cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(Solved) GM501GS questions

madhacker3kxl
Level 9
I have a few question about the GM501GX-XS74.

• Thunderbolt 3

• Can it run external eGPU / external enclosure for PCI-E? Yes
    • Does it support incoming power from external devices to laptop? I am aware it will not power the laptop entirely but to supplement the main power adapter. Does not support incoming, obviously.
    • What is the current limit on it? USB-C mode 5V 3A

• The keyboard will turn off on battery after idle but it will not power back up after connecting to AC power. I have to go to Aura settings and apply the last settings. Is there any solution for this? The firmware has been updated to the latest version. Restart "Lighting Service".
  • On optimus mode the screen will randomly flicker. I am thinking it is a muxing issue between IGP and Nvidia. I had a the same issue with one of my old laptops and bios update fixed that issue. Is there any support place I can report this to? It is an issue existed since HD/UHD 620. Probably an Intel issue since it also exits in Linux OS. The problem does not exist in UEFI screen.

Edit: Added photo to show the flickering
Edit2: Marked as solved.
22 REPLIES 22

madhacker3kxl wrote:
I am aware of that and does not answer anything.

Yes I thought you mention that you did a clean install. if that is true then windows installed native drivers, you would need to reinstall the drivers from you eSupport folder or download the ones that are posted in the download support for your notebook. All of the issues you describe are driver related issues if you haven't reinstall you may just need to upgrade the driver glad you already knew where to find.

LOL Every few models Asus attempts to run CPU onboard graphics Optumios and dedicated graphics card it never seems to work out for them hope you solve your issues.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
"No, flickering does not happen on Discrete mode." Problem solved.
Answer: optimus mode doesn't work.
Prove: Same battery life under DGPU VS IGPU. 😕 Why? Fanboy engineer please explain.
Else, Please wait for bios update. Rolling out soon on May 2019.

People get paid to give you crap support, and product they claimed godlike. judge yourself.

ROG_HARDCORE wrote:
"No, flickering does not happen on Discrete mode." Problem solved.
Answer: optimus mode doesn't work.
Prove: Same battery life under DGPU VS IGPU. 😕 Why? Fanboy engineer please explain.
Else, Please wait for bios update. Rolling out soon on May 2019.

People get paid to give you crap support, and product they claimed godlike. judge yourself.

I get 40 more minutes in IGPU mode in battery, while in high performance mode, on windows power settings. I have noticed in Optimus mode the screen brightness can be much lower than in Discrete mode.

I wouldn't have came to the forums if I believed in ASUS support.

Respectfully,
Your friendly Fanboy Engineer.

Hi,

Do anyone knws if is possible enable xmp on gm501gs?

Thank you

hi does anyone know the EC model for this laptop or the registers that controls the fans

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Clintlgm wrote:

LOL Every few models Asus attempts to run CPU onboard graphics Optumios and dedicated graphics card it never seems to work out for them hope you solve your issues.

As mentioned at the FAQ below, the new and cool thing about the GM501GS and GM501GM models is that you can actually switch between dedicated graphics and Optimus now, so in a sense you can have the best of both worlds as long as you don't mind restarting the system to make the switch. Not sure if the vga performance would be quite as good as an equivalent unit without optimus though, but maybe close enough for most if the optimus feature is important.
https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1036709

madhacker3kxl wrote:

• On optimus mode the screen will randomly flicker. I am thinking it is a muxing issue between IGP and Nvidia. I had a the same issue with one of my old laptops and bios update fixed that issue. Is there any support place I can report this to?

