cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5960x 4.5 GHz over heating

KOGE19
Level 8
Hello All,

I am new to this forum. I am having some issues with high idle and load temps on a 5960x

My rig specs are:
CPU : 5960x - 4.5 GHz
VCore : 1.90v
VIN : 1.850v
RAM: 64G(4x16) CORSAIR 3200 MHz(running stable at 3000 MHz)
DRAM Voltage (CHAB, CHCD) : 1.350
CPU Sys Agent: 1.010v
CPU CACHE: 1.250V
LLC : Step 8
Cooling : Corsair H100 (3 years old)

The CPU is new, the M/B is second hand , the RAM is new. The H100 was on my RIVE cooling a 3930k and 4960x. I did remove
the fans and clean the radiator under water and refit the fans. The CPU does pass the IBT 'very high' setting , however temps do reach
87 degrees celsius .Idle temps are in the mid 40s.

The heat is a killer and I am not sure if my H100 is actually the culprit. My 3930k did keep temps on mid 30s with the H100(after cleaning the radiator).
My case is a HAF-X. Any ideas how I could fix my high temps?

Thanks,
George.
23 REPLIES 23

Nate152
Hi KOGE19

Welcome to the ROG forum.

Did you reapply thermal compound after cleaning the corsair H100?

Qwinn
Level 11
VCore 1.90v? I suspect that's an error 🙂 If not, your temps are *fantastic*!

Depending on what your vcore actually is, assuming 1.3v or so, and with 1.25v to the cache, those temps actually seem reasonably normal. I never use IBT though.

Hi,

I did reapply the thermal compound , I spread it on the lid with a small plastic flat spoon. I agree the voltages look too low, HWINFO and CPUZ
though report the same values Vcore at 1.20 and LLC /Ring at 1.280. Fact is I don't get a BSOD or anything, IBT will pass - at 85+ degrees celsius,
I am not happy. I tried 4.4 GHz at 1.160 and it again goes into lower 80s on IBT.

KOGE19 wrote:
Hi,

I did reapply the thermal compound , I spread it on the lid with a small plastic flat spoon. I agree the voltages look too low, HWINFO and CPUZ
though report the same values Vcore at 1.20 and LLC /Ring at 1.280. Fact is I don't get a BSOD or anything, IBT will pass - at 85+ degrees celsius,
I am not happy. I tried 4.4 GHz at 1.160 and it again goes into lower 80s on IBT.

Oh, vcore 1.20v? At 4.5Ghz? First, let me congratulate you, you are one serious silicon lottery winner. I need 1.296v for 4.4 core 4.2 cache. That's on a 5930k, but still.

And, if only at 1.2v, I agree your idle temp seems a bit high, though I'm betting that's mostly due to the cache. Are you using adaptive or offset voltage at all? Or is this all manual?

IMHO IBT burns too hot compared to even heavy gaming usage to be useful as a stress test. I recommend OCCT, it's *really* good at finding instability and while it's hotter than Aida or Realbench, it's not by a ridiculous amount like IBT/Lynx.

I'm very familiar with OCCT temps, run it for at least half an hour and let us know what your top CPU temp and top core temps are.

BTW, these temps you're reporting to us, is that CPU package temp or hottest CPU core temp? If package, that's a bit high but probably not too dangerous. If your hottest core is hitting the high 80's, stop that, stop that right now.

BTW, you didn't say what your cache is running at. If you're also running it at 4.5, I would tune it down. The minimal increased performance from, say, 4.3 to 4.5 isn't worth the extra temps and voltage. I manage to run 4.2 cache at 0.27v offset which maxes around 1.212v under load, with your sweet chip you can probably do the same or lower, and these chips don't tolerate high 24/7 cache voltages all that well. I'd say *max* safe 24/7 cache is 1.25v, and I'd stick closer to 1.2v if I had a silicon lottery winner.

BTW, I wasn't saying that your voltages were too low. You originally said vcore was 1.9v. You either really meant vinput, it was a typo, or your machine should've exploded by now. As an interesting coincidence, though, the OCCT that I'm suggesting labels vinput as vcore and labels vcore as VIN4. Took me a while to figure that out.

