cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Make Future Notebook Feature Suggestions Here!

xeromist
Hi all,

ASUS ROG is requesting our best suggestions for ROG product improvements. As a moderator I won’t have the ability to implement your suggestions but I will be picking some of the best to highlight for the ROG team so they know what matters to us, the community.

Some guidelines for this thread:
1) Keep it positive and constructive. In most of the forum I try to allow you all to express your thoughts freely (within reason). This thread has the express purpose of generating constructive suggestions so I will be moderating this thread and deleting posts that do not contribute to that goal.
2) Keep it concise and on topic. Some minor discussion regarding a specific suggestion is welcome but if you would like to have a longer conversation I ask you start an additional thread and link it in your post here. You can also request a moderator move your posts if you have need.
3) Try for realistic ideas that appeal broadly to gamers. A small improvement on an existing ROG product is much more likely to get chosen than an entirely new product that only matters to a small number of people.
4) Support your favorites! You don’t have to come up with a suggestion to help. If you see something you like, quote it and say so! More support for an idea improves its chances.

EDIT:
I’ve updated the titles for these feedback threads to reflect that this is primarily for *future* products. Sorry for the lack of clarity. While there is a chance some ideas could be implemented via software updates it’s most likely any suggestions would be rolled into new products.
Also, these threads are not for issue reporting and such posts won’t reach the right people. Please post issues in the ROG Care > Hardware & Software Support section. Or contact ASUS support via phone or email for immediate assistance.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…
42 REPLIES 42

Hronom
Level 7
Hello, I would like to share my feedback and use case with latest products of ASUS ROG (2022).

My story
Some background about me: I'm not professional gamer, but I like to play in video games in my free time. Also my main work it's a programming.
So think about my use case as professional developer and amateur gamer. I also like to travel, so my configuration mobile enough to move from one place to another, but not extreme mobile when you work from notebook in bed. So I work on table with full power connection,

I found Gaming Laptops as perfect solution for me as I can play in all games and work.
Also I have dual boot: I'm gaming under Windows and work under Linux Mint.

So far laptops from Asus ROG totally satisfy my needs. But with latest model's I found that they become not good for me and I decided to share my use case and what I want to have in future.

I join ROG community starting from the model ROG G750JX. And it's prefect notebook for me at that time. It has possibility to have proper dual boot with Linux and Win.
As same as camera, so I can work and join meetings.
More on that keyboard was also good, since I'm a developer I'm very actively use buttons: Home, End, Delete as same in combination of Shift + Home/End to jump between beginning/ending lines.

But since in 2022 this notebook becomes a bottleneck for latest gaming I decided to renew my notebook.

Feedback
So I bought ROG Strix G733ZX. And I became piss off by design decisions of ASUS.

1. No camera
For some reason ASUS decided to not put camera on notebook, so I can't join meetings with camera ON. So I bought ROG EYE S.
ROG EYE S is good but it's another component that I need to transport everywhere I go with my notebook. Also it take 1 extra port from not many ports in ROG Strix G733ZX.

Can you put good camera and mic in laptops? I'm not care about size of monitor borders. Also can you add privacy curtain, so I can physically close camera?

2. Very low count of ports
Really? You selling Gaming Laptops I'm not care here about weight of it and size actually, so why not put extra ports?
I have wireless headphones so they need two USB ports: one for charging and one for dongle. Also as I mentioned in item 1 I need to put camera in one USB, since notebook don't have camera. Also I have extra monitor(ROG STRIX XG17AHP) so one USB C busy with it.
So in the end in order to connect mouse with charger for wireless headphones I bought USB HUB(ASUS OS200 USB-C DONGLE).
ASUS you trying to sell me more stuff with this?

Please, can you put as many as possible USB/USB C ports?

3. Keyboard
As I mention, when I'm programming - one of the highly usable keys is Home, End, Delete as same in combination of Shift + Home/End to jump between beginning/ending lines.
Now, designers in ASUS ROG decide that they need to re-invent keyboard and instead of putting full keyboard as it was in ROG G750JX they put keyboard where you need to hit FN in order to enable End button, so combinations with Shift+End not comfortable to use now... However I found making dedicated buttons for inc/dec sound and mute - very useful.

