Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS X542BA-DH99 Laptop Windows 10 Won't Load

panzlock
Level 12
Good day, lurkers.

My mother's laptop has experienced this issue for the second time, now:

ERROR: 0xc0000185

Last time I resolved this problem by repairing Windows using a DVD. But THIS time around I can't seem to be able to get beyond the "ASUS In Search of Incredible" loading screen before the system shuts down or reverts to the blue ERROR screen.

On several occasions it just booted directly into BIOS.

Once, BIOS didn't recognize the primary drive at all.

Initially, before the above issues materialized and I was able to boot into Windows the disk usage was 100% with the responsiveness of an East German Trabant. Not that this ever handled like an F1 Merc or Ferrari but JESUS, this was a painful length of time to sit through. And not even a baby at the end.

Is this a sign of a failing hard drive or is this software related? Pertinent to the problem, Windows had a hard time updating between the time I solved the issue and this latest occurrence.

I tried repairing Windows using multiple functions but to no avail. If anyone has an idea what the problem could be please advise.

Specs: https://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=710_577_369&item_id=116402
I'd like to deploy my troops in her country.
5 REPLIES 5

davemon50
Level 11
Could be a virus or a hardware issue. I would reinstall Windows completely in lieu of repair. When in Windows I would perform a check on the drive with your favorite disk utility. The other thing to try would be to reseat RAM one at a time, if it's convenient enough to get to within the laptop (sometimes some RAM is buried beneath and not readily accessible).
Davemon50

panzlock
Level 12
That's the main problem I'm having right now, the inability to load into Windows, repair Windows or reinstall Windows. The Windows disc goes through the menus but both the repair and clean reinstall options fail after some time.

Trying to exercise all options before I open her up and tinker with her innards. I have another laptop from which I can scavenge an HDD but this was supposed to be the last resort but based on this experience it's likely there's a drive failure. Unless I'm missing something.

panzlock
Level 12
Solved!

Finally able to install Windows. After installation I ran the laptop for a few minutes only to experience the same 100% disk usage issue followed by a shutdown. Some time later it would again directly enter into BIOS, failing to recognize the primary drive.

I swapped hard drives from an older laptop and the issue went away. The Seagate on the newer laptop failed. For future reference 100% disk usage may be a sign of a failing HDD.

davemon50
Level 11
I have found the quality of WD HDD's much greater than Seagate. Not surprised.
Davemon50

panzlock
Level 12
Luckily the other one is WD. Next time the retailer tells me I'm unable to return a laptop simply because "I don't like it" they better tell me, in detail, the specs of each component inside.