Chino
Level 15
It's obvious that your liquid cooler isn't capable of keeping your CPU cool at that frequency. Consider running a lower overclock or change your cooling. 🙂

Hello Qwinn and Chino,

Thanks for the replies. My cache voltage is manual and set to 1.250 V. Really no offset voltages used at all. The min & max cache ratio is 41.
My RAM channels are set to 1.350 V for 3000 MHz. If I bump it up to 3200 MHz(the rated setting), the RAM count decreases. I can try to reduce the cache voltage,
but IBT starts hanging up then. Is 1.250V for cache voltage too high?

By CPU temperature I was referring to Package temperature.. Is it possible the H100 is probably not working as efficiently? Does anyone use the H100 on the
5960x+RVE combination?

Regarding the sweet chip, I *think* its most probable that the motherboard being used has some tracks/components worn out which leads to lesser resistance and
hence lesser volts to maintain potential to the CPU . I agree there can be deviations, but not as much as can be seen here. My RIVE was a pre built overclocked
bundle built by scan.co.uk . They set the 3930K to VCore 1.45volts and burn tested it for 48 hours(I am sure they didnt find the sweet spot since it is time consuming) .
The net effect is that the 3930K would only run 4.5 GHz at 1.45 V . I rejected the CPU and told them it was too much of voltage.
The brand new CPU they gave me would do 4.5 GHz at 1.35 v

Qwinn
Level 11
"The brand new CPU they gave me would do 4.5 GHz at 1.35 v"

Wait, what?

I'm sorry, this is very confusing. You have so far listed your vcore as 1.90v, 1.2v, and 1.35v. Can you please lay out what exactly your voltages are, and might as well correct your first post while you're at it? And have you tried to see what your temps under OCCT are? If you're actually running 1.35v to get that 4.5, that might be too hot as well. Just don't let your cores go over 80c sustained.

Qwinn wrote:
"The brand new CPU they gave me would do 4.5 GHz at 1.35 v"

Wait, what?

I'm sorry, this is very confusing. You have so far listed your vcore as 1.90v, 1.2v, and 1.35v. Can you please lay out what exactly your voltages are, and might as well correct your first post while you're at it? And have you tried to see what your temps under OCCT are? If you're actually running 1.35v to get that 4.5, that might be too hot as well. Just don't let your cores go over 80c sustained.

The 1.35 V was on a 3930K on an RIVE I got as part of an overclocked Bundle - I was trying to explain that while sweet CPUs may exist, CPUs also tend
to get comfortable at higher voltages. I said it simply, nothing to add to the specific conversation we were having. Sorry.

To confirm. My current 5960x runs on 1.20 V,LLC8, VCCIN at 1.85 V , Cache at 1.250V (ratio 41) . Is the 1.250V cache voltage too high?

Also, any specific closed loop system which could perform better than the H100 I have?

Thanks,
George.

Qwinn
Level 11
It seems odd that it *needs* that high voltage for a CPU that can do 4.5 with 1.2v. As I said, I can run 4.2 cache on 1.2v manual. I.25v is *probably* safe, but kinda riding the edge if you ask me. Especially since you're saying CPU-Z is reporting you're actually at 1.28v.

Actually, what BIOS are you using? I can't get over 3.8Ghz cache with the official BIOS's. If you're willing to try out a modded BIOS (there's nothing "home cooked" about it, all it does is update several modules to Intel's latest, such as the microcode from version 2d to 37, which ASUS didn't do in their official BIOS's), give this a try:

http://www.win-raid.com/t1893f44-OFFER-ASUS-Rampage-V-Extreme-modded-BIOSes.html#msg27089

I had great results. Passed 17 hours OCCT stable. Both 1902 modded (which has microcode 36) and 2101 modded (microcode 37) made my cache *way* more stable, it may allow you to drop the cache voltage down significantly. Note that if you try it, you will need to update the BIOS via the USB Flashback method, the one with the computer's power turned off and a USB stick with the BIOS named "R5E.CAP" on it in the proper USB port and pressing the ROG Connect button to start it off.

As for liquid cooling, I use the only AIO with a 360" radiator that I know of, the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate. Does a decent job, in OCCT my package temp max spikes at around 79-80c, running 1.296v core and 1.212v cache. A bit expensive for an AIO, but nowhere near what a custom loop will cost. If you decide to go for it, make sure it'll fit in your case.