cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After hardware changes system needs higher Voltage to be stable

Kotronas
Level 9
Hi

2 weeks ago I got a r5e and a 5930k with 16gb ddr4 3000. I had it at 4.5 with 1.3 and cache at 4.1,stable with XMP and 125, I had only the vcore at 1.3 and dram voltage at 1.35 rest was on auto. Realbench was with stress test stable for 1h. I had to rma psu and the motherboard. So after putting it together on his new case with a second 980ti that was not on the first system.

I can't get it with the same voltage stable, when I run realbench the pc freezes on random times but not more the 8 minutes. I had blues screens (whea_uncorrectable_error) only at start when I had cache at 4.4 4.3 4.2, was thinking that the system it is stable as it was with the "old" parts so I was trying to get the cache higher, after that I returned to 4.1,what was stable before, but the pc hanged and I have to hard reset it.

Differences
Old bios 1502 new 1701
Old 1x gpu new 2 gpu
Old r5e new r5e amazon 14 days replacement
Old ax1200i new rmaed ax1200i
Old corsair mini for fan control new all fans on r5e
Old case 550d new 750d

I used a 1.325 voltage and the pc passed a 1 hour realbench. Have to tweak the voltage it was a voltage I thought to try and check, if that was the cause of the freezes.

Is it normal? Is the voltage the issue or a hardware from psu or r5e or second gpu?

P.S. now that I am thinking back after flashing 1701 I didn't clear cmos. Just used lots of times "load default".

Thanks

P.s. when rebooting from windows is it normal that the pc first shutdown and then boots up again? It doesn't do it all the time.
7 REPLIES 7

Chino
Level 15
Yes, it's normal.

There are many changes from one BIOS to another. Your settings from the previous revision is not guaranteed to work on the newer one.

Kotronas
Level 9
Thanks Chino.
How about that the pc first shutdown and then boots up when a restart is triggered. All the time when the restart is triggered from the case button and not always if the restart is triggered from windows. I can hear that the psu did complete loose power then it powers up a second later.

Kotronas wrote:
Thanks Chino.
How about that the pc first shutdown and then boots up when a restart is triggered. All the time when the restart is triggered from the case button and not always if the restart is triggered from windows. I can hear that the psu did complete loose power then it powers up a second later.

I never really payed much attention to it. I'll do some tests for you when I get home.

Kotronas
Level 9
No one for the restart issue?
If you restart from windows pc behaves as it goes to shutdown, as it does but after it is shut off it boots up again. Not a continuous restart procedure as I at least knew till now, it is the same as you change something on the bios and press save and reset, where the pc first shuts off and then boots up.

Thanks and sorry for the spam, but I am close to a breakdown. Started 8 weeks ago had 3 returns of 980 ti strix from 5 bought do to issues, in the mean time my h100i started to have a rattling pump noise rmaed, after that I made a upgrade from a 2600k to 5930k where the r5e had a bad usb 2 port, where I noticed that black screens on boots up had to rma the ax1200i, the h100i gtx that came for the h100i had pump grind too so rmaed that too, now the ax1200i replacement has a fan control issue and the fan is clicking every 17 seconds rma. And I don't want to start with the car I bought last Xmas.
That's why sorry again if am looking as a paranoid one.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Ufff...sounds like you are due some good luck for a change! :eek:

That does not sound normal. Restart does not normally cycle the PSU. I don't know what windows or fastboot or what settings can do that:confused:

If you restart at F5 defaults in BIOS...does this happen?

Kotronas
Level 9
I will try that when I get home, always it was with some kind of OC. On hard resets you can say it was the bios reapplying/resseting OC settings, but on windows restart? That is what it makes me feel a bit unsure.

Ram speed 3000 is OC, even the memory is as 3000 labeled from manufacturer. Or am I wrong on that?

With the luck yeah, and I am thinking of buying the new pg279q. But the rma issues that I read and experienced , I hesitate.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yes, I was wondering if OC was doing this. Maybe something failing fastboot so has to reset on restart?

And yes, technically XMP 3000 is OCing...

Good monitor...have heard lots of good stories myself....though there are always lemons out there....with the bad luck you have had you can't possibly have a bad experience....law of averages;)