As Clintlgm mentioned, this could be a driver issue, so if you are still trying to solve this and are able to, suggest installing or rolling back to the Intel vga and Nvidia driver versions posted on the ASUS download site at least for troubleshooting purposes to confirm if the flickering still appears or not.
I see Intel Graphics Driver V23.20.16.4973 and NVIDIA Graphic Driver V23.21.13.8904 posted currently, but if you still have the eSupport folder on your drive, they may be included there.
You can also refer to the FAQ below to find previously installed driver versions and install them without having to re-download them.
Hope it helps, but please let us know if it doesn't. Thanks.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035065

cl-Albert wrote:
As mentioned at the FAQ below, the new and cool thing about the GM501GS and GM501GM models is that you can actually switch between dedicated graphics and Optimus now, so in a sense you can have the best of both worlds as long as you don't mind restarting the system to make the switch. Not sure if the vga performance would be quite as good as an equivalent unit without optimus though, but maybe close enough for most if the optimus feature is important.
https://www.asus.com/US/support/FAQ/1036709

As Clintlgm mentioned, this could be a driver issue, so if you are still trying to solve this and are able to, suggest installing or rolling back to the Intel vga and Nvidia driver versions posted on the ASUS download site at least for troubleshooting purposes to confirm if the flickering still appears or not.
I see Intel Graphics Driver V23.20.16.4973 and NVIDIA Graphic Driver V23.21.13.8904 posted currently, but if you still have the eSupport folder on your drive, they may be included there.
You can also refer to the FAQ below to find previously installed driver versions and install them without having to re-download them.
Hope it helps, but please let us know if it doesn't. Thanks.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1035065

I have reverted to the original drivers, mix and match old and new drivers, none solved the issue. Updating the chipset driver did help a lot though. All my previous laptops have Optimus and I never had this issue. I am not too concerned about it as I can run it in Discrete mode but if I can solved it would be awesome.

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
madhacker3kxl wrote:
I have reverted to the original drivers, mix and match old and new drivers, none solved the issue. Updating the chipset driver did help a lot though. All my previous laptops have Optimus and I never had this issue. I am not too concerned about it as I can run it in Discrete mode but if I can solved it would be awesome.

Forgot to mention if you are running those ASUS download driver versions and still have problems, would expect we would hear complaints from other customers if there were any problems with those drivers which is one of the reasons we want customers to try them.

Since we don't seem to be hearing similar reports from other customers (I don't always hear that much on my end though), it makes me wonder if there could either be something different about your unit (in hardware or software), or there is actually something defective that repair can fix/replace.

The other possibility may be that you're doing something different to show the problem, so if you have any steps you want me to try with our GM501GS test unit, let me know how to catch the problem on your end and I'll try to duplicate it on our unit.

If you have an external monitor around, curious if the flickering also appears on it when it appears on your notebook screen, or if the flickering always occurs when there is an external monitor attached, if you can test it without an external monitor.

Thanks.

cl-Albert wrote:
Forgot to mention if you are running those ASUS download driver versions and still have problems, would expect we would hear complaints from other customers if there were any problems with those drivers which is one of the reasons we want customers to try them.

Since we don't seem to be hearing similar reports from other customers (I don't always hear that much on my end though), it makes me wonder if there could either be something different about your unit (in hardware or software), or there is actually something defective that repair can fix/replace.

The other possibility may be that you're doing something different to show the problem, so if you have any steps you want me to try with our GM501GS test unit, let me know how to catch the problem on your end and I'll try to duplicate it on our unit.

If you have an external monitor around, curious if the flickering also appears on it when it appears on your notebook screen, or if the flickering always occurs when there is an external monitor attached, if you can test it without an external monitor.

Thanks.

I connected to an external monitor through HDMI. The external monitor does not flicker at all but the laptop display still flickers.

I uninstalled the driver and restarted the computer. After boot up the device manager says "Microsoft Basic Adapter" instead of Intel HD 620. It does not flicker at this state at all. The moment I installed the Intel driver it started to flicker again. Also, the flickering happens in Linux.

I am thinking it maybe the screen itself or some sort of refresh issue. When i get a chance later this week, (currently traveling for work), I am going to create a custom resolution with lower refresh rate, e.g. 60p and see if the flickering happens.

Hello,

I have the same flickering problem with my zephyrus m. I tried everything but the problem still remains. Did you find a solution ?

Dan