Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M16 Raid 0 Performance not as expected

Highlander
Level 8
Hello Everyone.
I hope everyone is doing well...

Recently acquired a best buy GU603HM. This has the I9-11900H and a 3060 graphics card.

This laptop is supposed to be PCIe Gen 4 and according to CPUZ it is.

I installed a pair of 980Pro 2 TB Drives. I was able to clone properly the factory system into this RAID array using paragon-software. Laptop boots fine and no real issues.

When running crystal mark 7.0 I am getting the following read/write speeds.

https://prnt.sc/1qvorgf

I find this to be half of what you would expect from these drives.

What are the possible situations?

Is it that one of the PCIe M.2 Slots is Gen 3 and the other is Gen 4?

For a laptop that supports raid from the bios, this would seem like a bad choice, but I have seen it in other laptops.

If this is the case, then you are losing performance as apparently you get a loss in performance in the random category when using raid 0 with M.2 SSDs.

Any advice would be welcome.

I like this machine but it could be a deal breaker and getting the AMD Advanced would be the way to go.
GU603HM
16GB RAM
2x2TB Samsung 980 Pro
Wicked Fast Nitrous LS7 Corvette
14 REPLIES 14

RedSector73
Level 12
You are running - strip 0 and what byte size ?

Also why RAID ?
I get it will win every benchmark but I doubt you can feel or measure the difference NVMe without it vs one in RAID in the real world (unless it real RAID SAS with real controllers not onbaord ones)

Highlander
Level 8
Honestly.. boot times and I have a couple of programs that I could use that extra difference. Plus I can see both drives as a single drive. Nice having 4TB single drive
GU603HM
16GB RAM
2x2TB Samsung 980 Pro

RedSector73
Level 12
My system boots in 12 seconds on Windows 10 default load and 15-18 seconds with my loadout. Just baseline for you.

I think not having identical drives in raid is going to limit to slowest drive.

Hope this is helpful.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Nope, thats about all you get on a laptop. The raid controller is downstream of the DMI BUS. Could have told you that beforehand. literally everything on the laptop goes down 4 shared lanes.

BigJohnny wrote:
Nope, thats about all you get on a laptop. The raid controller is downstream of the DMI BUS. Could have told you that beforehand. literally everything on the laptop goes down 4 shared lanes.

yeah that was what trying to say... but didn't.

Highlander
Level 8
They are identical. 2tb 980Pros both. 4tb total. I was wondering if one of the slots is PCIe 3 and the other is PCIe 4.

Any way to figure it out?

Thanks
GU603HM
16GB RAM
2x2TB Samsung 980 Pro

Highlander
Level 8
That is what it is!!!!!!!!!!! Secondary slot is PCIe 3.0

https://prnt.sc/1qx19x6
GU603HM
16GB RAM
2x2TB Samsung 980 Pro

Highlander
Level 8
I think its more that the main m.2 slot is going straight through the processor and the secondary slot is going via the pch.*

Otherwise both drives would perform the same independently just bottlenecked together and this is not the case.

I guess this was intended to have one optane drive and one regular data drive.

I need to do more testing to see if raid still offers benefit even while max throughput is maxed out as for one. Its one single logical drive and 2 i wonder if they use the cache combined and that could make it quicker for smaller tasks which is what i want to speed up.

GU603HM
16GB RAM
2x2TB Samsung 980 Pro

Two gen 3 M.2 Optane drives in raid zero VROC then a single gen 3 AIC P4800X optane drive, note the change in the 4K speeds. If I seperate the two in raid0 they look more like the second example.