cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG Zephyrus G 15 - wifi card very slow - seeking help with replacement

kezug
Level 8
Currently, we are not able to get decent and consistent speeds on wifi. I have tried many things and just simply would like to replace the card with a better one.

The existing wifi card (AW-CB304NF). However, while I have built my own PC before, I am not very familiar with laptop internal components.

Can someone help me to understand what kind of card this is or TYPE or FORMAT or SIZE so I can research the proper replacement size?

Also, if anyone has a recommended replacement wifi card, that will help too.

Thank you
7 REPLIES 7

kezug
Level 8
Here is the existing wifi card.

xeromist
Compatibility is pretty good so you should be able to install whatever you want. I've had good luck with Intel WiFi adapters in the past.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Is this a good replacement? Will it work (it looks like it has the same connectors but the pins are slightly different for the mPCI slot.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-PCs-NGFF-Card-2-4GHz-Bluetooth-Wireless-AC/dp/B07FMKHKQY/ref=pd_ybh_...

Any recommendations on an even better replacement?

xeromist
The last time I bought one was years ago so you wouldn't want the specific one I got. But in general Intel wireless has a good reputation. As for compatibility, as long as the notches (keys) are the same then most m.2 devices are interchangeable. The keys are supposed to keep you from installing something incompatible. Sometimes length or thickness can be incompatible but those appear the same for the one you linked.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Thank you for taking the time to respond. I will report back on my install experience.

Thank you XeroMist for your help.

I purchased the WiFi 6 AX200 WiFi Adapter. For the install, I did the following:
1. Downloaded the BT and WiFi drives to my hard drive but did NOT install them
2. I powered down the laptop and removed the old card and installed the new card.
3. I started up the laptop, I saw the Network adapter in the Device Manager but it was not installed yet
4. I then just ran the downloaded executables from step 2
4a. First, I ran the WiFi executable. I then saw Device Manager update to show the WiFi card
4b. Second, I ran the Blue Tooth executable, I then saw Device Manager update to show the BT card.

After this, I did NOT see the internet connection happen. Perhaps I just needed to wait a bit more, but I rebooted, and then I saw the Internet wireless connection happen.

BT works too.

My speedtest BEFORE: 10 Mbps
My speedtest AFTER: 60 Mbps

xeromist
Great! Thanks for reporting your results.