cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New G501 (for those who were waiting for the GX500)

X-ROG
Level 15
235 REPLIES 235

infinite
Level 7
Marshall will the g501 or ux501 have the quantum dot screens?

Bozzified
Level 7
One fixed PCI-E storage of 512gb?

Who in the hell is going to buy this? Some of your choices are beyond puzzling.. Gigabyte and MSI can make super slim laptops with 4K screens with multiple storage options can ASUS can't (I won't even note the new upcoming AORUS X5 with SLI graphics that looks slimmer and slicker than G501)? Jesus.

You keep making these mammoth ROG laptops or you make a super slick looking laptop and then do something stupid like limiting the storage options.

And please STOP USING OPTIMUS technology or make laptops where we can use discrete graphics ONLY if we choose to. It sucks, the Intel integrated GPU sucks and on top of that we can't even run other operating systems on the laptops because of crap Optimus. In addition it doesn't provide that much of a battery improvement to begin with.

It's just weird the choices you make.

dlinfiniti
Level 7
Marshall, could you give us a rundown on the different configurations and their designations?
Seems like G501JW-DS71 is the standard model with 16gb ram, larger battery and just 512gb pciex4
What about the other models and their designations? Also, which models do or don't come with the thunderbolt port?

dlinfiniti wrote:
Marshall, could you give us a rundown on the different configurations and their designations?
Seems like G501JW-DS71 is the standard model with 16gb ram, larger battery and just 512gb pciex4
What about the other models and their designations? Also, which models do or don't come with the thunderbolt port?

that would be helpful

infinite
Level 7
will this actually be released?

Sorry for late replies all:

infinite wrote:
will this actually be released?

Already at OCUK https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-209-AS&groupid=959&catid=1828

infinite wrote:
Marshall will the g501 or ux501 have the quantum dot screens?

I don't think it is included sorry.

dlinfiniti wrote:

I know this would be SUPER helpful, and we're slowly trying to change this but for all our generations to date we've never been able to collect this information sorry. The suffix's are all created by the individual stores/regions according to their desired specification. The only way to see is browse the product pages on each store.

Corvid wrote:
To MarshallR@Asus -- I'm not sure if this was answered already but:

When do you expect the G501s to ship with the new 5th generation Broadwell processors? I know intel is still dragging its feet with releasing the quadcore version of these processors. Or will Asus skip this all together and just wait to refresh with Skylake (whenever that will happen, I'm guessing sometime in 2016 with Intels slow track records...)

Thank you!

No, I don't. For mobile Broadwell is currently only available as low-voltage dual core, not high performance. It's only suitable for performance:value products like GR6. Next generation will focus on Skylake much later this year, so G501 will be current product for a while.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Sorry for late replies all:
Already at OCUK https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=LT-209-AS&groupid=959&catid=1828

That looks like a pre-order. same with XoticPC in USA with no release date though.

Hopefully it won't take too long... but then again I was waiting for the NX500 and GX500 so this seems normal haha.

X-ROG
Level 15
Great review! The G501 with only M.2 drive no HDD will have extra battery to last longer as well.
We've noted the backlight PWM concern raised in the review and I've sent the info to our engineers to look at. I suspect it's not atypical of notebooks though given the backlight consumes a lot of power.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
Great review! The G501 with only M.2 drive no HDD will have extra battery to last longer as well.

Marshall, will there be an option to use the GPU as discrete graphics and turn off IGP? I'm really hoping you are allowing an option to turn off IGP and not funnel the discrete graphics through IGP to the display. I am not a gamer but I've been buying ASUS products because I wanted powerful mobile workstations but with this muxless implementations of Optimus it becomes a nightmare to work with multiple OSs.

For those who don't have a priority on battery life it would be very nice to simply have an option to use the GPU to it's full potential. Lenovo made it happen with their previous models making them mux-ed and not muxless and a serious gaming laptop should have this option.

Can you let us all know whether or not whether that's an option?

Second question is related to this review.. the model this review is showing seems to have a spot for a 2.5" drive. Will this variant be available for purchase?