cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Decrease in video card RTX4060 consumption with a corresponding drops fps

fpgsila
Level 7

I noticed that when playing with RTX enabled in various games, after some time, the fps drops, while the processor and video card frequencies remain at the same values as before, but the video card consumption decreases by about 20-30 watts. ASUS TUF Gaming F17 FX707ZV4 laptop (i7 12700H, RTX 4060, 16 Gb, QHD, Windows 11)

For example, before and after:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg

16 REPLIES 16

Raibex87
Level 11

Is your battery dropping to 99%? Also, try this on a game where you're nowhere close to being VRAM limited (it looks like in all of these you may be close to or at that limit).

fpgsila
Level 7

Batterry always 100%. If I lower the graphics settings and reduce the resolution to Full HD, then the VRAM usage goes up to 6 GB and I haven’t noticed drops, but the GPU usage is also up only to 95 watts. My question is, if the drops really occur when the VRAM limit is reached, how can I avoid them? I didn’t buy a laptop with an RTX 4060 GPU to play on low settings at Full HD))

ASUS is known to underdesign their VRMs/chargers and keep them running at full speed for 15 minutes (enough time for a laptop reviewer to get a good benchmark) and then lower the speed. I have an FX507ZM that throttles the CPU to 25 watts after about 15 minutes to stop the battery from discharging while gaming (because I think either the VRMs or chargers wouldn't be able to keep up). This is probably a related issue.

I can't guarantee my case is related to yours, but if your laptop is still within the return period, I would do that as soon as possible and get a Lenovo Legion which can actually maintain its rated speeds.

kikimahe
Level 10

Hi,

You worried me with this decrease consumption CPU and GPU.  😁
So I test my Tuf F17 (2022) / CPU 12700H / 32 Go / GPU 3060 RTX.

I played for 1h30 and I didn't see a decrease in FPS or a decrease in CPU/GPU consumption. 

FPS: Around 115fps
Processor: Around 28W
GPU: Around 110W

01.png03.png

TUF GAMING F17 (2022) FX707ZM
I7 12700H / RTX 3060 / 32 Go

You're using a TUF F17 2022, so the issue may be exclusive to the TUF F15 2022. That being said, you're CPU is pulling 28 W, which is around what mine would decrease to after dropping to 99% battery (down from 65 W). So make sure your battery is charged to 100% before testing and try a very CPU-intensive game (e.g. CSGO, Battlefield V or 2042, etc.).

Luckily, I managed to get a refund on my TUF F15 due to a separate issue with the charging port and am waiting for a Lenovo Legion to come in. I'm never buying an Asus product again after having an issue like that.

Thank you for your comment @Raibex87 
I'm going to try with a 100% charged battery and an another game. 

I hope your Lenovo will be better.🤞

Well, I tried with the battery 100% charged on the same game.

The CPU goes to 3.5Mhz and consumption beyond +45W.
But I still haven't observed a decrease.

@Raibex87 could you explain to me why the CPU performance is much better when the battery charge limit (60%) is not used? I would like to understand why it is better with 100% battery.
Thanks.

Because ASUS doesn't know how to properly design a BIOS. I think they forgot that they had the charge limiting option available and made it so that anytime the battery is at less than 100%, the total CPU + GPU TDP cannot go over ~146 W - regardless of whether the laptop is actually charging or not.

It also depends on the game you are playing - sometimes it takes 1-2 hours of playing to cause the battery to drain to 99%. However, if your CPU is being throttled, you are exceeding the 146 W limit, meaning the battery is slowly discharging so the system has to throttle the CPU to prevent this from happening.

You just proved this also exists on your model, since the CPU clocks are a whole GHz higher. However, if you're playing a very CPU limited game, you might never notice a decrease because that combined power draw doesn't exceed 146 W (because the GPU wouldn't be drawing much power).

Thank you very much for your explanation which is very clear. 👌👍
And this is very stupid from ASUS...

Now I understand that I must make a choice:
Sacrifice battery health or sacrifice performance. 😅