cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I doing everything correctly??

Goucho
Level 8
Ok i am adding new parts to my present system.

At present my boot drive is on windows 8.1 and consists of 2x 120gb ssds in RAID0.
I am adding an internal 2TB HDD.
I am also adding 2x250GB Samsung 850 evos in RAID0 and using that for windows 10. I want to dual boot until i am happy with windows 10 then will use small raid for something else.

1. I have 1502 bios, do i need to upgrade?
2. Do i just add the new ssds and then set them up as a bootable drive in bios?
3. Can i then just set whatever drive i want as first in boot order?
4. I want to later use two 1TB HDDs in RAID0 so that will mean 3 RAID0 setups. Which sata connectors on the motherboard should i use? Like should i use number 1-6 ??
5. I bought my system already pre assembled and my fans are noisy. They are attached to the case controllers. Do i swap them to the motherboard connections so i can use AISuite to sort them on quiet running until needed?
6. What is the best way to install windows. Do i just copy my iso onto a usb or do i need to set the usb up with software?

Could you answer each question in order so i don't get confused as im a bit of a noob lol.

My intended setup <---- is this possible or ok to do?

Windows 10 Drive = 2xssds in RAID0
Windows 8.1 Drive = 2xssds in RAID0
Video encoding Drive = 2xhdds in RAID0
Main backup Drive = 1x 2TB hdd

Thank you all so very much for your help past,present and deffo future lol 😉
All replies to my posts are really appreciated, thank you 🙂

Overclock results:-

GTX980 @ 1527.5MHz Core/7603MHz Memory
6 REPLIES 6

Onimax
Level 8
To quickly answer your questions:

1. No
2. Yes (after you spawned a new raid volume on those drives of course)
3. Yes
4. This will work using the X99 SATA ports.
5. Why not, just keep in mind not to exceed the 1A limit per fan header (you will usually find the power draw of the fans in some datasheet online if you do not own the packaging)
6. Normally just copying the iso contents onto a usb stick works fine for UEFI installs.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Onimax wrote:
To quickly answer your questions:

5. Why not, just keep in mind not to exceed the 1A limit per fan header (you will usually find the power draw of the fans in some datasheet online if you do not own the packaging)
6. Normally just copying the iso contents onto a usb stick works fine for UEFI installs.

Hope this helps. 🙂

Thanx very much m8y.

I have two fans on my cooler radiator (H100i) would they be attached to the cpu fan thingy??

I have checked and my extra fans are Corsair AF120 @.4 Amp each. I have 4 of these, are there enough fan things on the mobo?
Also i have a 200mm front case fan, can i put that on the mobo or keep it on the case controller? I don't know what power that has?? (Phanteks Enthoo Luxe case)

Onimax
Level 8
You can attach them to the CPU fan header - absolutely.

.4A is safe - in theory you could also hook up two fans per header (which gives .8A then) via a Y-splitter.
In total you have two CPU fan headers and 6 chassis fan headers (whereas you can use splitters to even attach more fans than you have headers like I said ;)).
Also for watercooling it doesn't really matter where you plug in your fans.

If the front case fan has a 3 or 4 pin fan header than it shouldn't be a problem connecting it to a mainboard fan header.
Unfortunately I do not know about your case's fans so you'll have to look it up on your own.
However common connectors for such relatively large case fans are often 4 pin molex connectors which won't allow you to regulate the fan - at least not via the motherboard's fan headers obviously, but there are adapters for this as well. 🙂

Goucho
Level 8
Thanx very much.

Last question 😉

What is the best way to set up the fans once they are attached to the mobo? In bios or using AIsuite? I want them quiet until temp goes up and they are needed. What temp should i tell them to start at etc etc and how do i do it lol.

Toldya i was a noob 😉

Onimax
Level 8
Personally both, but it doesn't really matter.
I just found that the Q-fan tuning via UEFI gives different results than the one using AISuite, so just do both and go with the ones that fit your taste better - but that's just for training.

Setting up the fan curves via AISuite is way more comfortable in my opinion.

The settings really depend on your personal preferences, how loud you want it to be vs. how hot the components should get, where you live (weather conditions/ambient), what your fans are capable of, etc.

You probably will have to fiddle around a lot with fan curves until you get - for you - the best results.
It's a very subjective matter really so there is no right or wrong (you can't even fubar - I believe there is a protection at 70 or 75°C where fans automatically go 100%).

Goucho
Level 8
Nice one thanx, will go with the suite i think. Good to know they kick in when they have to also. I am in the UK so ambient room temps are not a problem sadly lmao. I make youtube content and even with the pc UNDER my desk i have to use software to take it out of my audio lol.

Thanx so much for the help. Me goodies come tomorrow and i think i am ready to rumble now .... watch this space tomorrow just in case lmao 😉