This is my first post and I'm searching for people with knowledge and experience in solving issues with this kind of laptop.
My background experience is in computer engineering, had a lot of weird situations which I was able to solve and fix, however this one is really interesting and that is why I need second opinion.
Gonna keep it in chronological order:
1. Battery started having issues showing 250% of charge, then out of charge, acting strangely.
2. After some time display started to sometimes turn on partially, sometimes fully, and sometimes blank (dark).
3. Next display started completely turning blank (dark), in first millisecond you can see that RoG logo and then it's dark. It's important to note that connecting external displays (I have 2 of those for each port) works just fine. Playing my fav CS:GO without any issues.
4. Updated nVidia drivers, updated Armoury Crate and tried again, still same behavior.
5. Decided to buy new battery, display cable (eDP) which connects motherboard with the display and new display. (240Hz, 3ms, FHD)
6. Swapped new battery and eDP cable, started laptop got dark display again. (I hear the sounds and system is booting)
7. Started in "Safe mode" and since then I can't get display to external monitors either. (probably drivers are not loading for external displays) Also I'm not getting any sound anymore, not even RoG logo animation sound, nor the system is booting only dark screen.
8. Next move I made is replace new display (with new eDP cable connected) and got nothing.
9. Then disconnected new battery and tried old display with new eDP cable still the same.
10. Afterwards attached old eDP cable and tried both new and old displays but with no luck, same issue.
NOTE: Had detached BIOS battery couple of times in order to reset it. Need to check voltage of it. Also I only have nVidia drivers on it, Intel drivers were not installed because of "Optimus" messing up the experience. Could that be an issue?
So, this is my story... Lost time, decent amount of money, energy and still was unable to solve the issue.
That is why I'm pleading for help because I want to use this laptop, and buying a newer one is not an option.
|Asus ROG Zephyrus S GX502GW|
|Screen||15.6 inch, 1920 x 1080 px resolution, IPS, 240 HZ, matte|
|Processor||Intel Coffee Lake-R Core i7-9750H, six-core|
|Video||Intel UHD 630 and Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 8GB 115W|
|Memory||16 GB DDR4 2666 MHz (16 GB soldered, 1x DIMMs)|
|Storage||512 GB SSD (M.2 80 mm PCIe x2 – Intel 660p SSDPEKNW512G8) + 1 extra M.2 80 mm slot|
|Connectivity||Intel 9560 AC 2×2 WiFi with Bluetooth 5.0, Realtek RTL8168/8111 Gigabit LAN|
|Ports||3x USB-A 3.1, 1x USB-C gen 2 with DP and charging, HDMI 2.0b, LAN, headphone/mic, Kensington Lock|
|Battery||76 Wh, 230 W power adapter, 65W USB-C adapter included in some regions|
|Size||360 mm or 14.17” (w) x 252 mm or 9.92” (d) x 18.9 mm or .74” (h)|
|Weight||2.04 kg (4.45 lb), .80 kg (1.76 lbs) power brick and cables, EU version|
|Extras||RGB backlit keyboard with per-key control, 2x bottom stereo speakers, FHD external webcam|
Try connecting an external monitor through the HDMI port, which generally connects directly to the Nvidia GPU. If that display still has issues, it sounds like there is an issue with your motherboard or Nvidia GPU. If that works, then you probably need to install the Intel GPU drivers.
Edit: I read your post wrong, you definitely need to install the Intel GPU drivers. Optimus runs the operating system off the iGPU, so if you don't install the drivers, your CPU will be used to render the display (except in apps where the Nvidia GPU is being used), which causes tons of issues.
Hey, thanks for the reply!
I was able to use external monitors through both HDMI and Display Port, but then I went to "safe mode" in order to see if it's going to solve the issue with the display. Intent was to load only basic drivers necessary for the system to work in hope of solving the issue.
Because it's in constant "safe mode" I can't get picture on external monitors anymore.
Regarding nVidia GPU: it's not faulty because until I went to "safe mode" I was playing CS:GO on external monitor for hours.
First I need to exit the "safe mode" somehow in order to be able to use external monitors, then next step is to install Intel drivers and all other which are missing and see if that solves the issue. (will use old display and new eDP cable just to make sure, because I was getting picture on my old display)
Try seeing if any of these allow the advanced startup options to display (which I believe allows you to turn off safe mode): 9 Ways to Access Advanced Startup/Boot Options Windows 10 - MiniTool. You can probably use the internal display to do this since I don't think the GPU driver would be loaded by that time. If not, I really have no idea what you can do other than doing a clean install.