cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gx502gv waking up from deep sleep automatically after sometime

dvrko
Level 8
Apparently I’m being unfortunate with my gx502 but it seems like when I put it in sleep mode (when I suspend it) it’s stays suspended for some time but then it turns on automatically any1 got a fix?
19 REPLIES 19

Blake1
Level 10
Dear all,
May I know when did you start to notice this issue?
was there any update or modification before that?
Seems like the model and cause varies, please kindly share more information.
Also, does this happen in safe-mode? or have you ever tried restoring OS?
Thank you so much.

My problem was more or less from the beginning -- I got the laptop (GX502GV), ran all the updates (Windows, NVidia, Asus), and almost immediately had problems resuming from sleep. I have not tried safe mode or restoring the OS, because it only happens intermittently and is not quite annoying enough to go through hours of troubleshooting. (That's also why I haven't tried to contact Asus about it yet.)

Now, for the last few weeks, I haven't had the problem. I made a few tweaks to power settings, and disabled "Allow this device to wake the computer" for the NVidia USB-C device as described previously. I think Armoury Crate updated a week ago through the Windows Store?

I also noticed at one point that I was seeing freezes / spontaneous reboots a few seconds after plugging in the power adapter. Coincidentally, it was very common for me to plug in the power just around the same time I was resuming from sleep -- I'd pick up the laptop, open it, turn it on, then get the plug and hook it up. So, I started turning it on and waiting until I was at a stable desktop for a minute or so, *then* plugging in to power. Since I started doing that I don't think I've had any freezing during resume / boot. It could be my "superstition" about not attaching the power adapter until the system is finished resuming, or it could be one of the device settings I changed, or a software update, or some combination of the three.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello THw0rted,
Thank you so much for your sharing, we will keep paying attention on this issue and keep investigate it.
If there is any update, please let us know.
Thank you again.

It's been a few months since I posted here. I still mostly don't plug/unplug while resuming but I almost never experience failure to resume like that anymore.

I have a different issue -- the laptop wakes up for Windows Update at 3AM, even when unplugged, even with Wake Timers disabled in every power profile -- but that's probably a matter for another thread.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello THw0rted,
Just normal Windows update? how did you find out?
May your share some screenshot?
Also, when did this issue start to happen as well? update to 2004?
Thank you.

Thanks for getting back to me, Blake. I don't think the Windows Update wake-up issue is Asus-specific, as I've seen others posting similar complaints. I followed some advice online, and have: totally disabled wake timers, disabled the "wake this computer" setting for all Windows Update tasks under Task Scheduler, and added a registry key that's supposed to disable "WakeUp" for "Maintenance" tasks. I know it's better to try one thing at a time, but I don't really care which one works so long as one of them does.

I do think there might still be some weirdness with power management particular to this system, though. Just after I wrote that I hadn't experienced an unresponsive system in a long time, I got cocky and tried plugging in the system as I turned it on -- sure enough, I had maybe 30 seconds at the desktop before the system froze and I had to do a hard power cycle. Whatever it is, might be impacting the Windows Update problem I'm having, because after the system wakes up it never tries to go back to sleep, as far as I can tell. I found it yesterday morning, after another overnight Windows Update wake-up, with the orange charge-indicator LED blinking (meaning low battery, I think) and the red power-button LED solid, like when the system is on, but it refused to wake all the way up and I had to hold the power button to shut it down. All of this just smells like problems coming in and out of sleep.

I've found a very interesting lead. This answer on Stackoverflow suggests that the computer could be trying to wake up from sleep to enter hibernation, but failing to hibernate. I checked, and my wake-up events seem to correspond to 3 hours after I put the computer away for the night! I disabled hibernate (
powercfg /h off
) and I suspect that might be the end of the mysterious overnight wake-ups.

(The Windows Update issue could have been a problem too, or the tasks could have just been coincidentally running once the computer was awake anyway.)

Blake1
Level 10
Hello THw0rted,
Thank you so much for the sharing.
I will keep notes and report them.

I've got another one. Laptop was dead when I went to use it this evening, again.

Last night, I closed the laptop (so it went to sleep) at 12:08 AM, according to Event Viewer. At 12:02 PM, it woke up and immediately logged "Critical Battery Trigger Met". I'm pretty sure it shouldn't drain the whole battery in 12 hours but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt -- maybe I had run the battery down somewhat before putting it away. The reason I think it's worth mentioning here is, several seconds after wake-up, I see this in the logs:

> User-mode process attempted to change the system state by calling SetSuspendState or SetSystemPowerState APIs.

and the "Details" tab shows an "APICallerName" value of

> \Device\HarddiskVolume3\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\asussci2.inf_amd64_b12b0d488bd75133\ASUSOptimization\AsusOptimization.exe

A few seconds later (maybe 10-15), the system resumed from sleep again. About 15 seconds later, back to sleep, then awake again, on and on every 15 seconds until the battery died -- I lost count, but at least 30 times in a row. My theory is, maybe "AsusOptimization" was not tested on a system where hibernation has been totally disabled? Anyway, I can report this separately if need be, it's not exactly the same issue as before.

Mack023
Level 9

I have solved my issue by checking power options of your network adapters.