All modules updated.

Thanks to Unborn.
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED
19 REPLIES 19

Hapatingjaky wrote:
Hey all,

So I downloaded this modded bios last night, copied it to an old 256MB USB key from dell I had lieing around. I renamed it to R5E, reset my bios defaults, shut the system down, put the key into the correct slot and hit the button. Let it do its thing, I actually waited about an hour before turning it back on as I was in the middle of doing other ****.

Turned the PC on and no post, can't remember what code it had stopped on so I powered down the system, hit the CMOS reset on the back and turned it on. I would cycle through all the codes about 4 times each, took very long and it did post, so I entered the bios set bios defaults screen went black, the system shut off and then turned back on, it booted in to windows, ran Prime95 for a liltte bit( system was not OC'd as bios defaults were set ) no crashes or errors. So I did a restart, system wouldn't post again. Shut it down, turned it on and entered the bios, set XMP for the Kingston HyperX was surprised it didn't set a 125MHz strap but stayed at 100. Save and exit, entered Windows, again some Prim95, WoW and some Division. Went to do my OC so I restarted entered bios, set my 4.8GHz using the 1.35v I normally use and no post, I can no longer OC the CPU at all, even 100MHz.

Prior to flashing the modded bios I used the latest release for the RVEU3.1 which is 1802, I've had no problems at all with that bios.

Still getting the 50/50 chance of booting but no crashes once it enters Windows. On the 1802 bios I had issue entering safemode with my 950 pro. It would hang for about 3 minutes after the Asus rog screen and then give me the options for Safemode etc, it would then constantly boot to that screen ever consecutive boot again waiting 3 minutes. This hasn't happened at all with the 2001 modded. Its the only improvement.

Try the stock 2001 and report back

GoNz0- wrote:
Try the stock 2001 and report back

Will do. It was going to be my next step,
Intel Core i7 5930K @ 4.8GHz, Asus Rampave V Extreme U3.1, Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz 32GB DDR4 ( 4x8GB ), Nvidia GeForce Titan-X SLI, Creative Labs E3 USB Soundcard, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVME, Corsair AXi 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard, Logitech Proteus Core Mouse, Acer Predator X34 @ 100Hz, Sennheiser Gamer Zero, Windows 10 Professional

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Or, if for some reason you need a modded BIOS...just download a fresh file and BIOS flashback it again...but this time hang around to the end of the flash and restart...

Electrons have lives too...they have places to go photons to see...some of them might not hang around where they're supposed to and an hour later you are restarting a parallel universe....

😉

Well turns out my memory kit went tits up. Well atleast one of the sticks. Searched for error code BF which is what I seem to be getting. So nothing on the Asus site except for FUTURE Q-CODE. More searching netted me a nice response that said if you get this error one or more memory modules might need to be re-seated. I checked in the bios and sure enough it only listed 24GB instead of 32GB. So I pulled the memory out and re-seated, still same issue. So I grabbed my old 16GB kit that I still have sitting around 4x4GB 2666MHz CAS 13 Kingston as well, tossed it in and booted up, no more error code, no more long boot.

I did however at first flash the latest release BIOS of 2001 before I tried all of this, it made no difference, tried 1902 and it too made no difference, went back to 1801 which I had been using which is the latest release for the RVE3.1 and it too showed the same issue. But now that I've figured it out I am back to my 16GB kit while I get my 32GB replaced. Might just cave and by a Corsair Dominator kit instead.

I am not going to flash to the 1901 or 2001 or 2001 ( modded ) as I fear it may have killed my kit.
Intel Core i7 5930K @ 4.8GHz, Asus Rampave V Extreme U3.1, Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz 32GB DDR4 ( 4x8GB ), Nvidia GeForce Titan-X SLI, Creative Labs E3 USB Soundcard, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVME, Corsair AXi 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard, Logitech Proteus Core Mouse, Acer Predator X34 @ 100Hz, Sennheiser Gamer Zero, Windows 10 Professional

Got the 32GB Kit replaced but haven't installed it yet. Flashed to 2001 ( NON MODDED ) this morning using my old 16GB Kit and everything is running fine. Haven't tried any OCing yet as I don't want to jinx it just yet.

theroc44
Level 9
hey guys anybody have another download link, i downloaded it but it wouldnt flash said incorrect bios wanted to redownload it but the link has a timer for downloads.

theroc44 wrote:
hey guys anybody have another download link, i downloaded it but it wouldnt flash said incorrect bios wanted to redownload it but the link has a timer for downloads.

You need to use the USB Bios Flashback method.

Download the bios and follow these steps:

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Hapatingjaky wrote:
You need to use the USB Bios Flashback method.

Download the bios and follow these steps:

http://event.asus.com/2012/mb/USB_BIOS_Flashback_GUIDE/

Hey thanks that fixed it for me, I guess the bios was intact. Thanks again.

theroc44 wrote:
Hey thanks that fixed it for me, I guess the bios was intact. Thanks again.

It was never broke, you can't flash an unsigned BIOS by the normal methods 🙂

danielb
Level 7
Thanks this worked first time no issues.

I'm running 6 drives on the raid controller. 2x SDD's Raid 0 and 4x 1TB SATA HDD Raid 1+0.
I was sick and tired of random drives dropping causing the raid to rebuild, fingers crossed that stops now.