cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GU502LW - Thunderbolt 3 Bug - DPC Latency

ha1o2surfer99
Level 7
I have been trying to track down what sounds like massive DPC latency when using a Thunderbolt 3 hub AND using a display out on that hub. Below I will describe the issue.

I have 2 Thunderbolt 3 docks, one at work and one at my home office. Both are from separate companies with separate hardware attached and completely different branded Thunderbolt 3 cables.

When connected to any of those docks, the USB ports are basically nonfunctional but with a catch.. If you are using any of the video outputs in combination with low CPU usage on the dock and listening to any audio output device, it gets really distorted and has a lot of pops of clicks. If you have any other devices attached to the USB hubs on the dock (built in usb ports), they randomly disconnect. This goes away under 3 conditions.

1) increase CPU load past 15%
2) disconnect all display outputs (this is so the nvidia card is not active)
3) for the USB disconnect issue, use the thunderbolt 3 passthrough port and attach to another USB dock and use those USB ports for your mouse, keyboard and audio output device.

the DPC latency mon app shows the nvidia dll causes massive spikes while not under the 3 scenarios listed above. Things I have tried are listed below that didn't work

1) fresh install of 1909/2004
2) fresh copy of the stock asus image that came with my laptop
3) linux mint latest version
4) all supported thunderbolt drivers (including non DCH and the ones that are listed on asus' site.

i'm out of ideas, if I can't find a fix, it's going to have to be returned to best buy sadly.

More information: This doesn't occur on any of model laptop I have. My Dell G7 7588 had no such issues with these docks, My HP Elitebook 840 also doesn't have any issues. in fact, this Asus M15 can't support the DP out on the docks + using a USB C to Display out on the TB3 passthrough port at all. I have to use an MST Hub on the docks DP out to get multiple monitors. Which really stinks. (yes ive tried not using the display port hub in my troubleshooting)

what am i missing? 😕
3 REPLIES 3

Blake1
Level 10
Hello halo2surfer99,
May I have the brand or model of the hub and external devices you are using ?
I have reported this issue to related department.
May you record a video of how you find out this issue?
Thank you so much for your review!

Hi!

These are the models of the 2 docks.

1) https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Thunderbolt-Dock-Delivery-Windows/dp/B078PLPSTV/ref=sr_1_7?dchil...

2)https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Thunderbolt-Charging-Compatible-DisplayPort/dp/B075M1XHCK/ref=sr_1_4...

my coworker also has a dock he uses for his 2016 macbook pro that also has the same issues when connecting to my laptop. but not with his macbook

I am bringing both docks to work today and I will take a video of the issues.

EDIT: i have the videos made. I disabled secureboot as my Dell and HP don't have this enabled and my audio problems are not occuring???? I'm so confused. I believe it has someting to do with Kernal DMA protection. my HP and Dell have that disabled.

Blake1
Level 10
Hello halo2surfer99,
May I have the video?
You can send it to me through PM if you have concern.
Thank you.