cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Future Notebook Feature Suggestions Here!

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS ROG is requesting our best suggestions for ROG product improvements. As a moderator I won’t have the ability to implement your suggestions but I will be picking some of the best to highlight for the ROG team so they know what matters to us, the community.

Some guidelines for this thread:
1) Keep it positive and constructive. In most of the forum I try to allow you all to express your thoughts freely (within reason). This thread has the express purpose of generating constructive suggestions so I will be moderating this thread and deleting posts that do not contribute to that goal.
2) Keep it concise and on topic. Some minor discussion regarding a specific suggestion is welcome but if you would like to have a longer conversation I ask you start an additional thread and link it in your post here. You can also request a moderator move your posts if you have need.
3) Try for realistic ideas that appeal broadly to gamers. A small improvement on an existing ROG product is much more likely to get chosen than an entirely new product that only matters to a small number of people.
4) Support your favorites! You don’t have to come up with a suggestion to help. If you see something you like, quote it and say so! More support for an idea improves its chances.

EDIT:
I’ve updated the titles for these feedback threads to reflect that this is primarily for *future* products. Sorry for the lack of clarity. While there is a chance some ideas could be implemented via software updates it’s most likely any suggestions would be rolled into new products.
Also, these threads are not for issue reporting and such posts won’t reach the right people. Please post issues in the ROG Care > Hardware & Software Support section. Or contact ASUS support via phone or email for immediate assistance.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
42 REPLIES 42

First I would like to state this is an amazing laptop. The power and features packed into such a small chassis is an incredible feat of engineering. Kudos to the Asus team! I purchased this laptop as a lightweight and portable workstation for development, running containers, RAW photo processing, etc. with occasional light gaming.

1. Please Please enable S3 sleep mode - Hibernate is not a good solution as it not that fast and it can wear down SSD (especially with 40GB RAM!!!). Currently with sleep the USB stays powered and the laptop cooling pad's fans run 24x7 (unless I manually plug in/out the USB each time which is not practical)

2. Fix bug in Armoury Crate software where upon unplugging of power it keeps reminding to kill programs on discrete GPU. This is in spite of unchecking the option to remind.

3. Fix the issue where USB-C video output (using USB-C to USB-C monitor connection is not happening on the left side port).

4. Bring on the promised USB-4 compatibility 🙂

5. Update your website to specify that this laptop can support up to 32GB SODIMMS. This will help avoid confusion as many people have this question.
More details: I've upgraded this laptop to 40GB and it runs perfectly and very fast. I used Crucial DDR5 CL40 1.1V 32GB memory stick. Carried out some memory intensive testing including Prime95 and no issues. HWInfo shows that after upgrade, the memory is still quad channel. With some testing, I've inferred that once you cross the 16 GB of true Quad channel the rest of the memory access is only about 10% slower (in dual channel mode) than pure quad channel.

Hello, I just posted to say that I am very interested in the Flow Z13, it is exactly what I want for a portable device. However, the battery life with Intel CPU makes me feel like it is absolutely unsuitable for outdoor activities, it is really unfortunate that I have to pick an alternative with longer battery life. Seeing how the 2022 edition of Flow X13 with Ryzen 6900 has absolutely fantastic battery life, I'm wondering if there is a possibility of a future Flow Z13 with a ZEN 3 CPU.

BIOS options like we find on Desktops. Especially for memory timmings

Have it been ever considered battery of notebook to be in lid (behind display). If lid become more thick it could be adding more features to it - like better cam, card slot, some front speakers. Then body could be used for a better cooling - for example fans to be moved under palm rest so they can be bigger (and probably with higher airflow)

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
A/F TUF series (and likely others)

Curve optimiser being enabled, some chips like the 5900hx have recently been exploited to allow an unofficial offset and the results are amazing, lower temps better performance. Much like on the desktop models of Ryzen. Makes for an all around better machine.

XMP support. Even if chipsets can only use certain frequencies without OCing or adding voltage, a lot of higher binned kits can have their timings tightened up a lot at the same voltages. There are also many failsafe software programmes which can roll things back to stable settings too. You have these things on your desktop motherboards. Basically if we spend money on a good ram kit, we should be able to have the system optimise itself properly for maximum stable performance in a given envelope.

Same goes with infinity fabric and other settings. It doesn't have to be an out and out overclock. If silicon lottery is nice enough to let to drop .50v and keep system stability, that's awesome, why not let people have that free performance. Its better for heat and longevity too.

