cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G72GX video kernel stopped and recovered

dark_xide
Level 7
I have recently replaced my hard drive because it went bad and this issue was going on before this so I figured the 2 were related. After I installed the new HDD, I downloaded the latest nvidia drivers (301...something) and I still get this error about every 5min. I haven't played any games at all, what I am doing when this happens is just opening up folders within windows (haven't been able to do much more than that) After about 10 times of the kernel crashing the whole computer locks up and I have to hold down the power button to get it off. I have changed out every stick of ram in it, I also updated the bios to 602, anymore ideas I can possibly try? Thanks for your help in advance.

EDIT: Now i'm getting BSOD's with nvdlmdm.sys. Also I forgot to mention i'm using Windows 7 64bit. and a more descriptive description of the folder issue is when I open a folder, control panel, etc. The contents show very briefly, they all disappear, and it says searching... at the bottom, then they same happens, so it basically shows, flickers, nothing there...starts to load icons...boom nothing again screen flashes black and the message "video display driver has stopped responding and has recovered" show at the bottom. The computer was off for 8+ hours and this happens within the first 5min. fans are also working, and I blew any dust out of them last night.

EDIT 2: Same thing also happens in safe mode and also in low resolution 640x480 mode.
3 REPLIES 3

Gorman
Level 12
Install all the other drivers too, not just the GPU driver.

Yes I did install all the other drivers first. Device manager shows nothing is missing.

UPDATE:

Ok so after continuously trying everything I can possibly think of and searching google all night like a meth addict....I forgot to mention one thing, when I hit the start button it stops until the start menu goes down....today I accidentally hit the Ctrl key on the right hand side, and the problem stopped...so far I have restarted it several times, when windows loads I hit Ctrl and everything is fine...so what I assumed was a video card issue may be a keyboard issue instead...very strange. If anyone else has a similar issue try that...or and key for that matter.