cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Future Notebook Feature Suggestions Here!

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS ROG is requesting our best suggestions for ROG product improvements. As a moderator I won’t have the ability to implement your suggestions but I will be picking some of the best to highlight for the ROG team so they know what matters to us, the community.

Some guidelines for this thread:
1) Keep it positive and constructive. In most of the forum I try to allow you all to express your thoughts freely (within reason). This thread has the express purpose of generating constructive suggestions so I will be moderating this thread and deleting posts that do not contribute to that goal.
2) Keep it concise and on topic. Some minor discussion regarding a specific suggestion is welcome but if you would like to have a longer conversation I ask you start an additional thread and link it in your post here. You can also request a moderator move your posts if you have need.
3) Try for realistic ideas that appeal broadly to gamers. A small improvement on an existing ROG product is much more likely to get chosen than an entirely new product that only matters to a small number of people.
4) Support your favorites! You don’t have to come up with a suggestion to help. If you see something you like, quote it and say so! More support for an idea improves its chances.

EDIT:
I’ve updated the titles for these feedback threads to reflect that this is primarily for *future* products. Sorry for the lack of clarity. While there is a chance some ideas could be implemented via software updates it’s most likely any suggestions would be rolled into new products.
Also, these threads are not for issue reporting and such posts won’t reach the right people. Please post issues in the ROG Care > Hardware & Software Support section. Or contact ASUS support via phone or email for immediate assistance.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
42 REPLIES 42

Ragnaraz690
Level 11

CPUs need better management in all machines.

The machine should know what it needs to use or learn from what it can get away with much like Nvids GPU drivers. If you set targets it will do what it can to hit them using as little power as possible. I made a post in the TUF notebook thread about this. Not sure if I have mentioned it here before but I will do so again.

Basically, there needs to be a better Balanced mode, like what the Legion laptops have. You can set the GPU OC if you wish but generally it will only use the power it needs to get the job done on both CPU and GPU sides of things. I have found with boost enabled even with FPS limits set, on the same games and settings, boost will amp the temps up by 20c. Purely because it will use the full power allocation and 4.7ghz (FA507RR) to do anything that may require more than 15w to do. As a guy who uses manual mode so I can set better fan curves as I am more concern about keeping my device cool than I am it making noise, it will just boost relentlessly unless I turn it off. I would expect that with an uncapped framerate, but at a locked 70fps? Seeing a 20c jump in temps for no performance gain is just mental. If you used Conductonaut extreme on all your gaming machines maybe it would lower that a little. But seriously if you don't want to reign in the boost logic, you need to up the cooling. So far I have had no reason to allow boost to run, all it does is skyrocket temps.

Maybe as well as that, you could add more options in the Manual mode in AC. Possible undervolting of both chips and a frequency limit on the CPU too. so even if I allow boost and the cooling is better, I could allow the CPU to 4ghz, which is more than 3.2ghz. I would still appreciate the CPU to only use what it needs to get the job done though. Honestly, I hate all the pushing for AI crap in everything, but if thats what it takes for the machine to have some self control here, then please implement it.

TechyonZA
Level 9

I purchased a Zephyrus Duo 16 - it is a well thought out design & overall is a highly productive machine capable of both business and gaming. Its performance is formidable for such a thin laptop and most people who see it can't believe its specifications.  Asus have provided an array of support tools to configure, maintain & support the system which is very good.

What I have noticed however is that drivers are not updated for it on a regular basis on the Asus Support Website - more regular updates would be major improvement in my opinion & most likely would increase repeat purchases of this type of product. Due to the drivers being out of date they do not always support all features of new games as would be expected from a high-end machine.

Unfortunately the latest industry drivers (e.g. Nvidia) do not work properly on this machine based on my own testing, as it seems they do not have the capability to manage the power optimally - the end result is a poor gaming experience, even though they are the latest as provided by the manufacturer which support all the latest features.

QQ02
Level 11

I will definitely second what Techyon said about drivers. Keeping your devices compatible with industry drivers goes a long way towards keeping your power users happy. Given how many ASUS laptops are aimed at power users, ASUS really should be keeping drivers up to date. Adjacent to that point I must say:

Please, in the future when ASUS sells devices with multiple SSDs in it, please do not enable RAID 0 on the system drive. It is an absolute pain to get rid of. Especially on devices you advertise for their upgradeability, not being able to switch out one SSD but keep the other is a surprise nobody should have to get. I also benchmarked the SSD speeds and sure, sequential reads and writes are about 1.4-1.6 times better in RAID 0, random reads and writes are 1.3-1.5 times worse. In some benchmarks, the penalty is almost twofold, but that may be an edge case. Getting half the advertised performance of a drive is still a little unpleasant. Regardless, that choice could be left for the customer, especially since you can set up RAID in Windows as well. Remember, ASUS does not provide AMD RAID drivers for Linux for most if not all laptops. Intel-assisted RAID is not a better alternative.

