cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

VG27WQ ICC color profile not supported by chromium?

DSD27
Level 7
I have this monitor for a year and a half, the driver was never updated since in the product's page. I've installed the driver and ICC profile from Asus website for this monitor, the colors look washed out in all chromium browsers and apps.
The only "fix" I found online was to disable hardware acceleration or forcing sRGB color in flags. Or you can just don't use Asus's proper color profile and just use the default sRGB ICC profile in Windows. None of them are ideal. The monitor's ICC profile is wide gamut, so we shouldn't be using the default windows sRGB.
The issue occurs in Steam and Spotify app too, since they're chromium based.
Is this normal, or is te a defective color profile? Will it ever be addressed?
10 REPLIES 10

DSD27
Level 7
So, without the Asus ICC profile, the monitor won't work as a wide gamut monitor, but a default sRGB.
After some experimenting, the only way to use the ICC profile provided by Asus with more accurate colors on the web browsers and color managed applications, is to use Cinema mode, which has more saturated colors, instead of Racing mode or sRGB mode. Using Scenery or Theater mode, the monitor will behave as the usual wide gamut monitors, which look good in Chrome and oversaturated in the desktop environment. Racing and sRGB will only look right if used with the window's default sRGB ICC profile.
Strangely, all reviews of Asus monitors tell you to use Racing mode, as it's the closest to sRGB , and don't even mention the Asus ICC profile.
Was the ICC profile created for Scenery mode?

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
Not sure where you downloaded the ICC profile from but it's not for your monitor.

MasterC@ROG wrote:
Not sure where you downloaded the ICC profile from but it's not for your monitor.

From here: https://www.asus.com/Displays-Desktops/Monitors/TUF-Gaming/TUF-Gaming-VG27WQ/HelpDesk_Download/
It's the only one.

After installing the ICC profile, it says it's from AOC. Something is wrong with the ICC profile. It overcompensates for the monitor's wide gamut in color managed applications, it's too washed out.
It seems clear that Asus made a mistake uploading the ICC profile for this monitor.

xeromist
The page you linked only seems to have the driver download. Are you saying the profile was installed with the driver then? Or did you import it separately somehow?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
The page you linked only seems to have the driver download. Are you saying the profile was installed with the driver then? Or did you import it separately somehow?

The ICC profile is part of the driver, it's present in the files you extract and it's installed automatically with the driver.

xeromist
OK, thanks for confirming. I'm not sure on the VG27 but it's possible the panel is manufactured by AOC, so it might not be a mistake. It could still be that there is something about the profile that Windows or Chrome doesn't like but I don't have this display to test any further for you. Personally, I would just not use the profile and manually adjust, but it's up to you.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
OK, thanks for confirming. I'm not sure on the VG27 but it's possible the panel is manufactured by AOC, so it might not be a mistake. It could still be that there is something about the profile that Windows or Chrome doesn't like but I don't have this display to test any further for you. Personally, I would just not use the profile and manually adjust, but it's up to you.

But if I create my own ICC profile through windows calibration tool, or don't use one at all, it will be an sRGB profile, it won't be a wide gamut ICC profile.
The Asus ICC profile is only bad in color managed applications, it looks weird and washed out. The wide gamut ICC profile does its job of telling color managed apps that the monitor is wide gamut to reduce oversaturation on sRGB content, but I think it's too aggressive and looks off. Maybe the ICC profile was made to use with every mode except Racing and sRGB which are sRGB calibrated?

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
After investigating internally, the driver is not the issue. It would seem that the monitor firmware may need to be reflashed, please send the monitor to one of the service centers to do this.

DSD27 wrote:
But if I create my own ICC profile through windows calibration tool, or don't use one at all, it will be an sRGB profile, it won't be a wide gamut ICC profile.
The Asus ICC profile is only bad in color managed applications, it looks weird and washed out. The wide gamut ICC profile does its job of telling color managed apps that the monitor is wide gamut to reduce oversaturation on sRGB content, but I think it's too aggressive and looks off. Maybe the ICC profile was made to use with every mode except Racing and sRGB which are sRGB calibrated?

MasterC@ROG wrote:
After investigating internally, the driver is not the issue. It would seem that the monitor firmware may need to be reflashed, please send the monitor to one of the service centers to do this.

So if there's nothing wrong in the driver of the VG27WQ, looking at the screenshot I've previously posted, we can conclude that the VG27WQ is made with a AOC panel from 2016?
I already solved the problem, I got closer by using the ICC profile from the VG27WQ1B. The ICC profile is named VG27W, so I guess it can be used with both monitors? Since they're basically the same panel. The sRGB content looks better with this ICC profile. And this one says it's from Asus.
Here's a screenshot of the ICC profile from the VG27WQ1B: