cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange line down the middle of my MG279Q - (Resolved)

junker
Level 7
Hello All,

Since i got an R9 Fury i've been seeing a strange blurry line down the middle of my monitor, and also some lines/flicker down the left side of the monitor. I can be fixed
by changing hz or rebooting, and before you know it.. its back again.

I read in this forum http://www.gpforums.co.nz/threads/513129-Asus-MG279Q-issue/page2 that Nvidia users using the PG279Q saw a similar problem and that is was
fixed with a firmware update:https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...G-SWIFT-PG279Q

Alot of AMD users are seeing the exact same problem with the MG279Q - are Asus aware of this?

See these threads - Apparently it happens mostly when using the Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro - Sapphire denies any problems in their end.

I have that card and i have had i swapped only to see the issue again.

https://community.amd.com/message/2744810
https://community.amd.com/thread/205764

I recorded a few videos of my monitor: see them here: https://www.dropbox.com/sc/pps8u0wao...RJtKzclH4Orkaa

I hope that someone from Asus will comment on this.

Thanks

Morten
137 REPLIES 137

grum_feast wrote:
I'm ok with the additional wait since shipping was paid for and thanks for the escalation Bahz.

A bit more details on what it was doing before I sent it back again btw... With the CRU settings reset and the refresh set to 144hz I probably power cycled it 30+ times without the original blurry line showing up. Before it came up maybe 1 in 5 times so I think the new firmware fix really worked this time. To test the solid red line I plugged the monitor into my Chromebook over HDMI and it was still there so it definitely seems to be dead pixels and not something else.

At least this new issue won't be as tricky for the service center to troubleshoot.

No problem, I hope you get the monitor back as soon as possible. It's good to hear that the scan line issue seems to be fixed for you. Looking forward to your update once you get back the monitor. Thanks.

Alright, got everything back from Asus today so here's my report.

They went ahead and sent me a brand new MG279Q. No dead pixels that I can see and the backlight has less halo than the one I had before so zero complaints there. I plugged it in through DP, made sure all my custom CRU settings were cleared, and set the display to 2560x1440 @ 144hz. After power cycling the monitor over 20 times the strange line has *not* shown up.

Unless by some miracle it glitches out later I'm going to say everything is looking good. Thanks Asus and Bahz.

grum_feast wrote:
Alright, got everything back from Asus today so here's my report.

They went ahead and sent me a brand new MG279Q. No dead pixels that I can see and the backlight has less halo than the one I had before so zero complaints there. I plugged it in through DP, made sure all my custom CRU settings were cleared, and set the display to 2560x1440 @ 144hz. After power cycling the monitor over 20 times the strange line has *not* shown up.

Unless by some miracle it glitches out later I'm going to say everything is looking good. Thanks Asus and Bahz.

Hey, can you provide an update on this? Is the issue cleared?

@Bahz, I would like to have my monitor shipped in for repair too. What steps do I need to take?

Thanks *

Glutenbob wrote:
Hey, can you provide an update on this? Is the issue cleared?

@Bahz, I would like to have my monitor shipped in for repair too. What steps do I need to take?

Thanks *

Yes, through multiple reports of users who sent it back for the firmware update, this issue now resolved. If you confirmed that you do have this scan line issue then please contact local customer service to arrange to have monitor sent back for RMA. If you encounter any issues with the local customer service, please send me a private message with the product serial number, RMA#, and Case ID# and I can follow up on this for you.

I sent my monitor in last Wednesday and got it back the following Wednesday. The whole process took one week. The scan line issue is gone. Bahz was great. Thank you very much for helping get this issue resolved. The panel looks great. Running at 144hz with no issues. Finally!!

I found this thread yesterday and have been wondering for 2 years what was wrong with my computer/setup. I spent thousands replacing parts and building multiple computers to figure out the issue and for some reason didn't suspect the monitor. I went and bought a PG279Q (since I have another computer with an Nvidia card) and of course the issues I've been having are completely gone.

My symptoms:
- Horizontal Scanline that goes top to bottom is extremely apparent
- Screen generally looks blurry
- Colors are dim when the issues are occurring
- Vertical line down the middle of my screen before installing drivers, or permanently there on the BIOS/startup logos
- Caused input lag in all games as well as slight input lag on the desktop
- Generally looks choppy and doesn't look like a true 144hz

I'm not sure where I should go from here but if possible I would like to RMA the monitor. An Asus employee told me to 'hard reboot' the monitor so...I'm hoping it doesn't get shrugged off like that. Is there an Asus employee that knows about this issue that can help me out?

grum_feast
Level 7
One last thing, overclocking my freesync range to 57-144hz is still working.

Bahz
Level 12
I'm so glad to hear that you have a perfectly working monitor now, thanks for sharing this update with us. 🙂