cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zephyrus Duo 16 high idle fans

compguru910
Level 9

Hoping to start a discussion to address the issues with this laptop in order to get them fixed. My biggest concern with this laptop is the high idle fans. There is no reason for this. 

While in performance mode, CPU sitting at low CPU usage/temps, the fans don't drop below 2900rpm. Currently my laptop is sitting at 60c on the CPU, and the fans will not stop going. I should be able to use this thing for simple web browsing without it sounding like a hair dryer. I could understand if the CPU was at 90c or something, but its at 60c. There is no reason for this. I know I could switch it to silent, but I shouldn't have to. It becomes obnoxious to havet o switch every time I fire up a game. Especially so now that there isn't an overlay telling you what profile you're in when you use the hotkey to switch. The other issue that is annoying is the black screen when enabling/disabling HDR on the main display. HDR for hte desktop is horrible on this thing, but looks good in games. Kind of irritating having the laptop lock up when switching. Only workaround I've found for that is simply sticking to SDR. HighIdleFanNoise.png

2 REPLIES 2

TechyonZA
Level 9

Just wondering - have you tried the silent mode? Fans hardly move....or manual mode you can customise.

I've also some issues with HDR - specifically crashing windows 11 & other Microsoft related software, ie. office - I found in SDR everything works 100%. 

Yeah. As stated in the original post, I can switch to silent and it will in fact get quiet (sometimes no fans at all), but when the CPU is 60c, there is no reason to have the fans at 3000rpm while in performance mode.

Manual mode is really finnicky. Getting the curve adjusted just right is a pain and sometimes doesn't work. 

The latest GPU driver fixed my HDR issue with switching it on and off, causing it to black screen. I have noticed though while using a USB Hub, the laptop fails to wake from sleep quite often resulting in a hard reboot.