cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Annoying problems with the Rampage V Extreme

Sylver123
Level 9
Hello guys,

I have just not so long ago built my new computer system with a Intel i7 5960X and Rampage V Extreme board
and one very annoying thing I have noticed the board dose is when the board crashes or stalls due to
overclocking instability or failure in which have to manually turn the power off and back on again or if
the board automatically shuts off by itself due to these reasons or any reason, I have noticed the board
will refuse to power up again unless you leave it for a few minutes.

I have noticed it does the exact same thing if the system has been powered up for quite a while and you
shut the system down ether by the normal windows shut down way or by the system power switch.
If you try to turn the system back on again or within a short time of it just been powered off, it will also
refuse to turn on unless you leave it for a few minutes. This is very annoying and frustrating having to
wait patiently for the system to let you to power it back up again.

I was wondering if this is a normal thing on this board, a protection feature perhaps built in or is it not
supposed to do that and it means there could be something wrong with the board.

Does anybody know if it is a normal thing or an issue with the board and if it is normal, is there any way
to get the board to power up a lot quicker when it does this?

If it is normal and it is a protection feature, then it would be great if you could somehow turn it off.

By the way, I am using the latest 0901 system BIOS on the board.

Thank you in advance for your help and feedback on my inquiry.
Intel i7 5960X @ OC 4.5GHz, Asus R5E, XSPC AX360, G.Skill Ripjaws 4 16GB DDR4-3000MHz, BeQuiet 1200W PSU, Cooler Master Cosmos 2, Zotac GeForce GTX 980 AMP, Creative X-Fi Titanium, 2 X Samsung 840 EVO 250GB RAID 0, 2 X Crucial RealSSD C300 256GB RAID 0, LG BH10LS30
24 REPLIES 24

My MSI GTX980 has no backplate so I could just put a duct tape in between on the side of the DH15. It is a air tight fit but at least it fits somehow.

funky29cro wrote:
How did u fit noctua dh15 ,i was going to buy it for this rig but first pcie 16 slot is blocked ,at least it was blocked with nh u14s ,here on forum someone posted a pic with nhu 14s and he could not fit grafic card heatsink was to wide ,can u post a picture of your mobo fitted with dh15 and grafic card in first slot ,my grafic card has backplate so for nhu14s there is no room .

AdamC wrote:

My MSI GTX980 has no backplate so I could just put a duct tape in between on the side of the DH15. It is a air tight fit but at least it fits somehow.

That is god damn tight man.

On a side note, I find that by design the 1st slot is too damn close to the CPU/RAM area, quite a chore to release the top GPU - quite difficult to reach the Q slot lock thing to release the lock.

funky29cro
Level 7
Thx for picture ,damn thats tight fit 🙂 good thing u managet to fit it ,my plan was to go with dh15 ,then saw on net its to wide for this mobo and had to go aio for now ,i am planing to watercool whole board and cpu with EK blocks ,they look amazing but thats expensive so aio will do for now .

heichalot
Level 7
Sylver123 wrote:

I have noticed it does the exact same thing if the system has been powered up for quite a while and you
shut the system down ether by the normal windows shut down way or by the system power switch.
If you try to turn the system back on again or within a short time of it just been powered off, it will also
refuse to turn on unless you leave it for a few minutes. This is very annoying and frustrating having to
wait patiently for the system to let you to power it back up again.

when your system failed to boot,
you can see on your motherboard below the right USB socket. (not the digital LED), but the 4 lights LED,
it will show where the failing process at, on cpu, dram, or vga.
you can start tinkering after you know which part causes it.

also, on 0901 BIOS, my OC panel is screwing up, so I had to take it off
Aristo, an Enthusiast Gamer
Play on Steam? Add me http://steamcommunity.com/id/heichalot/

"Everytime my setting passes HyperPi or Prime95, I get a boner"
-me

LG 60UN5400 Asus Rampage V Extreme Intel i7-5930k Haswell-E Kingston HyperX DDR4 2800 16Gb (4x4)
Asus RoG Ares II no. 789 & 179 Corsair AX1200 NZXT Kraken x60 Bose Companion 5 Sennheiser HD600 Logitech G13 Corsair K95 Logitech G500 Logitech HD Pro C920 Coolermaster Haf X

I gave 500 euros for Rampage V Extreme in order to pray to God every morning that would boot system without manual restarts.
As you can use fast RAM that you purchased at 3000MHz, or take recommendations from forums better stay on the speed of 2133MHz it is certified, certainly you will still have problems with starting the computer every few days. Option Fast Boot with 3 or more automatic restarting without booting, so called "training", that is very funny fast booting.
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.5GHz / Cooler Master Nepton 280L / Noctua NF-A14
Asus RAMPAGE V Extreme / Kingston HyperX 32GB DDR4 3000MHz
Asus Strix GeForce GTX 980 / Asus VX279Q
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 512GB / Samsung 850 Pro RAID 0 512GB
Cooler Master V1200 Platinum / CM Storm Trooper