cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zephyrus S GX701 Keyboard Question

Blarg1480
Level 7
Hey All,

Have a question about a Keyboard issue with my Zephyrus S GX701. I have had it 2 years and use it for gaming mostly, but recently my "W" key has been sticking. When playing a game and holding "W" when I let go it can take 5 or 6 seconds for it to stop input. Only one key does this and I have tried swapping the plastic clip with another key with no change.

My question is: the rubber cushion under the keys, can they be removed/replaced? I am thinking this is the issue but I dont want to remove it and break it completely.

My laptop is outside of warranty and would rather not send it away for 2 - 3 weeks (because of where I live) to have it looked at.

Edit: I should note, pressing the w key when typing a document works fine, its only when held that it does this.

- Jon
5 REPLIES 5

world
hey Blarg,

In most membrane keyboards, the rubber is in large sheets rather than individual pieces, so it may be difficult to just replace a single one.

Have you tried contacting support about this issue? I know you don't want to send your laptop away, but maybe they can help you with what kind of spare parts are available.

Interesting that the w key doesn't stick when you're typing, but sticks when you're gaming. Does it stick if you hold w in a word processor?

Hey,

I did contact support unfortunately I just received a very scripted 'sorry please send your laptop in for service'. In regards to the issue, I can replicate it in a document while typing. Although it only happens after holding the key for several seconds (like when moving in a game), so generally I would have no reason to hold the key down outside of gaming.

It doesn't appear that the keyboard is a single rubber membrane although I am unsure how it is fixed in place. I have attached a picture of the key in question, plus the key to the right is the "E" key with the plastic clip still in place.

-Jon

Hey,

I did contact support unfortunately I just received a very scripted 'sorry please send your laptop in for service'. In regards to the issue, I can replicate it in a document while typing. Although it only happens after holding the key for several seconds (like when moving in a game), so generally I would have no reason to hold the key down outside of gaming.

It doesn't appear that the keyboard is a single rubber membrane although I am unsure how it is fixed in place. I have attached a picture of the key in question, plus the key to the right is the "E" key with the plastic clip still in place.

-Jon

Still hoping someone will have some insight on how these cushions are attached/how they work.