cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Performance issues when laptop is plugged in

Rogikel
Level 9

Hello, I have a Zephyrus G16 and a few weeks after I bought my laptop I first started seeing some issues while it's plugged in, and I'd like to know what I need to replace (either the charger itself or the laptop's charging port (I'm not exactly sure what it's called but I hope you understand))

Before I list the issues, I have to say that I use a 240W charger.

The first issue that I started seeing is screen flickering, usually happens anytime when I'm browsing or in another app. For some reason it always happened in the evening after a few hours of using the laptop.

This is also the time when MyAsus warned me about the charger being "incorrectly plugged in" or something like that. After this error, I completely replugged everything in my charger because I thought that maybe I did actually plug it in incorrectly, the issue seemed to fix itself right after I did this.

The second issue I encountered is some screen glitching at the bottom half of the laptop's screen, not the flickering type of glitching but the sort of glitching where the colors just distort themselves for a short amount of time. I managed to fix this after replugging my charger though, but it's sort of annoying that I have to do it everytime I encounter the glitching.

The third (and most important to me) issue is the performance of the laptop decreases when plugged in, mainly stuttering. To further justify the fact that it only happens when the laptop is plugged in, I did a test where I played the same game 2 times unplugged and plugged in, on the same refresh rate. When the laptop is plugged in, some minor visual stutters occur, or sometimes just big frame skips, but when I unplug the charger the stuttering seems to disappear completely, I'm not sure if it's good to play a game without having the laptop plugged in though, as the battery would just rapidly decrease and I'll have to charge it thrice a day.

Is this a charger issue or the laptop's hardware issue? Please let me know, I can provide more information as long as it's needed, thank you in advance! It's not an extremely important issue to be fixed for me but of course I'd prefer if there was an answer 😅

1 REPLY 1

C-V-N
Level 12

If this is a new laptop return it to the store and get another one.