cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zephyrus s17 GX703HS FAN KEEPS ON REVVING UP AND DOWN ON IDLE. ALSO LEFT PALM REST IS HOT

robbyrobby
Level 8

Zephyrus s17 GX703HS FAN KEEPS ON REVVING UP AND DOWN ON IDLE. ALSO LEFT PALM REST IS HOT. 

been using for the past 2 months and it is very annoying the humming sound stops and starts with just 40-60deg temperature. also the left palm rest is always hot ! this feels very abnormal and my wrist is always sweaty because of this 

8 REPLIES 8

world

Hey Robby

Has this problem always been there for the 2 months you've had the Zephyrus?

Could you check on a couple things?

-cpu and gpu usage while you're idling

-cpu and gpu temperatures while idling

Thanks

Room Temperature 24deg. (Airconditioned Office). Apps open chrome 1 rog-forums, Armory Crate. Performance Mode

Ide CPU USAGE  4-30%     IdleGPU USAGE 0%

CPU TEMP 51deg     GPU TEMP 0deg  

CPU & GPU FAN 0RPM to 1800RPM to 2200rpm

Left palmrest  warm like a cup of newley prepared coffee with my wrist sweatmarks. Right palmrest is cold like plastic 

Do you have a proper service Center in Singapore wherein someone can give me a tutorial how to properly manage and maximize my laptop. Ive been a supporter of Asus Rog since 2011. This is my 6th Rog laptop

Working Conditions

CPU USAGE  25-41%     GPU USAGE 4%

CPU TEMP 55-80deg     GPU TEMP 52deg  

CPU & GPU FAN 1800RPM to 2200rpm to 3000rpm.  Its very annoying at this range. It revs up and down  like it couldnt make up its mind

Left palmrest  up to left keyboard warm like a cup of newley prepared coffee with my wrist sweatmarks. Right palmrest is still cold like plastic. The laptop is now like a handwarmer. Good if you are in Switzerland. Hell if you are in Singapore

This problem has always been there. Actually when i first bought it. It got some fan ticking problems. Then got replced with a new one within 2 days. But the revving of fans has always been there. I always play music at home so i dont notice it. But when im in the office my collegues get annoyed by it like someone playing with a hairdryer turning it on/off repeatedly. I think its the tolerance of the fans revving up for temperatures between 40-50degrees. Since this is idle temperatures once it hits 51degrees it revs up and revs down at 50 (this is just my theory) Also the leftpalmrest is always warm that it kinda scares me that the battery might be overheating. I am using asus batterylife app at 60% max lifespan

was observing it is the 1800rpm to 2400rpm that keeps on revving for like 3 secs then stop then rev again. it plays around 55deg-60deg. Also attached photo of sweaty palm rest. Imagine using the laptop on a non-airconditioned room. Sweat pools on it. Fortunately im in an airconditioned environment most of the time. 

Thanks for all the information - much appreciated! On the palm rest point- It seems the Zephyrus S17 GX703HS does tend to warm up more toward the left side, so some left-right temperature imbalance is normal. For fan revving up and down: There's definitely a threshold for fans turning on and off, but the fan noise should be manageable especially in performance mode. Just as a test, how is the fan on/off noise problem if you're in silent mode? Have you tried using manual mode to tweak? Do you experience any performance issues if you're loading the laptop up? Games or otherwise thanks

I bought a mini usb fan just pointed directly at the palm rest to directly cool it down and cool down my sweaty palm/wrist. Im always on performance mode since i use my laptop for work. Even on sillent mode the fan will just keep on revving up and down since i am using the laptop. The noise is not the problem. its the stop/start of the fan that is annoying. I would prefer continous fan noise then the one that is stop/starting with just a few temp. degree diffrence. I dont do manual mode since it says that  i would be risking the integrity of my laptop.

I use my my laptop for work.  Archicad / Twinmotion Unreal Engine / Google chrome 3-10 tabs open.  It is nonsese if i keep using silent mode since i bought this laptop for its specs and performance. 

No problem with performance issues when loading/starting the laptop up

But there are some lagging when im working with multiple programs opened. I dont usually game. But i play world of tanks onece in a while

Maybe you can do a patch/update for zephyrus s17 users to fix the fan revving problem. Also please consider design and the temperature at the palm rest on the next iteration of ROG laptops.

average room temperature when im working at home is 28 to 30deg . office is constant 24deg

so whats the resolution for this issue? is there any representative of ASUS ROG in Singapore that can help me?