cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Updated BIOS on TUF Gaming Laptop, 2021 edition, SSD No Longer Exists, Deleted my OS

johnnified
Level 9
OKay, so I bought a ASUS TUF Gaming Laptop, 2021 edition.

Straight out of the box it was beautiful, started it up, came with windows 11 home, looks amazing.
Windows 11 wants to do updates so I let it. Constant waiting and restarts, blah blah blah. The next one on the list was "Asus FIRMWARE Update"
It takes me automatically to the EZ Flash telling me it will now update to the latest bios. I click okay, it does it.
Laptop finishes the bios update and keeps booting to bios. I find this odd, so I go to boot options and nothing is listed. The beautiful 1TB SSD which was working moments ago no longer exists in my laptop bios and wont boot to it nor does it show up in any boot options. Thanks.

Now what?
4 REPLIES 4

johnnified
Level 9

Update:
After a long furious battle with impotent rage I have solved the issue. The bios update fried my SSD. I replaced my NVMe SSD with a new one I had for my failed PC build from Dark Hero Motherboard coming faulty in the mail and (after frustration of it not showing up in Windows installation boot) I finally got everything to show by running the intel rapid storage drivers via external thumbdrive. Only 1 of the SSD's showed, the other one wouldnt. After installing windows and pulling out the one which came with the laptop, it still boots.

Conclusion: The SSD which came with the laptop got fried somehow by the BIOS update and i had to replace it with my own. My only issue which still remains from out of the box is how slow it boots up to even the bios logo and onto windows. You would think it is a laptop from 2002

johnnified wrote:
Update:
After a long furious battle with impotent rage I have solved the issue. The bios update fried my SSD. I replaced my NVMe SSD with a new one I had for my failed PC build from Dark Hero Motherboard coming faulty in the mail and (after frustration of it not showing up in Windows installation boot) I finally got everything to show by running the intel rapid storage drivers via external thumbdrive. Only 1 of the SSD's showed, the other one wouldnt. After installing windows and pulling out the one which came with the laptop, it still boots.

Conclusion: The SSD which came with the laptop got fried somehow by the BIOS update and i had to replace it with my own. My only issue which still remains from out of the box is how slow it boots up to even the bios logo and onto windows. You would think it is a laptop from 2002

Same as the previous colleague, if it is still under warranty, you could take it, clearly with the whole drive, out of your ssd. On the other hand, if it is not under warranty, you could check where is the short of the m.2 board and in case it is not the emmc memory chip or similar, you could change the component that is giving short power. If there is no power short then the problem is in the ssd boot. This usually happens when the internal boards of the chip are corrupted by anything. In that case, it remains to go into the chip and replace the corrupted board with a new one. There are some softwares out there that have databases of all these chips, to which I do not recommend to download and use without the necessary knowledge, related tools. After all it is not so simple, and on the other hand I am only informing you about the existence of software and chip databases as a help, so you are free to do what you want.

xeromist
If it's still under warranty you can get the drive replaced. Unfortunately you'll have to send the whole machine with the failed drive installed so it's up to you whether it's worth the time.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…