cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Solved) GM501GS questions

madhacker3kxl
Level 9
I have a few question about the GM501GX-XS74.

• Thunderbolt 3

• Can it run external eGPU / external enclosure for PCI-E? Yes
    • Does it support incoming power from external devices to laptop? I am aware it will not power the laptop entirely but to supplement the main power adapter. Does not support incoming, obviously.
    • What is the current limit on it? USB-C mode 5V 3A

• The keyboard will turn off on battery after idle but it will not power back up after connecting to AC power. I have to go to Aura settings and apply the last settings. Is there any solution for this? The firmware has been updated to the latest version. Restart "Lighting Service".
  • On optimus mode the screen will randomly flicker. I am thinking it is a muxing issue between IGP and Nvidia. I had a the same issue with one of my old laptops and bios update fixed that issue. Is there any support place I can report this to? It is an issue existed since HD/UHD 620. Probably an Intel issue since it also exits in Linux OS. The problem does not exist in UEFI screen.

Edit: Added photo to show the flickering
Edit2: Marked as solved.
22 REPLIES 22

YES YES. I have the same issue. I was under the impression that only my laptop does it. If its a problem across all the gm501 products maybe we could request the team to look into it and perhaps an update would help us.

Speaking of customer care, I have high expectations from Asus coming from Alienware. Alienware just don't want to listen to its customer base. I would not recommend anyone to get one of those. The alienware had so many issues that I had to deal with for 7 years. This laptop has so little issues and frankly, I can live with it. Although its like an itch in the back of your head.

cl-Albert wrote:
Forgot to mention if you are running those ASUS download driver versions and still have problems, would expect we would hear complaints from other customers if there were any problems with those drivers which is one of the reasons we want customers to try them.

Since we don't seem to be hearing similar reports from other customers (I don't always hear that much on my end though), it makes me wonder if there could either be something different about your unit (in hardware or software), or there is actually something defective that repair can fix/replace.

The other possibility may be that you're doing something different to show the problem, so if you have any steps you want me to try with our GM501GS test unit, let me know how to catch the problem on your end and I'll try to duplicate it on our unit.

If you have an external monitor around, curious if the flickering also appears on it when it appears on your notebook screen, or if the flickering always occurs when there is an external monitor attached, if you can test it without an external monitor.

Thanks.

Hi Albert,

The problem can be noticed on high graphic required games or application. And the frequency of the glitch is higher when the app/game is just launched. I do notice it on a normal browsing once in a while but very rarely. its as if you alt + tab twice very quickly. And, thanks for the reply. Appreciated.

I've had the GM501GS for a week and have also noticed flickering in-game and out of game on the Windows desktop. *I found this thread and decided to disable Optimus through the ROG Configuration Center - setting it to G-SYNC only. *Flickering is gone. I haven't done any battery life tests yet.