cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zephyrus M15 - temperature very hot

cabadam
Level 7
I am having issues with the ROG Zephyrus M15 running extremely hot. The laptop up around the number row and higher is too hot to touch when gaming. Running HWMonitor for a while shows that the maximum CPU temps is hitting ~100C (sometimes a couple degrees higher). This is stock - no overclocking or anything like that. The fan is running, I can feel hot exhaust air blowing out the sides.

The laptop is sitting on a cooling pad with fans of its own (it isn't sitting on a soft surface blocking its airflow).

I reached out to Asus customer service who confirmed this is too hot, but after doing general things like "reset your bios", they indicated the laptop needed service. Instead of doing that, I was still within my return period from Best Buy, so I returned it for a refund and ordered a new (same model). Guess what? This one has the same thing. Asus support again indicates I should send it in for service... but, what are the odds of getting two defective laptops with the same problem? That makes me feel like it is something more fundamental - like the laptop design is just not capable of adequate cooling.

FWIW - the laptop doesn't seem to have stability problems despite the temperatures, but I'm concerned this will shorten its life.

Anyone else out there with the same laptop? How warm does yours run under load?
8 REPLIES 8

Jaroslaw_0
Level 8
It's an undamaged laptop. What's your room temperature? What is the maximum temperature on the GPU? Temperatures approaching 100 ° C are unusual in today's laptops. What is your profile set in Armory Crate? It should be TURBO when playing. I had the same problem after buying my GX701. I just took it apart and replaced the thermal grease myself. The temperature dropped from 98 °C to 88 °C. On the GPU it did not change and remained 79 °C at the maximum.

No laptop should ever go beyond the TJUNCTION max of the CPU which is 100C. If it went beyond that, that means that the laptop cooling is clearly defective. Also ASUS quality control is mediocre these months (many people are complaining about different products online) expect many defective models in a row.

fbajjar wrote:
No laptop should ever go beyond the TJUNCTION max of the CPU which is 100C. If it went beyond that, that means that the laptop cooling is clearly defective. Also ASUS quality control is mediocre these months (many people are complaining about different products online) expect many defective models in a row.

That was kind of my sense as well - that simply replacing this laptop with another one (a 3rd one) is unlikely to change anything. I'm waiting on another response from Technical Support, but I'm not expecting much at this point.

You have to do something about it. The absolute maximum allowable temperatures are:

For Your Intel CPU - 100 degrees
For Your NVIDIA GPU - 88 degrees

When the temperature is higher than 88 for the GPU, you can damage the graphics card.

Jaroslaw_0 wrote:
It's an undamaged laptop. What's your room temperature? What is the maximum temperature on the GPU? Temperatures approaching 100 ° C are unusual in today's laptops. What is your profile set in Armory Crate? It should be TURBO when playing. I had the same problem after buying my GX701. I just took it apart and replaced the thermal grease myself. The temperature dropped from 98 °C to 88 °C. On the GPU it did not change and remained 79 °C at the maximum.

Changing up the CPU grease is an interesting thought. I'm not as familiar with taking apart a laptop as a full desktop (typically I build PCs), and I'd rather not have to do it on a brand new laptop that is like a week old...

I've run it on both Performance and Turbo profiles, but haven't noticed any particular difference.

The GPU does seems to (slightly) cooler than the CPU - it maxed out at 91C.

Room temperature is 70-75F (21-24C).

Blake1
Level 10
Hello cabadam,
How's the device now?
If you have taken the device to service, please kindly PM me the SN or RMA number so I can review and track the case.
Thank you very much.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello cabadam,
How's the device now?
If you have taken the device to service, please kindly PM me the SN or RMA number so I can review and track the case.
Thank you very much.

Blake, sorry for not responding at the time. I didn't get a notification of your reply. I just happened to be thinking about this topic again so looked up post to verify the details.

Unfortunately - there was never resolution to this. After having two laptops with the same exact problem, I decided to simply return it for a refund to Best Buy.

I did not buy a replacement at the time, but have started looking around again (hence my renewed interest in this topic).

cabadam wrote:
Blake, sorry for not responding at the time. I didn't get a notification of your reply. I just happened to be thinking about this topic again so looked up post to verify the details.

Unfortunately - there was never resolution to this. After having two laptops with the same exact problem, I decided to simply return it for a refund to Best Buy.

I did not buy a replacement at the time, but have started looking around again (hence my renewed interest in this topic).

They all get 95ºC to 100ºC when stressed