cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD Upgrade - Asus Zephyrus G15 - Heatsink Question

MentaHalls
Level 7
Hi. I'm planning on adding an extra SSD to my G15 and I would like to know if the Samsung 980 Pro with a heatsink of 8.6mm (thickness) housing would fit. Or if I need to get the one without the heatsink.

Thanks in Advance
2 REPLIES 2

Arno_Boun
Level 8
MentaHalls wrote:
Hi. I'm planning on adding an extra SSD to my G15 and I would like to know if the Samsung 980 Pro with a heatsink of 8.6mm (thickness) housing would fit. Or if I need to get the one without the heatsink.

Thanks in Advance

I'm unsure of how much clearance you have for your laptop but I have the Zephyrus M15 (GU502GV). When I installed my WD SN750, there wasn't enough clearance to add in the included heatsink. Alternatively, I bought some M.2 thermal pads (1mm thickness) from Amazon and used one thermal pad to replace the heatsink. It fits nicely without too much pressure on the SSD, while the opposite side dissipates heat via the copper foil found on the bottom cover of the laptop. So far, I've had no issue regarding heat.

Hope this helps!

Cheddarmonger
Level 7
Sorry I'm late to the party! I just bought that exact SSD, the Samsung 980 pro with heatsink, for my 2022 G15. Good news and bad news -- nope, the heatsink is too thick. However, you can (with the right tools!!) remove the heatsink and use the thermal pads that come with the original SSD. If you want to add it as a 2nd, be sure to get thermal pads. I migrated the OEM drive to the 980 2tb and I'm running very happy. I really can't see any reason to fill both m.2 slots.....
By the way -- be sure to have a good migration plan! If you use the samsung software, you'll lose the recovery drive.