cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G501 (for those who were waiting for the GX500)

X-ROG
Level 15
235 REPLIES 235

esfomeado
Level 7
My spec supposition:
Intel® Core™ i7-4720HQ
Nvidia GeForce GTX 960M

I really like option to buy with FHD instead of UHD and I'm looking forward to see if this is really true:
"It’s now the coolest and quietest thin and light gaming notebook on the market!"

BigDRim
Level 7
Or a 965m? I thought it was released but i haven't seen any laptop with it yet.

BigDRim wrote:
Or a 965m? I thought it was released but i haven't seen any laptop with it yet.

The 965M is better than the 960M, right?

Metalogic wrote:
The 965M is better than the 960M, right?

We don't know as 960m is not out. But according the name, it should be.

NitroX
Level 10
I'm quite curious about how this small gaming laptop will perform. I don't want to ruin the image of it but considering that ASUS made such a bad job with the cooling on the G751 which is a freaking monster compared to this I do wonder how could they be serious about this thin laptop actually put up with hardware like the i7-4710 or even i7-4720 which will build even more heat.

I don't quite believe this whole marketing thing because they did the same thing with the G751&G551 and look at them now. " This upgraded design delivers exceptional thermal efficiency to ensure system stability, keeping CPU and GPU temperatures low even under overclocking conditions." they said.. Yeah I could see that. It went to 90C in mid winter at 20C in the room with no OC -_-... (source: http://www.asus.com/News/jZ3tJOGRCTO4bdCS)

So, if ASUS would really be able to make this tiny gaming laptop be cooler than the G751 then there is something very wrong with their engineering team. I like the whole idead of a small form factor gaming laptop, but look at MSI/Gigabyte/Schenker, they all have lightweight gaming laptops which have problems with high temps. I don't really have such high hopes from ASUS to break the ice with a much cooler lightweight gaming laptop.

Sorry for my pessimism Marshall but I think you know even better how these things with product image works. Especially before they release a new product.

sk3tch
Level 7
The G751 cooling system is incredible. 90C is well within the thermal limits of the processor - and all heat is exhausted out of the back and there are no thermal issues from the bottom - I.E. you can actually put this laptop on your lap during intense gaming/etc.

Name another laptop with similar specs that is better designed cooling-wise?
4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com

NitroX
Level 10
It's not that incredible. Not for the CPU which was supposed to be more power efficient than Ivy bridge thus also meaning lower temps. I'm not having any issues with the GPU though. The damn cooling is so good that it only reaches 80C when OC'ed at +135Mhz and 5700Mhz Memory. I dunno, maybe it's because I was used to see maximum temps of 80C on my older G75VW. I was not expecting the CPU to run hotter on this machine considering that the CPU should have been more power efficient and it only has 200Mhz boost difference compared to the i7-3610QM.
And this is not like a personal problem. There are people with lower temps and people with higher temps for the exact same models. Some actually have throttle issues with it. Now, that doesn't sound like an incredible cooling to me. I'm currently running games on an Undervolted CPU and with lower clocks (3000Mhz for 4x cores) just to keep the temps at a 75-80 average. I'm just thinking on long term conditions, when summer will come and also the dust will build up.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see what happens. As someone already said here on the forums: fk it, let it burn! We have the warranty for that :).

I'm sorry for the off-topic Marshall! Seriously looking forward to see this new gaming laptop, although I don't have too big expectations from it.

NitroX wrote:
It's not that incredible. Not for the CPU which was supposed to be more power efficient than Ivy bridge thus also meaning lower temps. I'm not having any issues with the GPU though. The damn cooling is so good that it only reaches 80C when OC'ed at +135Mhz and 5700Mhz Memory. I dunno, maybe it's because I was used to see maximum temps of 80C on my older G75VW. I was not expecting the CPU to run hotter on this machine considering that the CPU should have been more power efficient and it only has 200Mhz boost difference compared to the i7-3610QM.
And this is not like a personal problem. There are people with lower temps and people with higher temps for the exact same models. Some actually have throttle issues with it. Now, that doesn't sound like an incredible cooling to me. I'm currently running games on an Undervolted CPU and with lower clocks (3000Mhz for 4x cores) just to keep the temps at a 75-80 average. I'm just thinking on long term conditions, when summer will come and also the dust will build up.

Oh well, I'll just have to wait and see what happens. As someone already said here on the forums: fk it, let it burn! We have the warranty for that :).

I'm sorry for the off-topic Marshall! Seriously looking forward to see this new gaming laptop, although I don't have too big expectations from it.

That's all summed up with one thing: Haswell.

You called out ASUS' engineering as a reason for skepticism for this laptop - so it's on-topic. ASUS' engineering isn't at fault - as the system works extremely well. Haswell is just a very hot CPU. Try undervolting your CPU by -50 mV (Dynamic CPU Voltage Offset) if you're so worried about the temps that you're seeing that are well within TJMax.
4710HQ, 980M // 5930K, 980 SC SLI // 4930K, 980 SC // 4770K, 290X Lightning // 1pcent.com

Metalogic
Level 7
MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
News here: http://rog.asus.com/399392015/g-series-gaming-laptops/g501-the-coolest-quietest-thin-light-15-inch-g...

Oh my, that's gorgeous!

Just hope it's done right - Decent screen, no serious cooling issues and a good GPU (not a 980m, but a 970m perhaps, or at least a 965m)

@Marshal - will this be available to buy in the United Kingdom on release?

Metalogic wrote:
Oh my, that's gorgeous!

Just hope it's done right - Decent screen, no serious cooling issues and a good GPU (not a 980m, but a 970m perhaps, or at least a 965m)

@Marshal - will this be available to buy in the United Kingdom on release?

Should be available in UK. Not sure date though sorry.

vishnunuk wrote:
There Was no good competitor to RMBP Till Now. Hop this will Crush RMBP. PCIE SSD + GTX 970 or 980 + i7 + UHD+ + Tin& Light Profile. !! This is RMBP Killer!

BUT PLEASE ADD an Option to Change The lighting (Keyboard back light, Track pad etc.) TO Blue, White, Orange etc. (Multiple color option to choose.) Otherwise it will be Deal Breaker for Designers and Professionals

Red only sorry.