cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G15 Rebooting instead of resuming from standby

roguegodparticl
Level 7
I have a new GA503QS that is rebooting sometimes when in standby instead of resuming.

I close the lid for standby, then a hour or more later open the lid to find the laptop booting up instead of resuming. This doesn't always happen, no BSOP or minidump, nothing terribly useful in the event viewer other than "last reboot was unplanned".

I've reset the system, installed the latest drivers, reset the BIOS, not sure what else to try.

Thank you
8 REPLIES 8

RedSector73
Level 12

Yes, definatly running 410

Not sure about that, how do I check?

RedSector73
Level 12
Download and install the package, the link was provided. If it installs/updates, you will need to reboot and then see if the problem still occurs.

I would also check to see if windows updates, wants anything after you have rebooted from the chipset driver install from AMD.

edit. And ... get the latest nvidia drivers using GEforce experience or their website.

Did both, installed the AMD chipset drivers you linked, also made sure I had the latest NVIDIA drivers (I already did), then closed the lid for a hour. When I opened the lid a hour later, the machine booted up as if it had been shut down. No minidump or BSOD message in event viewer, just unexpected shutdown.

What can we try next?

RedSector73
Level 12
Try running through power plan settings and see if everything is correct, just be aware the article is Intel system but still largely applicable
https://www.guidingtech.com/fix-windows-10-shuts-down-instead-sleep-hibernating/

Ok, ran through all of that, tried updating video drivers direct from AMD, tried disabling stupid goodix fingerprint reader from bios since it's driver is always crashing, tried disabling turning off HDs per that article. All with no affect.

One thing is that I have installed a secondary 2TB NVMe and I'm reading on some reddit threads that could be a issue?

RedSector73
Level 12
What drive and is there any firmware updates for it ?

You could remove it, temporarily and see the issue goes with it.

It's a Samsung EVO 960 Pro M.2 2TB. After your suggestion I did a little searching and indeed there were a couple of firmware updates for it over the last two years since I bought it. Reading some forum posts it looks like one even introduced a new issue and the latest resolved it. Can't find any release notes detailing what was fixed by the versions.

After much messing around I got it updated and had a whole night of blissful sleep with no reboots! It was confusing because it actually slept long enough for a change to go into hibernation. Lol.

Hopefully that fixed it, thank you so much!

I'll keep testing today running all the apps as before, but so far so good, it never made it all night before!

Thank you!