cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to improve Thermals on the New GM501GS

chuizhuiz
Level 7
Hi, I was wondering, I recently got the Asus GM501, with GTX 1070 Max Q, but when I play PUBG my computer CPU temperatures goes to 96C. I'm running it at 80 fps cap at medium settings.

What do you recommend form me, because I want to game but not to harm the processor. As soon as I saw that I close the game.

Would you recommend undervolting? or something like that?

Do you thing a cooling pad will help?

Thanks for the help.
4 REPLIES 4

Mysta
Level 7
chuizhuiz wrote:
Hi, I was wondering, I recently got the Asus GM501, with GTX 1070 Max Q, but when I play PUBG my computer CPU temperatures goes to 96C. I'm running it at 80 fps cap at medium settings.

What do you recommend form me, because I want to game but not to harm the processor. As soon as I saw that I close the game.

Would you recommend undervolting? or something like that?

Do you thing a cooling pad will help?

Thanks for the help.

This reviewer did UV and OC'd the GPU and got great results. (click for youtube vid)

ROG_HARDCORE
Level 7
First,

GM501GS use Full power GTX1070

To improve thermal, your room temperature have to improve. Keep 24C room temperature.
And repaste the cpu and gpu may help as well

I just got mine earlier this week. I am frankly disappointed in the thermals. GPU seems to be doing well in the upper 70s on max load, but I was getting spikes up to 95 on the CPU with fans on overboost on demanding games (the witcher 3 on ultra). Ambient temperature is 24C . I don't know how to undervolt, and I'm not excited to void my warranty to repaste. What I did however, is frame cap to 60 using RivaTuner and the temps came down significantly. 70s to low 80s (Doom) and mid 80s (Witcher 3). I can live with it. I suspect this is a very common problem. I called customer support and they claim that the CPU shouldn't be much higher then 70. They want me to RMA. Sure don't want a refurbished system.

drmcnulty wrote:
I just got mine earlier this week. I am frankly disappointed in the thermals. GPU seems to be doing well in the upper 70s on max load, but I was getting spikes up to 95 on the CPU with fans on overboost on demanding games (the witcher 3 on ultra). Ambient temperature is 24C . I don't know how to undervolt, and I'm not excited to void my warranty to repaste. What I did however, is frame cap to 60 using RivaTuner and the temps came down significantly. 70s to low 80s (Doom) and mid 80s (Witcher 3). I can live with it. I suspect this is a very common problem. I called customer support and they claim that the CPU shouldn't be much higher then 70. They want me to RMA. Sure don't want a refurbished system.

In case anyone cares, I undervolted my CPU with Throttlestop and dropped my CPU temps down to mid to upper 70s on demanding games (ex. Monster hunter world). Made a huge difference. Overall effect on game performance is minimal. My first strike score went from 14000 and change to 13000 and change. Still using stock paste. GPU is doing well. Happily have never had any trouble with the thermals.