cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1080 in SLI running at x16/x8

TrevorR
Level 8
I have a RVE10 with a 6950x paired up with two 1080 classifieds. I'm using the high bandwidth bridge and they are both in the 1st and 3rd slot. Looking at GPUZ one card is running at x16 3.0 but the other is running at x8.0 3.0. I went into the bios and set them both to gen 3.0 but they are still not running at x16/16

I've run the render test, they are running at x16/x8.

Is there anyway to force them to run at x16?

Another key thing is I have an intel 750 in the 2nd slot, is that making the cards running at 16/8?

ANy help appreciated thanks!*
7 REPLIES 7

Zka17
Level 16
TrevorR wrote:
Another key thing is I have an intel 750 in the 2nd slot, is that making the cards running at 16/8?*

There may be the thing... according to the manual (page 1-8), if the first 3 slots are populated, then it will be 16/8/8...

Issue has been resolved thanks to the first poster.

I moved my Intel 750 to the x4 slot right below the 2nd pcie slot and it now reads x16/x16. I''ve been running the previous setup for the past 6 months and consistently scored 22k in fire strike 3dmark. I tested it after the new setup for chits and giggles and my fire strike score boosted to 29k.... Uhh.. Witcher 3 FPS went up by 8-9 on average. Uhhh?

Does x16/16 make that much of a difference over x8?? I really can't believe I've been running this since I got it. I just now 6 months after getting the cards noticed the x16/x8...

Chino
Level 15
Can't speak for a SLI setup. But as far as a single GPU goes, the difference between x16 and x8 is very small.

Zarathustraa
Level 7
x16 only really matters if you're doing bitcoin mining, data analysis, or some type of AI task with the gpus.

JustinThyme
Level 13
Ive noted no difference in x16 vs X8. The cards bandwidth doesn't exceed X8. I imagine you had other issues in your config with the SSD sharing bandwidth.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

linxeye
Level 8
Yup, impossible to notice more than a 1% variation in 3DMark (that is to say within the benchmark error margin) when going from 16/8 to 16/16.