cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Official reply from ASUS Re: ROG M15 heating up

alamo2020__AG
Level 7
I have a very fair understanding of computers being 74 and having never really kept up with it all. Up to a year ago all I knew was turn on and off and write an email or two.
So long story short I got into gaming which I love. I have to have small real estate [15"] because of handicapped hands and I went ahead buying an ASUS M15 15.6" as I likes the specs, the size of the screen and I can use it with a mechanical keyboard also.
I have been hitting 94C with AAA games. I don't care much for "competition games" but I have used them as my way of overclocking the system.
Very concerned, ASUS and I and many other Forums we go back and forth as I also notice MANY other cases as such besides mine.
Finally, as the word expresses a "final" email from ASUS [very nice and surprising!] followed by a phone call [yes!] as [karma!] I am pulling in Best Buy to have a final check by the Geek Squad. Also wonderful people. As a side note, treat people with kindness and they will also treat you as such...
The final word is:
"Just to reiterate, the device is a gaming notebook and it is designed to handle excessive amount of heat. The life of the PC will not be affected. If the PC does not throttle [which it has never], the high temperatures are normal"
Okay... that was quote and I will close this subject!!! BUT... will file this email for future reference just in case.
I thought this would help others as also as a side note I am not willing to underclock or undervolt. After all, we pay for the performance, right?
It would be like buying a performance car and having to take it in to have the engine downgraded!!! My 520hp Shaker Scat Pack Challenger sure would not like that!!!
Stay well.

6 REPLIES 6

fbajjar
Level 8
Just stay away from the Zephyrus models, my 2700$ pile of garbage thermal throttles in two days of usage to 3.2Ghz after three trips to the service center and the keyboard's RGB is mediocre too for the price (second keyboard replacement, still horrible uneven lighting on the blue LEDs and the thing can't even get an acceptable white color...something the competition nailed ages ago) Not to mention the many quality control issues (mine had faulty speakers out of the box, awesome) that plague these models since forever (read the amazon reviews for an example) This is definitely my first and last ASUS product.

Hello fbajjar,
Please kindly open another thread in Service-related Inquiry and provide your SN or RMA number so that I can better locate your case.
Thank you very much.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello fbajjar,
Please kindly open another thread in Service-related Inquiry and provide your SN or RMA number so that I can better locate your case.
Thank you very much.

I have sent the machine three times for repair and stayed without the laptop for months and same thing happens over and over again. I have sent you my SN in a private DM. The thermal paste you are using on your laptops is obviously defective, what kind of thermal paste goes from normal 80C on Cinebench R20 for an example to 95C+ and heavy thermal throttling to 3.3Ghz? It is embarrassing this happens on a CPU-only test. Even the furmark utility you use in your service centers for tests which used to run awesomely is causing serious thermal throttling too. Mind you they changed the mainboard, the fans and the thermal solution too. What is next to change and leave me without a laptop for weeks again? I bought this for work too how can I trust this unreliable machine to work well when it can't even keep its temperatures under control?
Yeah i'm convinced now. I have made the stupidest decision and that is getting an ASUS product, I have even recommended this machine to two of my friends who also are suffering now from the same issue. Thank you at least you are honest about how bad your products quality control is and how lackluster the support for them is.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello alamo2020,
Thank you so much for your sharing.
Judging by the description, as long as the device does not exceed 95 when gaming, it is fine.
If there is any further concern, let me know anytime.
Thank you.

Blake@ROG wrote:
Hello alamo2020,
Thank you so much for your sharing.
Judging by the description, as long as the device does not exceed 95 when gaming, it is fine.
If there is any further concern, let me know anytime.
Thank you.

Blake I have a M15 (i7 1660Ti). It is throttling. I ran Unigine haven benchmark tool just after starting it up and got a 3100 with 130FPS Avg. After it ended the temps had reached 90/90 and i ran it again. In the second run i got a score of 2300 and an FPS of 90. Which clearly shows that my system is thermally throttling. I need help and an approach to see this forward. My product was bought from Amazon.in (Im from Mumbai, India) and is under the warranty.

I have tried undervolting also, but this is a consumer product and should be perfectly usable at the default Turbo mode in Armoury crate. I need help with rectifying/replacing the product.

PilotAkshay wrote:
Blake I have a M15 (i7 1660Ti). It is throttling. I ran Unigine haven benchmark tool just after starting it up and got a 3100 with 130FPS Avg. After it ended the temps had reached 90/90 and i ran it again. In the second run i got a score of 2300 and an FPS of 90. Which clearly shows that my system is thermally throttling. I need help and an approach to see this forward. My product was bought from Amazon.in (Im from Mumbai, India) and is under the warranty.

I have tried undervolting also, but this is a consumer product and should be perfectly usable at the default Turbo mode in Armoury crate. I need help with rectifying/replacing the product.

I have a GU502GV which throttles all the time.

I've worked out that the Armoury Crate fan profiles are useless for gaming as the fans never reach 100%. I made a thread here that was ignored.

I know this is true as forcing the fan to only run 100% in the MANUAL mode brings faster RPMs than the other profiles ever reach. It also means I need to have the fans on 100% when gaming which makes the laptop extremely loud. If I could build my own fan curves I could easily fix this but that isn't an option. I can't wait for Razer to bring an RTX 40 series machine out as that's my upgrade milestone.

Easily solvable issue that they don't do therefore never buying ASUS again.