cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM501GS huge fps drop in games

kqin85
Level 7
Hello everyone,

First of all sorry for my very bad english , i'm french.

I have a big problem with my new Zephyrus M - GM501GS. When i m playing games (all games actualy) my laptop go between 85°C (185F )and 90°C (194F) about 5 minutes later and my fps drop to 30fps. When i have low fps the temperature fall to 75° (167F) and my fps go back to 140fps and so on. This is completly unplayable.

I tested a lot of things, try to clean install and same thing.

I m living in Tahiti and ambiant temperature is around 30° (86F). I do not change thermal paste from GPU and CPU because always in warranty and don't want to open it.

Really need your help. Do you have any ideas ?

Thank you in advance for your reply

Best regards

Emeric
8 REPLIES 8

ryanhaver
Level 7
I don't know if you ever resolved this issue, but I am about to return my GX501GI for similar problems. Mine appears to be overheating and thermal throttling, but I see the same result where games will play fine at great FPS and then suddenly they are all broken and FPs is so low games are unplayable. I'm inclined to this this particular issue is Nvidia Driver related.

I did two things before I started having problems:

1. Updated the BIOS
2. Updated GRaphics Drivers

ryanhaver wrote:
I don't know if you ever resolved this issue, but I am about to return my GX501GI for similar problems. Mine appears to be overheating and thermal throttling, but I see the same result where games will play fine at great FPS and then suddenly they are all broken and FPs is so low games are unplayable. I'm inclined to this this particular issue is Nvidia Driver related.

1. Updated the BIOS

Thank you for your reply.

Still have the problem. Yesterday, i was happy to see there was a new bios update. Did the update. But still broken fps.
I tired to underclock the gpu... same tried the cpu and gpu and same...
I m disapointed.
I ll call Asus and send my PC to repair.
I'm sorry to say that but upon receipt of the new, I intend to sell it.
i made a mistake to buy an portable Asus Rog.

ryanhaver wrote:

1. Updated the BIOS

>> 2. Updated GRaphics Drivers

I would go back to the original nVidia driver you had before the issues. I have the same laptop and I did not update to the latest nVidia driver in fear of having new issues since I already get 100+ FPS in the games I'm playing at MAX settings literally - My driver version is v399.24 and I have no FPS drop issues. I'm running BIOS 304

Pheebau wrote:

I would go back to the original nVidia driver you had before the issues. I have the same laptop and I did not update to the latest nVidia driver in fear of having new issues since I already get 100+ FPS in the games I'm playing at MAX settings literally - My driver version is v399.24 and I have no FPS drop issues. I'm running BIOS 304

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

i tried to go back to the 399.24 and same. Still have FPS drops. I really think my GS501GS have a problem.

I ll call asus soon.

Cya

Hello,

I noticed that by putting the GPU clock at -200 and the memory clock at -2000 and the GPU temp target at max 80 ° with Asus GPU Tweak II, I have no more problem.

Obviously I'm losing in frame per second but it 's playable.

It's still crazy to have to do that to have a functional machine.

Someone with similar problem ?

Thanks

Cya

breaking news.

this notebook is not made for people who live in a hot country.

I now have the problem even by lowering the frequencies. Sad...

last chance, change the thermal paste with grizzly and will see.

Begin to really not love Asus on notebook. ..

Cya

Pheebau wrote:

hi!

just bought the gm501gs, i have a question, when you plug in your headset (i used a phone headset, and tested 3 headsets) into the headset and mic combo jack, is the sound ok? because my right side of the headset is not working, like NO sound at all... tried re-installing the driver, updating it, still nothing..

EfK89
Level 8
Have you tried with throttlestop? Dont use GPU tweak, i mean dont make changes to the gpu clock, voltage or whatever and focus in the cpu. In throttlestop undervolt the cpu and disable turbo boost and see what happens, from there you could change how much do you want the turbo clock to be until getting the performance/stability you want.