So can you put full keyboard as it was in ROG G750JX but with this new extra 5 buttons?

4. Fast replace of SSD's and RAM
In ROG G750JX there was a possibility without full dismantling to replace SSD and RAM to something more powerful. But in ROG Strix G733ZX there no such possibility.

Please, can you allow TWO slots for SSDs to be easily accessible as same as make TWO slots for RAM also easy accessible?

Summary

I see in model of 2023 ASUS added camera back, nice progress. Hope someone will read my post and fix all issues in 2024 models.

BTW, I like design of model ROG G750JX it looks like a stealth air craft, but design of new models it's just a rectangle with lights.
Please can you combine lights with stealth aircraft design?

I already started to look on other vendors(like Dell Alienware) for my next laptop, if situation with ASUS ROG not change, my next notebook will be probably from other vendors.

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
Announcements from CES have been pretty cool tbh.
One thing still strikes me as a bit meh, You don't have any OLED screens, I mean your "Nebula" thig is cool and all but that doesn't offer the best screens to all your ROG range, including the 18in flagship Scar which I do find a little funny. If you want the best response times you know OLED is the way forward here.

I had seen a few other updates to the laptops cooling systems and compounds, now using Vapour chambers and Conductonaut Extreme on the high end models. I can honestly say it's disappointing that you aren't using liquid metal on all laptops with gaming in the name. As a guy who had to heavily modify his FA506QR and use liquid metal on the CPU and Honeywell PTM7950 on the GPU to actually use full power without it sitting on the cusp of throttling or throttling, I know how much of a difference Conductonaut of the normal variety can make to temps. Not everyone has A/C so warmer climates could benefit from TUF models using liquid metal too. Some say thermal headroom is wasted performance, but in laptops case the cooler it can stay the better since there's no boost options or access to PBO and curve optimiser. If you already can do foam gaskets and nickel-plated cooling assemblies then roll it out to your other machines too. Hell, if you sold the plated assembly separate for enthusiasts with the option to have all the premium cooling interface materials used (with proof so repair shops can't just rip people off) some of us would actually pay for that to keep warranty and have better thermals.

I have also read that Lenovo are allowing the use of faster memory in their newer machines, so they listened to feedback. I don't recall if ASUS has actually allowed for that or yet again are just blindsiding laptop gamers again.

xeromist
@Hronom: I moved your thread here where suggestions are being collected specifically for notebooks. Hopefully you will not mind.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

hello
so my featre request for future would be
that MUX switch should be able to switch also external monitor via usbc to be connected only to INTELL GPU in CPU
if would be able to do that then 'gpu eco mode' in gaming tuf dasch 2022 etc would be able to allow disabling geforce when user do not want to
and this would enable possibility to disable GEFORCe completly when no gaming - no heat from heforce / both fans / radiators would be colling CPU only so QUIET mode would be a lot more quiet (for work) then now
now disabling geforce is impossible when user wants to have external monitor / dock because 'GPU ECO MODE DOES NOT SUPPORT EXTWERNAL OUTPUT'
so now even when i does not want use geforce at all - im working
it still need to be powered on - have around 40-50c when idle just passing thrue data from intell GPU calculations to screen
laptop is a lot more hot vs when in ECO mode
fans are turned on alot etc.
please consider it - it would be perfect to be able to desable geforce - maybe in bios etc also ? just to have less heat and still be able to use external monitor
thanks alot and regards

Ragnaraz690
Level 11
Probably said it in a previous post but since it apparently still hasn't happened, I'll suggest it again.

ADVANCED BIOS OPTIONS.
For both higher end TUF models and the ROG ones.

Apparently Lenovo added a few advanced features to their BIOS, including XMP/ RAM tuning. MSI models offer more tuning options too.

Basically for an enthusiast you don't offer enough. For arguments sake, the G17 SE vs the GT77, you go toe to toe from factory, that's nice. The GT77 however could be tweaked in the advanced BIOS, undervolted/overclocked a little, have the RAM boosted and timed better... all of a sudden that none modifiable G17 SE is left behind. Could it likely offer the same options and do just as well or even better? Yes, but you don't allow it.

