All modules updated.

Thanks to Unborn.
Asus x670e Hero, 7950x, TG 7000, Master 4090, 970 PRO, 860 EVO, Intel 750,
SN850, SN750, 840 Pro, 2xSkyhawk 4TB, Pioneer S12U
EVGA T2 1600, Silverstone TJ11, Custom LC, Acer Predator x35, Philips OLED
19 REPLIES 19

madmarc69
Level 7
The modded Version 2001 works fine for me.

drop4205
Level 12
what is different form the modded bios to the stk bios? Is it worth trying or running the modded bios vs stk?
Maximus XI Formula, I9-9900k, Phantex Evolove X, Seasonic Titanium 850W, Custom loop PE360+SE360 Rad, G.Skill Trident Z F4-3200C14 32g, Nvidia Reference RTX 2080 TI, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1Tb, Windows 11

Sprayingmango
Level 10
Can you tell me what exactly is different in these modded bios? Do they perform better? Is there any objective testing to show this?

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

Minsekt
Level 7
is guess its not, thats why asus doesnt upgrade the stuff either, if it would be necessary im sure they would update the stuff too. i always stick to the official bios, cant be wrong i guess.

GoNz0-
Level 10
The mods started off as me updating the Raid controller to version 14 (was 13) as 13 dropped raid array drives at random , after that anything that could be updated was updated. Lan, Raid, microcode etc.
Asus have one of the worst aftersales as far as updating drivers and BIOS unless they have to, and when they do they don't say why.
They don't even support the board here any more.
Email support hope you get bored trying and ignore you after a while, a lot of people are jumping ship next upgrade due to this.
I phoned support once. Never again, a totally clueless inept support rep that had no idea what I was talking about.

Qwinn
Level 11
For most of us without RAID, the main reason to use the modded BIOS is for the microcode. Now, Windows will update the microcode regardless, so that by the time you're in Windows everything is fine. So the old version of the microcode will only run for you during the boot process regardless. The thing is, no one knows how much effect the microcode has during the boot process itself. Does it affect voltages, power consumption, etc.? If anyone knows, I'm not among them. But, it's certainly possible, as a few people have reported being able to operate their normal overclock at significantly lower voltages with the modded BIOS, though I have not heard anyone claim they actually increased their maximum OC as a result of the microcode update. I did experiment and sadly did not see the voltage reduction that other people claimed to, but I'm still running modded 1902 anyway because, well, can't see a compelling reason to downgrade now that it's there and working fine. Until I hear that 2001 (modded or otherwise) addressed something other than M.2, which I don't use, I'll just stick with it.

Is there anything in the BIOS mods that affect how the board is reading/responding to the input from the power supplies? I ask in reference to the post of Rampage V Extreme issue with Thermaltake XT TPX-1275M, XT TPX-1375M, & TPX-1275M... would really like to keep at least one of these and not have to return and lose restocking fees... 😕

Hey all,

So I downloaded this modded bios last night, copied it to an old 256MB USB key from dell I had lieing around. I renamed it to R5E, reset my bios defaults, shut the system down, put the key into the correct slot and hit the button. Let it do its thing, I actually waited about an hour before turning it back on as I was in the middle of doing other ****.

Turned the PC on and no post, can't remember what code it had stopped on so I powered down the system, hit the CMOS reset on the back and turned it on. I would cycle through all the codes about 4 times each, took very long and it did post, so I entered the bios set bios defaults screen went black, the system shut off and then turned back on, it booted in to windows, ran Prime95 for a liltte bit( system was not OC'd as bios defaults were set ) no crashes or errors. So I did a restart, system wouldn't post again. Shut it down, turned it on and entered the bios, set XMP for the Kingston HyperX was surprised it didn't set a 125MHz strap but stayed at 100. Save and exit, entered Windows, again some Prim95, WoW and some Division. Went to do my OC so I restarted entered bios, set my 4.8GHz using the 1.35v I normally use and no post, I can no longer OC the CPU at all, even 100MHz.

Prior to flashing the modded bios I used the latest release for the RVEU3.1 which is 1802, I've had no problems at all with that bios.

Still getting the 50/50 chance of booting but no crashes once it enters Windows. On the 1802 bios I had issue entering safemode with my 950 pro. It would hang for about 3 minutes after the Asus rog screen and then give me the options for Safemode etc, it would then constantly boot to that screen ever consecutive boot again waiting 3 minutes. This hasn't happened at all with the 2001 modded. Its the only improvement.
Intel Core i7 5930K @ 4.8GHz, Asus Rampave V Extreme U3.1, Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz 32GB DDR4 ( 4x8GB ), Nvidia GeForce Titan-X SLI, Creative Labs E3 USB Soundcard, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVME, Corsair AXi 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K95 RGB Keyboard, Logitech Proteus Core Mouse, Acer Predator X34 @ 100Hz, Sennheiser Gamer Zero, Windows 10 Professional