cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to buy GU501GM AC adapter??

WRXFA16
Level 7
I recently bought a GU501GM laptop and can't find anywhere to buy an extra AC adapter, OEM or aftermarket (many advertise that they'll fit but don't.) Does anyone know where I can buy one? I've had no response from Asus support via email and phone support told me to look in retail stores..... Any help with finding an extra AC adapter would be greatly appreciated. 
6 REPLIES 6

wvillanueva
Level 7
WRXFA16 wrote:
I recently bought a GU501GM laptop and can't find anywhere to buy an extra AC adapter, OEM or aftermarket (many advertise that they'll fit but don't.) Does anyone know where I can buy one? I've had no response from Asus support via email and phone support told me to look in retail stores..... Any help with finding an extra AC adapter would be greatly appreciated. 

Bumping this thread because I too need to purchase an adapter. My current adapter is working intermittently and needs to be serviced but I need my computer to work so I want to buy one while I get this one RMA'd. I bought one off Ebay but I got burned, it's the old version with a thicker barrel jack.
ASUS doesn't list them on their site, I've called ASUS and was on hold for almost 2 hours and they hung up on me. I've chatted with 2 reps who gave me the run around and finally got on chat with eshop chat and was number 1 in queue for an hour and a half before it said there was a problem and they were disconnecting me. So ASUS is no help. Crap even this forum took me over a day to get registered an as I type this I have to keep verifying I'm not a robot. If I have to RMA the adapter, I am going to go buy a laptop to keep working and get rid of my GM501GU and swear off ASUS. Its sad because I left the Apple Camp and bought ASUS to get more for my money, This may have been a mistake,

I just got off of chat with ASUS Support. They cannot service the power brick as they do not have some sort of information on it and could not issue an RMA at this time and to try again later. I wish I took a screenshot of the conversation but I didn't. I did however screenshot the ASUS Shop support site telling me they do not have the power adapter and cannot sell me one. They gave me the part number and asked me to go to their list of retailers (Best Buy, Amazon, Adorama, etc) and order from them but I tried that already. No one has it.

I'm floored. Completely floored. I'm going to take the laptop back to Best Buy as a hail mary and explain to them what is going on and show them the screenshots of the conversations I have. I don't expect anything from them but I refuse to be out all the money for this laptop.

JustinThyme
Level 13
If this place doesnt have you will have to improvise. Nothiing saying you cant find another that wil actuallt be a direct match or a bit more on the power rating is actually a good thing. Old G74SX I had ran into the same issue and ended up buying a larger power supply and a new plug and a little solder and shrink tube...done.
https://www.asusparts.eu/en/

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity, I'm not sure about the former” ~ Albert Einstein

So things I discovered:

- I think the plug is proprietary in nature. It isn't a standard Barrel Plug. I received what I thought might be a replacement from an online store but I think it belongs to the previous generation of ROG. The Barrel plug wall is "thicker". Still a 5mm x 2.5 mm but it does not fit the laptop. The listing was not correct and what I received was ADP-180MB. I also went through a barrel plug kit and I could not find a match to "frankenstein" an adapter. Which at 180 Watts makes me very uncomfortable.
- Best Buy cannot repair it. They are not authorized to repair power supplies and will only order a replacement part from ASUS. They cannot order the part because they don't have ANY parts for the ROG line
- After pressing them, a Best Buy manager type found out that ASUS has pulled ALL parts and service agreements from Best Buy. Best Buy cannot order parts anymore nor service ASUS laptops. This usually means the line is going to be pulled from he says historically happened in the past.
- The manager and employees were very nice and thought this situation was stupid so the only thing he can do is scheduling me to bring the laptop in (after I back up and wipe the drives) and they're going to help me RMA it. If ASUS doesn't respond, he has mechanisms in place to refund me since the laptop is still under warranty. So I'm packing it up and taking it in tomorrow.

So I'm doing that. I'm going to have to buy something in the mean time. I'm preferring a refund but if I actually do get a working laptop back, I'm going to sell it immediately.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
WRXFA16 wrote:
I recently bought a GU501GM laptop and can't find anywhere to buy an extra AC adapter, OEM or aftermarket (many advertise that they'll fit but don't.) Does anyone know where I can buy one? I've had no response from Asus support via email and phone support told me to look in retail stores..... Any help with finding an extra AC adapter would be greatly appreciated. ����

Hi,

Unfortunately, don't have any 'official information' regarding this either and could be wrong, but found some information below.

According to our system, the GU501GM is using the adapter with specs below.
==========
ADAPTER 180W 19.5V 3P(6PIH)
==========

Many of our other gaming notebooks will also use adapters with 6mm diameter plug (center pin in the adapter rather than on the notebook side) and 19.5V output, but require 230W instead of 180W.

The ASUS 230W adapter with 19.5V output and 6mm diameter plug plug (center pin in the adapter) is currently sold through distribution in the U.S. under part number 90XB04GN-MPW020 if you want to search for it and try it.

My information shows the adapter part number 90XB04GN-MPW020 will work for the GM501GS which I have available for testing so let me know if you want to see any pictures of our GM501GS adapter or notebook power jack to hopefully confirm that it will fit your GU501GM unit too.
The 230W adapter will be a little bigger and heavier than your current 180W adapter as well.

There are also other gaming notebook models using a similar plug and adapter if we want to look into this.

Same boat here. But after an extensive research online here is what I found:

1. You can use other ASUS adapter as long as they have same voltage which is 19.5v, but DO NOT plug in any 19v adapter.
2. You can use a 230w 19.5v with same barrel size. Even though the adapter is 230w, you can still use it for the GU501 because it is just the capability of the adapter and your GU501 will still draw 180w of power as long as the voltage matched (19.5v )

1. you can either buy a adapter that is 19.5 v but with other size barrel and buy a 6mm adapter.
2. Buy the 230w 19.5 v adapter that with 6mm and use it

I found on Ebay that it cost $160 to buy the exact same 180w 19.5v 6mm adapter, noted that the adapter has ROG logo and not ordinary ASUS logo. Or you can buy a brick size 230w 19.5v 6mm after market adapter from Chinese sites for $50

This is just me input and not solid suggestion.