You're charging the same, yet offering less.

Pinedition
Level 7
Hello. ROG STRIX SCAR 18 has a key FN+AURA. But it switches only between 5 pre-installed profiles. It would be very useful if users could setup this key for their own effects, created in Aura Creator. Such an expensive laptop, but so few features for users..

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Probably super late, but I'd really like to see better Keyboard Layouts.. the current ones are terrible. Bringing back the Asus G752VS layout would be awesome.

Also, bring back true DTR's with nice thick backs, wedge shaped bodies with big heat sinks and big fans that run nice and quiet. Laptops these days are so thin and their fans are so annoying they sound like NEEEEEEEERRRRRRRR going on in your ear.

Use better coils for the 4k series laptops, coil whine is horrible on the Scar 18 and it made me return it.

Make it so track pads have a switch to make them solid state, for users who prefer to just tap to click / right click, or give us back dedicated buttons.

1080P camera?

Bring back slightly thicker bezels, get rid of back light bleed please.

I loved the G750JX and G752VS (current) but all these new units are pretty disappointing. I would have kept the Scar 18 though if it didn't have that horrible coil whine.. everything else like back light bleed and louder fans were tolerable to an extent.

Darnassus wrote:
Probably super late

Not at all. This is a continuous thread.

I agree about fan noise and thickness. The rush to be thinnest and lightest hasn't been the best for people with working hearing. 🙂 I'll add it to the list. Unfortunately, as long as tech reviewers and Apple keep glorifying thinness I doubt much will change, but we can always hope.

JacxLeo
Level 7

The Flow Z13 is very close to my ideal device, perfectly portable while still being quite powerful, with the option to add even more power with the XG mobile, i would love to use one as my main device but while it is perfect to handle the gaming and free time entertainment it can be a bit lacking for profesional workloads, for that it needs a few improvements, mainly in 2 areas.

To begin, the RAM, while 16GB is enough for games, for professionals, especially engineers like me it is not enough, i feel like having a 32GB RAM option would provide a lot of headroom for games, as well as being enough for professionals who plan to use the Z13 for both games and work.

The second issue that needs to be addressed is with the XG Mobile, The XG Mobile is a great way to expand the capabilities of the Z13 but the issue is that it requires to be plugged to power all the time you are using it, in some parts of the world blackouts are very common and happen fairly often, if such a thing were to happen the XG Mobile becomes a hazzard for the integrity of the Z13 because the system needs to go through the process of disconnecting it and switching to integrated graphics but since there is no power it is unable to which causes the Operating System to crash and turn off possibly corrupting data, an easy solution to this would be to add a small battery to the XG Mobile, enough so that when it detects that the power source is unplugged the XG Mobile can tell the Z13 it should switch to integrated graphics, which would prevent system failures.

Now, a few more features i would love for the Z13 to have is, first of all, swappable RAM, this would solve the issue of RAM because now, if you need more RAM you can simply swap the SO-DIMM modules, and another feature i would love is more NVME storage slots, i know the Z13 has one NVME 2230 size slot that is easy to reach and comes with 1TB, but 1TB is almost nothing for current users, having another 2230 slot can solve this issue by giving users the option to add more if they need, and if some day higher capacity 2230 size drives come to the market users could have the option to add even more storage.

Zafaryaqoobask
Level 7

As technology continues to evolve, so do our laptops. With each passing year, new features and innovations are introduced, making our devices more powerful, efficient, and user-friendly. So, what features would we like to see in future notebooks?

First and foremost, longer battery life is a must. While many laptops claim to have all-day battery life, the reality is often far less. We need notebooks that can last all day without needing to be charged.

Another important feature is improved portability. As more people work on the go, notebooks need to be lightweight and easy to carry. Thinner and lighter designs, without sacrificing power or performance, would be a great addition.

One area where notebooks could improve is in cooling. As laptops become more powerful, they also generate more heat. Better cooling solutions would not only help to extend the life of the device, but also prevent discomfort during long periods of use.

We'd like to see more powerful graphics cards, faster SSDs, and more RAM. These improvements would not only benefit gamers but also professionals who need powerful machines for editing and rendering.