cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After updating my BIOS to 2001 it reads bf

Dkp1988
Level 7
After updating my BIOS to version 2001 my rampage board now reads bf what do I do?
8 REPLIES 8

Minsekt
Level 7
bf means theres an error while memory training, did you clear cmos once after updating?
did you tried to boot with the memory-ok-button yet?
retry button can help there too.

my last memory kit was a 2666mhz kit too and ive had so much problems with it, ive just bought a 2400mhz kit and all the problems where gone, ironically this 2400mhz kit runs totally fine at 3000mhz :rolleyes:

also please fill in your profile, this way everyone can see what your specs are. since youve made now 4-5 threads for this problem not everyone did read it and knows your specs.

Where do I do that at and one tried the mem OK, you do the mem OK while the PC is on or off? And the only thing that gets my PC back to Windows us clearing the CMOS but then when I go in to the BIOS it doesn't show anything on dimm slot b1 but when I go into Windows is and load CPU z or shows quad channel on the memory tab.

For anything I missed I edited my profile.

Rampage v Extreme
Intel i7 5820k (Stock)
Noctua NH-D14
Icy Diamond Compound
Nvidia GTX 660
Corsair LPX Vengence 2666 mHz Quad Channel Ram
g500s Logitech gaming mouse
Corsair mx silent keyboard
2 asus monitors running @ 74 hz

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Sorry Dpk1988 but there are now four threads on here all for the same problem and none of them have good info that will help us help you.

Please post the exact part number of your RAM...is it one single quad channel kit? i.e. serial numbers consecutive on sticks?

How are you running the RAM? Are you setting XMP in BIOS? have you tried F5 defaults.

Please tell us what you have tried and what you have not for following:

Remove cooler...check CPU socket for bent pins...replace cooler tightening evenly

increase Vdimm try 1.35 if kit rated 1.2...try 1.37 if rated 1.35

What value is SA volts (vccsa) being set at?

Have you tested single sticks on recommended slot to rule out a bad stick....tested good stick on each slot to rule out bad slot?

bf is unstable memory

rhadamanthus79
Level 7
I was getting the same issue after updating. I'm not sure why but under the boot section in your uefi changing the usb support setting from partial initialization to full initialization fixed the issue for me. Hope this helps.

This might just be a coincidence but after updating to the modded 2001 I was greeted by long boot times and a frequent bf error on my board as well. Turns out one of my memory sticks died.

I did a search for the bF error code and found a helpful tip to check the DRAM timing controls, anyone listed as 0 in the first set of timings told me to reseast that stick of ram. Tried the stick just by itself and the system would not post at all. Had a 16GB DDR4 kicking around so I tried those 4 sticks instead and the system posted just fine.

Check to see if the correct ammount of memory is shown in your bios and that all sticks show the correct timings under DRAM Control.

I doubt that the bios killed the memory but I've reverted back to the latest official bios release for the RVE3.1.
Intel Core i7 5930K @ 4.8GHz, Asus Rampave V Extreme U3.1, Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz 32GB DDR4 ( 4x8GB ), Nvidia GeForce Titan-X SLI, Creative Labs E3 USB Soundcard, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVME, Corsair AXi 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard, Logitech Proteus Core Mouse, Acer Predator X34 @ 100Hz, Sennheiser Gamer Zero, Windows 10 Professional

vacaloca
Level 9
This might be an isolated incident, but here's what happened to me. I had purchased an open box R5E from microcenter that was slightly warped, but didn't think much of it as it was working fine. A few days later I started to get a BF error as well as I was experimenting with the new 2001 BIOS. When I re-seated the RAM modules I realized something pretty bad, the last DIMM slot's plastic holder slightly cracked, presumably because of the earlier warping, and after that I wasn't able to get any stick of my GSKILL F4-2400C14Q2-128GRK kit to boot in that slot. Needless to say I exchanged it for another open box one (pushing my luck, ha) and no warping or any other issues on this that I've seen so far* on this one, so hoping for the best. 😃

* the motherboard was returned and sold with a stuck screw/standoff. Ironically I was focused on checking pins and memory slot plastic guides that I didn't notice that until I was home. It was an easy fix with some pliers and a screwdriver to remove it, but man, talk about using the wrong screw in the wrong place... and yeah, if getting mobo's from microcenter, it's not a bad idea to give it a careful look over to make sure it's in good shape!