Reinstalling Windows after removing RAID takes a bit of tinkering, partially because MediaTek WiFi cards are not automatically supported by Windows (or Linux) and require separate driver installation. In that regard, it is a suggestion to MediaTek to get their devices supported by Windows, otherwise a suggestion for ASUS to avoid hardware partners who are not capable of keeping their devices properly supported.

Ragnaraz690
Level 11

Not sure if I have mentioned it in here, but the latest A16 reviews showing thermal throttling under load is pretty sad, so I'll say it again.

All of your gaming laptops deserve better cooling. You have the development and production processes in place already. Do not turn fans down because muppets cry it gets loud, because now the max speed isn't enough to control the heat properly.

Also, even if it is only standard Conductonaut. I believe all gaming laptops should have the best possible cooling available. Considering that there is no real OC potential in your laptops because you don't allow it on the CPU and gimp GPU cause "miners". Thermal headroom is not waste potential, it's just laziness. Your machines TUF machines would fair much better with proper cooling solutions instead of budget TIMs. 

DO you not think, using liquid metal on the CPU and either that or PTM7950 on the GPU and some Upsiren UX pro ultra on the VRAM and VRMs wouldn't actually make the machine quieter anyway? Less heat... less noise. Instead you appear to have opted for same TIMs less fan speed. Stop making sub par products. 

pwyller
Level 7

Super simple, stop hardwiring DDR memory.

WestleyStoot
Level 7

ROG Zephyrus Duo

(1) Remove track pad and make keyboard full size. Centre it. Include Print Screen Key. Provide external trackpad hardware - make it clever (not just a mouse). Be brave. No one uses the trackpad and it is useless anyway for left handed people.

(2) Add LEDs to properly light the motherboard where it shows through under the perspex

(3) Work out how to have both USB power and Brick power at the back

(4) Increase the length of wire on the main power brick - it is far too short and no one wants this sitting on a desk. It need to be long enough so the brick can be hidden under a desk.

(5) Add a proper wrist rest like that on the standard non-Rog Duo. The rubber wrist rest is awful. 

(6) Add a simpler way to get per-key RGB

(7) The lid is very elegant. Keep it like this. However, if you can work out how to add some VERY minimal lighting on the logo - (VERY SMALL) to keep the prestige, it would be nice.

(8) Provide it with, or make, a dedicated stand to raise the device and improve ergonomics (to bring the screen closer and counter balance the issue of the keyboard being to near the front. 

Thank you

Best wishes

J. 

As a Zephyrus Duo user, I like some of these ideas, but will give feedback with additional ideas.

1) I like having a trackpad (and NUMPAD!!!). The trackpad can be gotten rid of if there was an extra button to make the ScreenPad work as a trackpad (currently switchable exclusively from software; must be Linux-compatible), but the NumPad has to stay there (as "full size" was mentioned, I assume there is agreement). There would be room for at least 3+1 extra keys though. I do, however, still appreciate the current solution that is mostly thumb-oriented.

4) Yes. The cable from the brick to the computer is hilariously short.

5/8) Most non-laptop keyboards have short or non-existent wrist rests, I have found myself not needing a wrist rest on the lap or on a desk. For ergonomics, the rear feet are already way thicker than they need to be (airflow under the laptop is minimal) and that is the thickest point of the entire device. I would not like more thickness, the thin look works well for the device. Also remember, the laptop already comes with a dedicated riser in the box (the foldable cardboard with magnets), though that has a tendency to slip on many desks. If that thing was a little prettier or less slippy, I'd be happy.

QQ02
Level 11

Test Linux compatibility of new devices before shipping. While Linux is not a super popular option, the market share is growing (largely thanks to Windows 11) and people appreciate having a choice of software to run on the bought hardware. Even for software development it is often convenient to have a Windows main system and Linux as a dual-boot for specific purposes (WSL is good, but not that good). ASUS makes some nifty tech, please keep it usable.

dedomena
Level 8

I love Asus kit; almost every Asus product I've ever purchased was pretty well thought out and ran great (and most still run great), especially zephyrus and zenbook lines... I arguably have purchased way too many.

If I were to distill all my thoughts all Asus laptop related topics, one thoughts remains:

Find and replace Armory Crate, everywhere it exists, with G-Helper from github.

Oh, and what QQ02 said -- linux compatibility.  Hugely important for me -- I have had to buy non Asus machines to fill that role in my inventory of late.

Yeshyyyk
Level 7

I would really like to see a Surface Book esque device from Asus, since they pretty much have the "pieces" - X13 + Z13 i.e. a tablet with a "keyboard dock". You would be able to get double the already good battery, easily push higher power limits on the CPU/GPU (since it wouldn't be combined), and have double the ports/drives and/or have full size ones. (It would also be double the price though lol, well maybe $3k would be reasonable given M$ prices).

Here is a screenshot suggesting the same thing from LTT's shortcircuit video almost 2 years ago 

screenshot ltt shortcircuit flow video.png