Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zephyrus laptop very hot when lid is closed

Prophecy_
Level 8
Hi all!

New member here with a new ASUS laptop.

I did have one question though; I typically like to keep my laptop plugged in and on, I don't have it go to sleep when I close the lid for quick access.

However, when I shut the lid, the laptop gets extremely hot and temperatures shoot up after 5-10 min with the lid closed. Opening it cools it down very quickly.

Now, I'm assuming there is a vent above the keyboard? However, I don't feel any air coming out (although this is the area where it gets extra hot). All the air seems to come out of the sides.

Anyways, I know I'm blabbing, but is there a front vent on the these laptops so you can't close your lid while normal operations? I checked task manager and nothing is running the CPU when I close the lid. Is sleep mode when closing the lid mandatory (I almost seems like it does it already since it makes me sign in again when opening the lid).

This happens on any mode (even silent). Thanks.
5 REPLIES 5

Prophecy_
Level 8
So I just realized it gets extremely hot when the laptop goes idle, even if the lid is open, up to 70C. As soon as I unidle it the fans start roaring and it cools down back to 50C.

Any ideas?

I too have a brand new ASUS Gaming lap top, that I use with a 32" monitor. While using the laptop with the lid closed to view external monitor, my lap top gets very hot. There are vents on the keyboard side, which apparently are blocked when the lid is shut. I do not understand , why any laptop, let alone one made for gaming would be designed in this manne? I have written several times since my purcase in June, yet no answer that has been worth a HOOT.  And keeping the lid partially open while in use, simply messes up the view on the external monitor.   I am using a Chill Mat underneath whcih does not seem to help.  Any advice that works would be greatly apprecated.

Jeff

xeromist
You could check to see if you are in a silent or performance mode either in Windows or through ASUS tools. It could be trying to keep the fans silent which would allow temps to rise.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I was going to try to just format it, it's a brand new laptop.

I keep it on silent but why would just letting it idle make the temps start screaming upward? I'm going to test it with the screen on constantly and leave it idle and see what happens.

It seems to happen when the screen turns off and it logs me out of windows, each time I've had to sign back in when unidling.. Thats when the thing gets super hot.

xeromist
If the fans are off then it would get hot even if there's very little heat generation.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…