cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zephyrus Duo 16 GX650RM low fan noise sounds like a Hard drive spinning

mety333
Level 7
just got this amazing dream laptop and i noticed that in a silent room where the laptop is in idle, the fan low speed noise is heardable and it sounds like and mechanical Hard Drive Spinning or even maybe low current of water flowing from a fossit.

is this common?

its brand new and im wondering if SOMEHOW something is touching the fans. havent opened the laptop yet so no reason for anything to get inside.

im aware of the high pitch noise while in gaming which is something i will live with but the low speed small noise is dissapointing me because a laptop with only SSD should be 100% quiet at idle really.

also tried to disable turbo boost to make fans speed even slower but still.

I have the RTX 3060 version.

thanks in advance!

(This is my dream Laptop :D)

UPDATE EDIT:
so im now not sure if it is the fans. because it says 0RPM in the armour crate and after a restart it doesnt happen much.

could this be some electric static noise or something?
3 REPLIES 3

KermitdaBlue
Level 7
Let me guess you hear the noise top right bottom corner of the second screen...if so i think its your GPU affected by coil whine... their is no fix unfortunately but having your armoury crate set too performance will lower the whine ( if thats the problem)

check link for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=GUzCXF3oMD0&feature=emb_title

Also try putting the laptop in ECO mode which will disable RTX 3060...restart the pc an see if you can still hear the noise...

Get back to me....

KermitdaBlue wrote:
Let me guess you hear the noise top right bottom corner of the second screen...if so i think its your GPU affected by coil whine... their is no fix unfortunately but having your armoury crate set too performance will lower the whine ( if thats the problem)

check link for example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=9&v=GUzCXF3oMD0&feature=emb_title

Also try putting the laptop in ECO mode which will disable RTX 3060...restart the pc an see if you can still hear the noise...

Get back to me....

Thanks for the explanation.
so are all Asus zephyrus duo 16 laptops affected basically? the video says some vendors on th edesktop version dont have it but since its a laptop gpu i guess everyone has this?
also i have the RTX 3060 version, are the 3070 and 3080 also affected by this?

it seems your suggestion is to live with the dual GPU option even though i prefer to have the dedicated always on which i enabled day 1 😛

thanks again for your replies (:

Hi,

On heavy load of the GPU, when the fans are in low rpm, I can hear the same noise (I don't know how exactly to describe it, I guess like a coil though), not loud but can be noticed though. This was also happening with the previous model DUO15SE with RTX3080 GPU. I guess it is a common thing to many gaming laptops.