Make the chassis breathable! They're terribly restrictive in airflow that even cooler trays can't always help, the more they can breathe the better, even more so when outside airflow is introduced. I wrote several less than complimentary reviews/feedback on the 2021 A15 and documented the monumental changes in temps through stages of opening up more vents in key areas. Some aided the fans getting cool air easier to do their job, others allowed my custom cooler to feed the fans and push air through the rest of the chassis to drop board temps all over.

EDIT: Also stop cheaping out on the cooling assembly, have the plates for the VRMs and VRAM made of copper too. Not every laptop can have Vapour chambers, fair enough, but you should make the cooling as efficient as possible.

EDIT 2: I'm reading in a lot of places underload and gaming the new A15 still thermal throttles in stock form. I mean if the cooling assembly can barely tame a 6600H and 3060, i imagine it will struggle more with a 6800H and 3070. Maybe the top end TUF models like this should be graced with vapour chambers too. With an asking price of £1700 for the FA507RR, I think you could stretch a little more.

romix
Level 7
I am writing from the position of a person who bought a Duo 16 laptop (rx650 3080ti)
I would like to see a richer package: a case in which you can put a laptop for carrying. You have for example cases for the G14, so why not make cases (which MUST come with a premium device! Or did we pay not enough for devices like my laptop?). I would also like to see a closely QA. This applies to both bios and drivers.

I also agree with the guys who wrote about the presence of Undervolting feature (just warn users about possible crashes of programs. Those who know what it is - will use it, and those who do not know will skip it) .
In Armory Create, it would be great if the function "do not change the brightness of the screen when switching to other types of power mode" was added. I personally don't like that it is necessary to change the brightness after switching from turbo to quiet. My brightness level should't be stored somewhere. Make it consistent, I'm just changing the power limits

If possible, reduce power supplies size

Have an option to downgrade Bios version

Drop the "microphone sound improvers": sound on the g14 was getting worse by enabling this, that happens on my Duo 16 too. Leave just noise suppression function

You need to add advanced optimus instead of the Ultimate switch. Also on my Duo I can't play HDR games in full screenen while I'm in dGPU mode. Might be NVIDIAia bug though

It might be useful to implement a monitoring utility on top of all windows (like rivatuner)
Improve the sound tunning out of the box. I'm tired of moving the sliders in Dolby. And it's not just Me doing this, there are a lot of posts on reddit about how people improved the sound through sliders. Out of the box, the sound is always flat. Again, that happend both on my g14 2021 and on the Duo

I have a Stix G17 and I would like to have some features from my old G751 back, like the Fn+F7 to turn the monitor and keyboard backlight off and the active timer of the keyboard backlight that would turn off after x min of inactivity great when watching videos or YouTube, this could be implemented right now using Aura with a timer since we already can turn backlights On and Off.

coldfire0101
Level 7
please for the love of god give me some better options in the bios, like yoiu would for other motherboards

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
Stop skimping on your TUF models.
2022 models are all PCIE gen 4 compatible and priced accordingly so, yet they ship with gen 3 drives for the same money as every other gen4 compatible machine that DOES ship with a gen 4 drive.

Screen quality needs looking at there too. Thin bezels are nice and all, but I'd sooner have 2mm extra and less bleed from proper mounting and such.

Your TUF line up may be "budget" but honestly the top line versions are still pretty nicely specced and priced to match it, polish the fit and finish more. If it can cost the same as a baseline RoG machine, then the standard should match it too.

I would seriously consider either using liquid metal on those models or nickel plating the cold plates from factory so enthusiasts can use LM themselves after warranty ends.
After I won a FA507RR I plated and LM'd my FA506QR's CPU and PTM7950'd the GPU as a final cooling modification and the results are amazing. On a GT500 cooler I can run anything I like maxed, no FPS limit and the chips don't exceed 80c. CPU max spikes at 80c depending on ambient and the GPU rarely hits 70c. Some would say that thermal headroom is wasted performance but personally, after LM, 7950 and K5 pro (on VRMs and VRAM), extra mini heatsinks over the VRMs and atop the main chips. Knowing that all those chips are running that much cooler means it can hit it's performance targets easily, hold them and even be subjected to warmer environments and still be within spec adds to reliability and longevity. Hell, that 95w 3070 could easy take more boost if it was allowed.

Whatever your performance target is, aim to overachieve with the cooling on your machines, or make it an option that could be performed at request so customers can keep their warranty. I mean I have seen many complaints about the F15 Dash being a smouldering bag of rubbish because of thermal throttling because of poor efforts. Chips are getting hotter and you're not doing enough to keep them useable.

vasilnvalchev
Level 7
looking at those 3D displays on CES. Asus should implement privacy mode - real screen to be seen only by front and from side to be implemented some static or other screen