cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

time to upgrade g72gx

KRAYGON
Level 7
12gb ram upgrade , is this possable ?

this from a review of the g72gx same one i have , i do currently have the latest bios installed

Pros: Nice laptop for gaming. With BIOS update, you can upgrade to 12GB of RAM. Processor is easily changed; I went from 2.53GHz (P8700) to 3.06GHz (T9900) Core 2 Duo. You can go to Core 2 Quad if you have the right motherboard. Also a bonus, you can put up to 2TB of storage in this thing if you want the most space available due to the dual HDD bays. Backlit keyboard comes in very handy in the dark while gaming or just browsing the net. Extremely Customizable Laptop!!

i started to worry about my lap top (screen flickering to full black out) but was able to fix this via these fourms , just had to set the windows energy savings mode to full high performance and havint had a screen flicker since

so now I am thinking she will get me to 2013 before I need a new laptop

need advice on 120gb ssd and ram upgrade if possable for this model G72GX-RBBX05

kraygon
2 REPLIES 2

X-ROG
Level 15
Hi Kraygon,

ASUS officially states 6GB of memory in its 3 slots. But Intel reference spec says up to 16GB on the P43 but I don't know if that includes the mobile version. If you can check with a single 4GB DIMM that the BIOS supports 4GB DIMMS, then it should support all 3 slots filled. Most 4GB DIMMS appear to be 667MHz not 800MHz though - if you are going for 800 check the CAS latency isn't v.slow.

About SSDs - yes they'll work but you might not get advanced features like TRIM, depending on the software support for this older chipset. DON'T bother buying a SATA 6Gbps SSD, it's a waste. I actually use an SSD in my ASUS C2D work laptop; it's definitely a speed up from the old 5400 drive!!

GodsApocalypse
Level 7
KRAYGON wrote:
12gb ram upgrade , is this possable ?

this from a review of the g72gx same one i have , i do currently have the latest bios installed

Pros: Nice laptop for gaming. With BIOS update, you can upgrade to 12GB of RAM. Processor is easily changed; I went from 2.53GHz (P8700) to 3.06GHz (T9900) Core 2 Duo. You can go to Core 2 Quad if you have the right motherboard. Also a bonus, you can put up to 2TB of storage in this thing if you want the most space available due to the dual HDD bays. Backlit keyboard comes in very handy in the dark while gaming or just browsing the net. Extremely Customizable Laptop!!

i started to worry about my lap top (screen flickering to full black out) but was able to fix this via these fourms , just had to set the windows energy savings mode to full high performance and havint had a screen flicker since

so now I am thinking she will get me to 2013 before I need a new laptop

need advice on 120gb ssd and ram upgrade if possable for this model G72GX-RBBX05

kraygon

Hey Kraygon,

Were you ever able to verify the 12gb RAM upgrade? If so, was it 667 or 800? Thanks!