cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zephyrus S GX701 Overheating / Throttling

CROZ7
Level 7
Hey All,

I bought a Zephyrus S GX701 with an RTX 2070 last October. I never felt any lags or thermal issues earlier. I encountered a problem and suddenly the laptop was shut off and I wasn’t able to power it on. So I sent the laptop in to be repaired early June. Got my laptop with a new motherboard replaced.

Post that my thermals were significantly higher ( 85*c - 91*c) in ideal condition. So I again sent my laptop for the thermal issue. Just got it back a few days ago. Now my thermals are fine, during the ideal condition (40*c - 50*c), but during a few mins, in-game my thermals are constantly around 90+*c not even in high demanding games. I can see the GPU Perfcap reason as thermals in GPU-Z. Which I never seen earlier.

Also, I'm unable to undervolt my GPU & CPU (BIOS - v308). I can see my GPU voltage is between 600mV - 700mV most of the time. So I'm unable to undervolt even in MSI afterburner (mV graph starts from 700mv in MSI afterburner). I've also tried ASUS GPU Tweak II but I can't find any solution. Reg the CPU undervolting I have tried both Intel XTU & Throttlestop

Ideal state

In-game for few mins

It would be very helpful if anyone gives some advice on how to get this thermal throttle issue sorted. Thanks in advance!
5 REPLIES 5

HoNhan
Level 7
Well, because you have upgraded your bios to the newest version, which mean it had been applied intel fix plundervolt - or block undervolt ability. You must downgrade to your old bios from asus driver support page

Thermal paste on GPU and CPU must be replaced or give back for warranty. The temperature on the GPU is dangerously high. You can damage it.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello CROZ7,
Do you still encounter the device shut down after the repair?
Thank you.

Blake@ASUS wrote:
Hello CROZ7,
Do you still encounter the device shut down after the repair?
Thank you.

I m not facing any shutdown issues after motherboard replacement. Instead, my GPU and CPU temperatures are hitting dangerously high (90+*c) and I m encountering thermal throttle often after starting/few mins in-game. Which causes huge shuttering and lag. I m afraid to use my device even at a normal load since it can damage the internal components

I have also raised a case to ASUS service explaining the problem in detail and still didn't receive a feasible solution from the team

Blake1
Level 10
Hello CROZ7,
Please kindly send your device to service center for further examination.
Thank you.