cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS TUF FX 505 Fan Rattling

MrTDale
Level 7
Hello, I've seen from other forums that a lot of people seem to have this problem.
I have an ASUS TUF FX 505DU as stated in the title and I seem to be experiencing a problem with my CPU fan which started about two months ago. I've had this laptop for about 6 or 7 months now

My fan started rattling whenever the fan speed is about 4000 RPM and below, most noticeable at low RPM and mostly non-existent when I'm on turbo. There's also a problem where it takes a longer time for the fan to change speed (i.e my GPU fan takes a second or two to go from 2700 RPM to 5800 RPM, while my CPU fan takes about 10 seconds or so.) When I switch around Performance or Turbo, the CPU fan gets stuck to 5000+ RPM (turbo fans) instead of going to 4000 RPM (Performance fans).

Recently though, I've experienced a new problem. the noise seems to have been lowering / disappearing, which seems to sound great but the fan speeds aren't properly changing. Instead of going to 5000+ on Turbo, it gets stuck to around 4500 RPM and sometimes even goes lower than that. I have a feeling this will cause problems with my temperature when I'm playing demanding games because the fan is unable to run at a high speed.

I haven't opened the laptop yet as I have no tools and I'm not very tech-savvy so I would rather not risk break this laptop so I'm gonna send it for repairs if it needs to be replaced. Does anyone know what causes this? Is the problem simply accumulating too much dust or is the fan broken and needs to be replaced?

EDIT: Just an additional question. I only feel air coming out of the CPU vent but not from the GPU vent even at high speeds, is that another problem or is it because my GPU temp is always at 50 - 60c, always very low compared to CPU?
1 REPLY 1

Blake1
Level 10
Hello MrTDale,
Please kindly send your device to service center for further examination.
We can not be sure about the cause before we dismantle it.
Service center would check the air flow as well.
Thank you.