it had decided to ignore the OS as being a secure boot environment, after showing it the error of its ways using F8 and selecting the OS it seemed to sort itself out, Now I don't for a minute expect asus to do anything about it as they are next to useless in the UK and you cannot get support anywhere else.
Besides that it is now powering itself back up from sleep or hibernation without me asking it to. It can be one of 2 things, Asus unfixed something (they have a high percentage of so it is at the top of my list) or the only other thing I have done is upgrade my asus router firmware with merlin's new build (why merlin you ask? well funnily enough he has a habit of taking the Asus builds, fixing them and then asus use his fixes).

So I thought I would ask if anyone else has had this crop up on this 1502 BIOS before troubling someone who will look into fixing it unlike ASUS?

(I may come across as bitter but asus Uk have pissed me off as they are beyond inept and it isn't like you can get support anywhere else)
12 REPLIES 12

_TRG__Kicker
Level 7
i would check your network card settings for a wake settings. I was getting random power ups from being shutdown not sleep.

GoNz0-
Level 10
windows 8 doesn't support WOL from a shut down state, only hibernate or sleep mode, I had put it down to this but I had shut down earlier so it shouldn't have been listening for a packet from a dodgy merlin router beta...

It is set to WOL and had behaved fine until a few days ago, it only woke up when told. and never from a system shutdown.

GoNz0- wrote:
windows 8 doesn't support WOL from a shut down state, only hibernate or sleep mode, I had put it down to this but I had shut down earlier so it shouldn't have been listening for a packet from a dodgy merlin router beta...

Hello

This is so only if the components and associated drivers fully follow Microsoft's specs. This is not always the case. You can also try disabling Bluetooth and WiFi in the UEFI to narrow things down.

Chino
Level 15

koroziv
Level 9
Hi
I just started playing with wol, not familiar with bios settings for it so I enabled a bunch of stuff. I'm using windows 10; It does not wake up from "shutdown state", only from sleep; fast boot and hybrid sleep enabled in windows; if I put it to sleep wol works but it will wake up 1-2 minutes after entering sleep state without any action from me. Why and how can I prevent that ?
Also, if someone knows the exact settings to be changed in bios (latest for hero VII) for wol please post them.

koroziv wrote:
Hi
I just started playing with wol, not familiar with bios settings for it so I enabled a bunch of stuff. I'm using windows 10; It does not wake up from "shutdown state", only from sleep; fast boot and hybrid sleep enabled in windows; if I put it to sleep wol works but it will wake up 1-2 minutes after entering sleep state without any action from me. Why and how can I prevent that ?
Also, if someone knows the exact settings to be changed in bios (latest for hero VII) for wol please post them.

I had hoped windows had patched this back in but since windows 8 WOL only works from sleep or hibernate not power off state.

If it wakes up check that you only have wake from magic packet selected in the adapter properties as that seems to be working for me so far.

GoNz0- wrote:
I had hoped windows had patched this back in but since windows 8 WOL only works from sleep or hibernate not power off state.

Hello

Microsoft will not be patching this. They have concluded, and rightfully so, that with the worldwide energy saving initiatives and requirements that any reasonable person would expect the system to remain in the S5 state unless manually powered back on.

Axle_Grease
Level 7
Yesterday I discovered my new PC was waking up after having been shut down whenever I restarted the old PC. I disabled "Wake on Magic Packet from a power off state" under Power Management for the Intel Ethernet Connection I218-V adapter. Since I only use the old PC during the weekends I'm not sure this issue began with BIOS 1502 or an MS update. In any case, disabling that option resolved it.
"Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes." -- Unknown

GoNz0-
Level 10
I am not a reasonable person, I expect to be given a choice with overpriced products 🙂